Xxxx Edges Out Vb As Our Favourite Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha, not only do we kick those southern states in the Rugby, we now do in beers sales too :lol:

I like XXXX because it's not made with PoR. Every other Aussie Lager is essentially the same beer.

I don't know about the rules at other sporting venues but Canberra stadium won't let you take glass in to the ground, but don't have a problem with homebrew in PET bottles.

The Brumbies loss to the Reds last week was a little bit easier to handle after a few glasses of my own knowing I wasn't paying $8.00 for Tooheys :)

Try living in Qld - you can't take a damn thing in - you get patted down and searched like a crim to make sure that you aren't taking anything in that might possibly reduce the stadium's ability to fleece you dry, whilst watching your favourite sporting team, nor anything that might provide you with the slightest amusement not related sporting event.

And then, they only sell midstrength at overpriced prices.

Gabba = can't take a beach ball or drums, or anything fun (like the West Indies actually do). Result = sterile environment.
Suncorp Stadium = searched before you walk through the gates, anything of value is confiscated. Can't take in beer cans, or even a plastic bottle of coke. Charge $6 for a can of Cascade Premium light or $7 (IIRC) for XXXX Gold.

My team (finally, after Channel 9 screwing with us for the last 2 3/4 months) gets to play on a Sunday afternoon. Not only do I have to put up with the incessant whining of supporters from another state saying "it's your team's fault our team doesn't get a go on telly" (even when it's not - our team rates, your team doesn't and our club gets no control over scheduling), but even worse than that - XXXX Gold.

Hence the reason I never go to the cricket, league, union anymore, and rarely Football games (and it's only because the Roar tickets are uber cheap).

/rant

Experienced my first xxxx gold about 3 weeks ago on my honeymoon, road trip from Vic to Darwin...Didnt know they made beeer flavoured cordial...Flat and crap...! And VB...It is what it is...you either like it or hate it...!

Gotta love this comment from the news.com.au website:

Oki doki of Carlton Posted at 11:59 PM May 29, 2012
The real mystery is how they get the cats to squat over so many bottles...... A shocking drop... Only surpassed by 3.1% of sadists drinking corona.... That is enough to drive a man to drink!

GOLD! :lol:
ironically the only one out of the beers listed I would drink is Corona.

I don't think it is all bad news ... a large % of the large % unlisted would have chosen quality craft beers.
As a beer drinking nation our tastes are improving.

Craft beer will cost around $25.00 a carton more than XXXX Gold etc, there are people out there that find a carton of Gold a real luxury once a week.

I don't find those figures surprising at all.

batz

The other point is - whilst I try to educate those close to me - family & friends - about better beer, with varying success (my brother says "tried a lot of craft beers - they're all meh - and more expensive than <insert Eurolager>" - I can understand, Dan's craft offerings can be a bit bland at times) - do I want the average ocker, bogan suddenly clueing onto craft beer?

This might sound classist, but realistically, beer's image (quite a lot of it self-promoted) is that it is a swillers drink, made for Daz, Gaz, Shaz or Baz to knock a dozen of them over in a night, belch like an impacted bullock and recycle the next day as VB. Taste, flavour or quality are not high on their agenda.

If I drink craft beer, and someone sees me a. with a glass, not just a stubbie and/or b. if I can't get a glass, a stubbie of something without a canary yellow or bottle green label (or in a clear bottle) - they are immediately going to think "he's drinking something different" - and differentiate me from the pack.

I don't care about being differentiated from the pack, because I'm self-obsessed (I'll leave that to Corona drinkers with their lemon poking out of the bottle) - I want to be differentiated from the pack, because I drink beer not as an exercise in overconsumption of a poor, cheap, badly tasting, industrially produced drink, but because a well made beer is a tasty, complex drink born of its creator's care and creativity in it's own right and I wish to consume it for flavour and in moderation.

Wine can be the same too, but I prefer good beer. If there is no good beer, and I don't feel like anything else, I'll drink water. I did at work's Melbourne Cup function last year.

So my answer is - leave megaswill to those who drink it to get drunk. Let the craft beer (and brewer's effort) be left for those who appreciate it for what it is.

Goomba

Beer is traditionally/historically a working person's/peasant's drink. The industrialised version of that (a la the blokey image of which you speak) is shit irritating marketting but by the same token, I'd like to see beer remain accessible to the people who made it what it is. God forbid it become the domain only of toffs.

