What Beer/s Did You Drink Before Homebrewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We lived around the corner from what is now First Choice liquor on Parramatta Rd in Ashfield.....It wasn't unusual to see the 2 of us with a case on each shoulder wandering back down Frederick Street.

Tooheys New
Tooheys Old
Bundy Rum

Now its fine AG brews and well aged single malt scotch.

Life could not be better.

Still enjoy a schooner or 3 or Tooheys Old at the club on a friday night when we take the kids there for dinner though :)

cheers

Started in Qld
xxxx, sometimes Gold Top
NSW
Resches, Tooheys, KB, DA
VIC
Whatever but I remember that Abbots Lager in bottles was great
Tas
Cascade (in 1965 not a great drop)
NZ
Dominion Bitter (I think) DB
Overseas
Anchor, Tiger, San Miguel
1973 started home brewing. Since then I have home brewed in three states and now drink mainly my own, but when out here in Qld mainly xxxxGold. When visiting down south, usually the local brew unless I can get some Japanese beer or San Miguel.

I didn't like beer much when I was a teen, but as an apprentice you drank it because it was cheap!
My preferred drop was scotch and dry ginger ale, but just couldn't often afford it.

As a result I drank West End draught, West End export, hated the Green death (Southwark)
and then there was the imported stuff like VB :rolleyes:

Then my brother gave mr some Kilkenny to try ... the seeds were sown and then the beer journey began!

Cheers all,
BB

Prior to brewing I was getting sick of the all the old usuals and there was a bottlo not far from my missus place (think it was called Tosti Cellars) which regularly advertised $30 slabs of "Premium & Imported" beers; they were things like amsterdam mariner, orangeboom (spelling??), kaiserdom pils etc.
They weren't fantastic, but they were all better than the what I had been taught to accept and it got me interested in trying other beers n styles.
Shortly afterward a mate laid down a challenege to brew our own, the stars aligned and brewing took off

There are no bad beers IMHO but I drank some woeful Swedish beer a long time a go.
Pripps *Bla. (*Blue)
I progressed to english beers like McEwans and took a liking to mid england beers like Newcaslte brown ale and the Tetley variants. I came to OZ and found the a redback could get me Blind drunk at the local and regressed to drinking VB and Crown lager.
Since then I tried many from Corona to Le trappe and I can even down some strange beers of passion fruit and Banana flavours these days.

Sucking on a Toohey old ATM

Miller lite yeah!
cascade draught/premium light
JS amber/ipa
home brew

Mainly new/vb, and fosters light ice, but Old was always my fave, especially longnecks of it when me & mates were off camping down at Kangaroo Valley.
However I'd leave no beer untried at the pub.
Then came a trip to Europe....
The same applies to the journey from Bourbon & Cokes to Scotch on the rocks.

Back