Xmas in July Lotto

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrockHops kindly sent me two beers to sample.
1) Dr Smurto's Golden Ale. Loud "pop" on opening and highly carbonated. (was forewarned) but settled well. Now what a bloody top drop this is. Lovely hop aroma and full of strong flavours- citrus and hoppy love, well done. Nice lacing and refreshing to the last drop.
View attachment 107815 View attachment 107816

2) BIAB Pale Ale, (first attempt all grain- Rudi Can't Fail).
Great carbonation. This to me is as a pale ale should be, good flavours, pleasant after taste and nice bitterness. Pleasant from start to finish and I could certainly have a few of these.
View attachment 107817 View attachment 107818
Thanks Brock
Thanks for the kind words Grott!

Glad you liked them, I feel they are both a bit high on the bitterness, something for me to work on.

And Grott, aren't Breaky Beers the best!?
Sure are.
(Some people worry about time with respect to drinking. Is it not acceptable for a night shift worker to have beers at 7 - 8am? Well I have a drink when it suits, as long as I'm not driving or making an arse of myself, who cares. I know some people that will not under any circumstances have a drink before 5pm. Clock watching is the pits.)

Sure are.
(Some people worry about time with respect to drinking. Is it not acceptable for a night shift worker to have beers at 7 - 8am? Well I have a drink when it suits, as long as I'm not driving or making an arse of myself, who cares. I know some people that will not under any circumstances have a drink before 5pm. Clock watching is the pits.)

While I will attempt to not start drinking until after midday.... I wont sit there watching the clock for the last 15 mins to count down if I feel it is appropriate.
I have also sat in a bar at San Fran airport at 6am local time sucking down a local IPA

While I will attempt to not start drinking until after midday.... I wont sit there watching the clock for the last 15 mins to count down if I feel it is appropriate.
I have also sat in a bar at San Fran airport at 6am local time sucking down a local IPA
Half the point of flying anywhere is that it's mandatory to have a beer while you're waiting - regardless of the time!

image.jpg
..now I'm not so sure. I just popped another bottle and it's overcarbed, which is odd, since I dosed per bottle with carb drops.

Treat these bottles with caution gents, and if any aren't up to scratch, I implore you to tell me so I can send a different beer!

Drinking your Smelly ******* IPA
Instant fresh orange / fruit aroma on knocking the top off, very pleasant.
Good head and flavour but maybe over carbed which to me made it taste a little dry.
It's done now and I enjoyed it thanks mate.
The bottle was posted, stored at 2 deg then 18 for a while then back to 2 so it did cop a flogging.

Drinking your Smelly ******* IPA
Instant fresh orange / fruit aroma on knocking the top off, very pleasant.
Good head and flavour but maybe over carbed which to me made it taste a little dry.
It's done now and I enjoyed it thanks mate.
The bottle was posted, stored at 2 deg then 18 for a while then back to 2 so it did cop a flogging.
A better rating than I anticipated, thanks mate. Glad you enjoyed it

A better rating than I anticipated, thanks mate. Glad you enjoyed it
Forgot to mention the hops on the tounge afterwards were very nice and I'll leave the bottle around for a few days for another sniff.

The first ever home brew cider I have ever tasted. Sets a high bar, dry, but not overly so. A nice apple flavour. Thanks schooner_downunder very tasty.

Attachments

• IMG_1164.JPG
    IMG_1164.JPG
    555.8 KB · Views: 65
Tony121 ripper little APA, nice balanced bitterness. Hope a bit on the earthy side, very enjoyable Sunday afternoon beer.

Attachments

• IMG_1970.JPG
    IMG_1970.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 57
Robv- New England IPA
At work- Metallica-out the back, watching Randy goats chase each other around...
Cloudy as warned , but Robv, it ain't Orange Juice mate, may not have biofine, gelatin clear as glass etc, but... Dude, an IPA it is.
Wasn't overly Hoppy in aroma, but as refreshing as any "after work" ale I've ever had.
You told me in our PM, "minimal" bittering hops- there's certainly a good amount of bite there, maybe the lower end of IPA scale.
As it came up to ambient temperature, the malts decided to rock up and say G'day!
So apparently it's got a bit of ABV , I've turned into bloody Matt Preston!
Anyway, great drop, thanks Rob!

Will upload pic later, poor mobile service..

Robv- New England IPA
At work- Metallica-out the back, watching Randy goats chase each other around...
Cloudy as warned , but Robv, it ain't Orange Juice mate, may not have biofine, gelatin clear as glass etc, but... Dude, an IPA it is.
Wasn't overly Hoppy in aroma, but as refreshing as any "after work" ale I've ever had.
You told me in our PM, "minimal" bittering hops- there's certainly a good amount of bite there, maybe the lower end of IPA scale.
As it came up to ambient temperature, the malts decided to rock up and say G'day!
So apparently it's got a bit of ABV , I've turned into bloody Matt Preston!
Anyway, great drop, thanks Rob!

Will upload pic later, poor mobile service..
c60af8db6284fbab3414ddd56741d3a5.jpg

IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
I'm having laxation's Red Falcon pale ale for lunch.
Excellent carbonation with mild fruit aroma. I like the raw earthy bitterness, very drinkable, sort of bitter sweet with plenty of malt and the head laced the glass nicely.
Thanks for sharing a top brew.

Here goes luggy's Irish Red Ale
Sweet malty aroma with perfect soft carbonation.
Flavour is sweet roasted malt with a hint of fruit and super smooth.
Hop wise hard to guess maybe fuggles ?
Tasty and easy to swallow I like it thanks mate.
The longneck inside the pvc pipe stuffed with newspaper travelled perfectly,
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0017.JPG

Back