The Club With No Xxxx

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
SWMBO has fully recovered after three weeks of the flu and on arising from her sick bed we went for a drive up to Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast for a look around and fish n chips and ended up in the Caloundra RSL. It's a big club, probably a bit bigger than Dee Why RSL as one example. Wandered up to the bar and the club is Fosters only. Amazing not to see a XXXX tap in a Queensland Club. There's just about every Fosters brew available in Queensland on tap:

VB
VB Gold
Cascade Pale Ale
Cascade Light
Carlton Draught
Carlton Mid
Carlton Black
Carlton Pure Blonde
Guinness
Kilkenny
Carlsberg BUL
Stella Artois BUL

Not a bad choice of mega beers at one bar, for non home brewers (i.e. 99 percent of the public). I partook of a Cascade Pale which I don't mind at all, and a Carlsberg that was totally underwhelming and I'm sure I tasted POR. However it got me thinking, if the Club had gone the other way and gone Lion Nathan:

XXXX
XXXX Gold
Hahn Special Light
Tooheys Old
Tooheys New
TED
Hahn Super Dry
Heineken

Pretty poor list hey. Lion seem to be more intent on killing lines off rather than keeping a good range, probably because they are offshore and just using Australia as a milking cow? I bet XXXX heavy will be dead within ten years. Mark my words. Of course it would be nice to see some James Squires or Little Creatures but we're talking RSL here FFS. <_<

PS I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when the committee were meeting the killer Fosters sales team, I bet some heavy wheeling and dealing went on :rolleyes:

Hahn Premium
Boags Draught
Hahn Super Dry 3.5
Tooheys New White Stag

Not to mention the premiums, James Squire Golden Ale common on tap these days. Occasionally find Kirin on tap too. Be fair, if they're going to carry some of the Fosters premium stuff don't discount the possibility of a few premiums from Lion.

Hahn Premium
Boags Draught
Hahn Super Dry 3.5
Tooheys New White Stag

Not to mention the premiums, James Squire Golden Ale common on tap these days. Occasionally find Kirin on tap too. Be fair, if they're going to carry some of the Fosters premium stuff don't discount the possibility of a few premiums from Lion.

Where abouts are you OzMick? I'd love to have a few Hahn Premiums on tap, never seen it in QLD or the other brews you list . I reckon HP is the pick of all Lion Nathan Aus beers but it's becoming hard to find it even in bottles hereabouts. It definitely well kicks Crown's arse. Of course many brews are State only, when in NSW I go the Resch's Draught when in a regular pub or club, but not available north of the Tweed sadly.

BribieG,
should have kept on going about 15 minutes up to Sunshine Coast Brewery, great fush & chups @ $9.90 and good Best Bitter, Dunkle weizen, Summer Ale etc. Thats where Saturday started going off the rails for me anyways :rolleyes: .

Lion must of pissed off the committee something severe. Still a one sided strategy to sell one suppliers brews is always a risk. Imagine if CUB went on strike!! How are they going to leverage their next negotiation when the tap terms run out. I went there a couple years ago and thought it a bit run down. Much prefer the Maroochy Surf Life Savers.

Cheers,

JJ

BribieG,
should have kept on going about 15 minutes up to Sunshine Coast Brewery, great fush & chups @ $9.90 and good Best Bitter, Dunkle weizen, Summer Ale etc. Thats where Saturday started going off the rails for me anyways :rolleyes: .

hey BG

is it a proper micro? has it been goin for a while? i go and visit me uncle at Beerwah every now and then and get stuck into his HB, and he's never mentioned it??? :icon_offtopic:

BribieG,

Bugger, I thought they were just a shed on an industrial estate, they have a bar and a serving area? Next trip definitely :icon_drool2:

Lion must of pissed off the committee something severe. Still a one sided strategy to sell one suppliers brews is always a risk. Imagine if CUB went on strike!! How are they going to leverage their next negotiation when the tap terms run out. I went there a couple years ago and thought it a bit run down. Much prefer the Maroochy Surf Life Savers.

Cheers,

JJ

They've totally done the place out (We're talking about the RSL up the road from Maccas not the surf club at Kings Beach here), real swish nowadays. although the food has gone down the gurgler.

Latest posts

Back