Xxxx Edges Out Vb As Our Favourite Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find this really interesting as over here in Perth, NOBODY drinks XXXX. It's virtually unknown.

Really? I drank it in Dampier 8 years ago, it was cheaper than Emu Bittter.

I think that x-amount of English breweries thought of X, XX, XXX, XXXX up to 6X before anyone down here ;)
Thankfully I have done a little more research into South Australian brewing history than a journo from a indi paper. Just to say you are correct, Adelaide's early breweries used the English X system on there beers including the Walkerville brewery.

Really? I drank it in Dampier 8 years ago, it was cheaper than Emu Bittter.
Sure, it's not impossible to find, and I've never been to Dampier - just saying it is sooooo far away from being "the most popular beer" it's quite strange to hear it's so popular elsewhere in aus. It's just not a common beet at all!

I used to drink XXXX Bitter when I lived in Sydney, just to shit the locals.

"Oi, fark! Whadarya drinkin that shit for?"

"Sorry fellas. Should I be drinking a Victorian beer?"

"xxxxxxxxxx".

Just on this note - I was at a work event at which there was a few hours of free booze on Wednesday night. Only available beer was bottled Carlton or cascade light. I'd think one of melbourne's biggest exhibition openings could at least spring for James Squire.

Then I convinced a bunch of people that I was with that we should go to Beer Deluxe. They arrived ahead of me and decided it would be fun to buy a few bottles of champagne for the table.

I don't go to beer deluxe for the champagne.

The horror. I feel your pain on this one. Been there.

On the four X, I am not really surprised it has taken over VB. There's been some really good ad campaigns on this stuff.

Fear_n_loath

Back