Xmas in July Lotto

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@abyss @mattfos01 @BrockHops I just cracked open a bottle from the same batch I sent you and it wasn't carbed properly. I think thanks to some late-night (read: pissed) labeling efforts a month or so ago, I've inadvertently sent you uncarbed bottles. Chuck 'em in a cupboard for a month before chilling and drinkin'
That was lucky as I was ready to neck it this arvo. Just chucked into the fermenting fridge cheers.

..now I'm not so sure. I just popped another bottle and it's overcarbed, which is odd, since I dosed per bottle with carb drops.

Treat these bottles with caution gents, and if any aren't up to scratch, I implore you to tell me so I can send a different beer!

..now I'm not so sure. I just popped another bottle and it's overcarbed, which is odd, since I dosed per bottle with carb drops.

Treat these bottles with caution gents, and if any aren't up to scratch, I implore you to tell me so I can send a different beer!
Which one did you send me Mick?
I might've got pissd and scoffed it already haha[emoji12]

Which one did you send me Mick?
I might've got pissd and scoffed it already haha[emoji12]
Green cap mate - labelled "Hellion IPA".. if you did already neck it, well, I hope you enjoyed it :D

n87 trying your tripel, nice warmth, crisp, not cloying or anything like that. Very much enjoying it. Great flavour.

View attachment 107281 View attachment 107282 2cranky
I'm getting towards the bitter end of your Imperial IPA Crazy 8 and have never tasted anything quite like it.
Sending this to me was like feeding strawberrys to a pig.
Nice light head & colour,good carbing.
Heaps of aroma, fruit/passion/strawberry ? Earthiness and pleasant bittering.
Nice mild caramel malt flavour.
I see in your photo 9.8%, I bet you could make a mess of your mates with this beast.
I'd love to know which 8 hops you used but don't expect you to share which Kit.
Thanks for the experience.
Hey Abyss,
Brewing another batch of this tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
You haven't tried to brew it yet?

Hey Abyss,
Brewing another batch of this tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
You haven't tried to brew it yet?
I haven't tried but am planning on it. A keg full would be handy.

415d77d7cf3965441aeaa9d6e2136dc7.jpg

@abyss, Morgan's QLD Lager.
Finally got to it mate ! The Belgium ale is still chilling.
Nice drop, great carbonation fluffy head, easy drinker.
I reckon you could sit around the "wireless" listening to a game of footy or cricket and have a few of these.
Have you tried making it with a lager yeast, like a SafLager?
Either way, nice beer Abyss.
Cheers,
Brock

0b83a82e4d712628bffb09dab11b56a5.jpg

@Chap, Stone & Wood Pacific Ale
Well, being in the fruit bowl of Victoria, I couldn't resist the citrus placement in the pic, yeah I know I have some real hidden talents...
Anywho....
Chap, not much more to say but, it has been a couple of years since my last Pacific Ale, but, this coulve been the real thing.
Seriously mate, well done, there was a slight dryness in the aftertaste/mouthefeel ( I don't have all the talents..)
So, yeah... Pretty much bang on the money!
Cheers,
Brock

921a79fa39b594cc1900f424a34700dd.jpg

@mattfos01
Foreign Extra Stout.
I had this King Brown waiting patiently in the fridge of my "Donga" up at the mine site and after arriving back to work, and having to be on-call for the first 2 nights[emoji16] I finally got to knock the top off it on the 3rd night!
I also had a chance to open the Stout...
What a great full bodied beauty to get into on a cold night!
Had a good strong bitterness, balanced nicely with the malt.
I was disappointed when it was gone, as I could've gone another, but not knowing the ABV, probably not a good idea considering we have a random breatho once a swing.
Thanks , Matt.
Cheers,
Brock
Edit- spelling no makey sense

Last edited:
No Andy haha, I've been making notes and taking pics.
In between ducking and weaving at work, and home chasing my little blokes around, I don't get much time to write my reviews!

No Andy haha, I've been making notes and taking pics.
In between ducking and weaving at work, and home chasing my little blokes around, I don't get much time to write my reviews!

9e7f2af631877af2ac669e4381e752c4.jpg

Well it is!
I'm having a couple of Dr smurtos, pondering tomorrow's brewday, listening to the footy on the wireless of course haha.
Cheers!

@Chap, Stone & Wood Pacific Ale
Well, being in the fruit bowl of Victoria, I couldn't resist the citrus placement in the pic, yeah I know I have some real hidden talents...
Anywho....
Chap, not much more to say but, it has been a couple of years since my last Pacific Ale, but, this coulve been the real thing.
Seriously mate, well done, there was a slight dryness in the aftertaste/mouthefeel ( I don't have all the talents..)
So, yeah... Pretty much bang on the money!
Cheers,
Brock

Glad you liked it mate, one of my fav to drink and being an extract brew its fairly quick to make if you're time poor.

415d77d7cf3965441aeaa9d6e2136dc7.jpg

@abyss, Morgan's QLD Lager.
Finally got to it mate ! The Belgium ale is still chilling.
Nice drop, great carbonation fluffy head, easy drinker.
I reckon you could sit around the "wireless" listening to a game of footy or cricket and have a few of these.
Have you tried making it with a lager yeast, like a SafLager?
Either way, nice beer Abyss.
Cheers,
Brock
Glad you liked it Brock.
I often make it as a lager and it comes out crystal clear and refreshing.

BrockHops kindly sent me two beers to sample.
1) Dr Smurto's Golden Ale. Loud "pop" on opening and highly carbonated. (was forewarned) but settled well. Now what a bloody top drop this is. Lovely hop aroma and full of strong flavours- citrus and hoppy love, well done. Nice lacing and refreshing to the last drop.
20170821_114330.jpg 20170821_114930.jpg

2) BIAB Pale Ale, (first attempt all grain- Rudi Can't Fail).
Great carbonation. This to me is as a pale ale should be, good flavours, pleasant after taste and nice bitterness. Pleasant from start to finish and I could certainly have a few of these.
20170821_120640.jpg 20170821_120703.jpg
Thanks Brock

Back