Xmas in July Lotto

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grott's 4year old BIAB milk stout.
Man, this was smooooth, I'm talking Michael Bublé smooth.
Very low bitterness, no real sweetness to speak of, nice carbonation, little bit of fizz in the mouth.
I could kick back with a few pints of this with the right company.
Did I mention smooth?
Oh man.... Liquid velvet, ney! liquid purple velour.
Thanks Grott, yours is about to be posted mate.
Brock

2Crankys Crazy 8 imperial IPA.

As I cracked this one open, visions of Maroochydore, Caloundra and do I detect a touch of Melany "up in them thar hills"?

Nice IPA Nick, my first impression on aroma was musk sticks!
SWMBO said the same, also she said passionfruit, not being a beer drinker at all, she said mmm smells nice, I said go on -have a sip...
She had a sip and went" that's actually nice for a be...*bitterness hits* face screws up and she does her best Peter Garrett dance impersonation, then I had to make a cup of tea for her hahaha!
Anyway, I thought the bitterness balanced well with the malt.
Had a dry finish & I reckon a great example of an IIPA.
Thanks 2cranky
Brock

mate I'm just glad you enjoyed it and finally have a new hair on the chest.
it is big its top end of the spectrum at 12.5%
one thing i got taught when i did the judge course is there is no wrong answers so long as you can justify what you say.

Just seeing if a pic from Google photos works.
20170802_192724.jpg

Brock

2Crankys Crazy 8 imperial IPA.

As I cracked this one open, visions of Maroochydore, Caloundra and do I detect a touch of Melany "up in them thar hills"?

Nice IPA Nick, my first impression on aroma was musk sticks!
SWMBO said the same, also she said passionfruit, not being a beer drinker at all, she said mmm smells nice, I said go on -have a sip...
She had a sip and went" that's actually nice for a be...*bitterness hits* face screws up and she does her best Peter Garrett dance impersonation, then I had to make a cup of tea for her hahaha!
Anyway, I thought the bitterness balanced well with the malt.
Had a dry finish & I reckon a great example of an IIPA.
Thanks 2cranky
Brock
20170803_215846.jpg

N87 Belgian Trippel.

I got this package from a N87 and I thought Ay Carumba, this dude has put a lot of work on his label!

When I had a chance to pour the chilled Trippel, the full white fluffy head greeted me, and was fairly persistent throughout.
The golden liquid was pretty clear, and had a slight cloudiness, which is probably true to the style
The Trippel, had a nice balance, by that I mean it didn't seem to knock my socks off with alc. Content, but allowed the flavours to shine through.
Now I'm not sure the word to describe"that" wheat beer taste, but this has it, not sure if it is the yeast, the wheat malt, maybe someone can help me with the description.

As bright as a sunny day in Mildura and just as much kick as a Malle Bull, this offering from N87 was delicious.

Thanks N87
20170803_203217.jpg

Edit: detail correction

Last edited:
Grott's 4year old BIAB milk stout.
Man, this was smooooth, I'm talking Michael Bublé smooth.
Very low bitterness, no real sweetness to speak of, nice carbonation, little bit of fizz in the mouth.
I could kick back with a few pints of this with the right company.
Did I mention smooth?
Oh man.... Liquid velvet, ney! liquid purple velour.
Thanks Grott, yours is about to be posted mate.
Brock

Thanks Brock, appreciated your nice comments. I poured 5 bottles of this into a 4litre mini keg set up in the fridge. Great to just pour one before lunch and/or tea and when ever.

N87 Belgian Trippel.

I got this package from a N87 and I thought Ay Carumba, this dude has put a lot of work on his label!

When I had a chance to pour the chilled Trippel, the full white fluffy head greeted me, and was fairly persistent throughout.
The golden liquid was pretty clear, and had a slight cloudiness, which is probably true to the style
The Trippel, had a nice balance, by that I mean it didn't seem to knock my socks off with alc. Content, but allowed the flavours to shine through.
Now I'm not sure the word to describe"that" wheat beer taste, but this has it, not sure if it is the yeast, the wheat malt, maybe someone can help me with the description.

As bright as a sunny day in Mildura and just as much kick as a Malle Bull, this offering from N87 was delicious.

Thanks N87
View attachment 107500
Edit: detail correction

The fruit and spice comes from the yeast, different esters and phenolics to a wheat beer, but I guess they could seem similar if you arent familiar with the style.
This one comes in at ~9.2%
Regarding that beer label... well those bottles are quite good, but the labels are one hell of a PITA to get off. I would love to have nice labels for my beer tho :)

Thanks for the writeup!

[2Crankys Crazy 8 imperial IPA.

haha,
I like the children's books alongside. Is that some sort of inebriation test?
:D:)

@Andy_27 Golden Ale

DrSmurto's Golden Ale with Rye.

Having only my own DSGA as comparison, I thought I'd warm up with mine, then sit down with Andy's over a nice beef stew for dinner last night.

Andy's was a nicely carbonated, nice head, and the small bubbles kept on coming.
A light golden ale, with a wonderful soft hop flavour, mild bitterness, low hop aroma, which all made me think mine was probably a little closer to an IPA than a golden/pale.

If this is a typical DSGA, you've given me a great example Andy, I really enjoyed this mate.

Cheers,
Brock

@Andy_27 Golden Ale

DrSmurto's Golden Ale with Rye.

Having only my own DSGA as comparison, I thought I'd warm up with mine, then sit down with Andy's over a nice beef stew for dinner last night.

Andy's was a nicely carbonated, nice head, and the small bubbles kept on coming.
A light golden ale, with a wonderful soft hop flavour, mild bitterness, low hop aroma, which all made me think mine was probably a little closer to an IPA than a golden/pale.

If this is a typical DSGA, you've given me a great example Andy, I really enjoyed this mate.

Cheers,
Brock
Thanks for the glowing report mate! It was my first crack at this rye version so I wasnt too sure what to expect! Glad you enjoyed it!

image.jpg
image.jpg
T
Received your QLD bitter today and now in the fridge, will report when consumed. Thanks as appreciated.
Loved the Xmas paper wrapping and Xmas card with brew details, excellent touch. Lol.
Grott I just finished sipping your Dark Ale Roast 9/8/2012
Excellent beer Mate it was smooth sweet and creamy with a roasted malty chocolate flavour.
Carbonation was mild but I think that suits and I reckon if you had a few of these next to the fire that you would definitely wake up on the lounge in the morning busting for a piss.
Yea loved it thanks and if I were you I would do the above.

@abyss @mattfos01 @BrockHops I just cracked open a bottle from the same batch I sent you and it wasn't carbed properly. I think thanks to some late-night (read: pissed) labeling efforts a month or so ago, I've inadvertently sent you uncarbed bottles. Chuck 'em in a cupboard for a month before chilling and drinkin'

Back