I'm also not such a beer snob that I would turn down carlton draught/whatever at a work function as beer also has and always has had a context. I won't eat sheep's eyeballs at home but if I got offered one among people who consume them regularly, I'll have a nibble. If the nibble makes the pain and social awkwardness of hanging out with some of my managers get dulled a bit, then all the more reason.

Snobbery and beer appreciation/knowledge are separate things.

I'm not sure this above article should be a big surprise to anyone. Do any of you guys listen to pop music or mainstream radio or watch commercial television?

Beer is traditionally/historically a working person's/peasant's drink. The industrialised version of that (a la the blokey image of which you speak) is shit irritating marketting but by the same token, I'd like to see beer remain accessible to the people who made it what it is. God forbid it become the domain only of toffs.

I'm also not such a beer snob that I would turn down carlton draught/whatever at a work function as beer also has and always has had a context. I won't eat sheep's eyeballs at home but if I got offered one among people who consume them regularly, I'll have a nibble. If the nibble makes the pain and social awkwardness of hanging out with some of my managers get dulled a bit, then all the more reason.

Snobbery and beer appreciation/knowledge are separate things.

I'm not sure this above article should be a big surprise to anyone. Do any of you guys listen to pop music or mainstream radio or watch commercial television?

I should have added that I don't drink most aussie swill, because it gives me a blinding headache! :)

Had a Carlton Mid at the football last year - Saturday night game. I was still paying for it monday.

But I take what you say on board. Snobbery appears ugly, and I'm not engaging in some class conscious pontifical self-obsession. I'm just saying that Carlton/Tooheys/XXXX/VB or whatever, firstly isn't my cup of tea - and given that it's image is industrial swill, and part of our binge drinking culture (along with premixes) - I don't want to be associated with that image.

I drink beer because I like the flavour and I like beer with flavour. I had a guy at the bottlo a few months back sneer at me when I got a Brisbane Bitter ("we used to call it Brisbane River") can - courtesy of CUB holding onto their IP. I actually liked it and went through a phase of buying that for about 2 weeks, but given I normally buy <insert craft beer here>, he thought it a massive step back. In truth - I thought it was a nice malty, balanced easy drinking beer.

Tooheys Extra Dry 4.4 per cent

i think it was my effort alone that put them above CUB mid with my effort at the local footy club last wed watching the footy...

F$#% i was crook the next day :icon_vomit:

taught me not to drink megaswill :lol:

i think it was my effort alone that put them above CUB mid with my effort at the local footy club last wed watching the footy...

Sounds like you're still a little hungover!

I barfed - one beer and I barfed. I understand your pain, Maheel.

Goomba

I'm off to a mate's place tomorrow with a 30 block of xxxx cans. He's a mechanic and he's tearing down my ride on mower & rebuilding it. He drinks gold and we plan on drinking most of the day. Gold has its time and place.

On a side note, just finished listening to 2UE from Sydney talking about this survey. After all the talk about mainstream beers, the host asked the expert what his favourite beers were. His number 1 was Burleigh Heads Brewery 28 Pale Ale.....fitting end to the segment if you ask me.

I haven't had XXXX Gold in a while but a few months ago had a couple of glasses of XXXX Heavy. The first glass was because I was being polite but surprisingly it had some hints of hop flavour and a slight malt taste to it so I had to have another glass to confirm. Not sure if the tallies were young that made the difference but while I wouldn't go out of my way to drink it, I certainly wasn't offended by it!

On the other hand, a recent function I went to had Cascade Light, Carlton Mid and VB as the beer choices. Tried the mid (it'd been a few years since I'd last had it), it was gassy and flavourless. Cascade was no better (as expected), but after two of them I'd had enough. I wasn't even contemplating trying the VB :)

my younger brother drinks TED and was telling me on the weekend how its the only beer that doesnt make him crook and he drinks 4 square 6 packs a day, normally
2 stubbies before breakfast...mind you I think the 'other' beers he referred to were Carlton Cold and VB, he's such a ******* beer snob....

I drink mid's at the soccer game in Brisbane, which is right next door to the xxxx brewery (work that one out) and I don't mind it. My brother in law swears by xxxx, I will drink it but it has to be really cold. I feel the same as another poster, if there is nothing else going around then I will drink the megaswill. ;-) B)

When in Melbourne, I don't mind a jug or three of Carlton Draught at a pub near the brewery. Quite nice when it actually has aroma!

Blech, I work at a bar across the road from CUB (you work it out) and Draught still tastes awful. I do love the warm Weetbix aroma wafting across work some afternoons though...

Latest posts

Back