Wyeast Starter Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smollocks

Reaction score
I made my first Wyeast starter earlier this week. Once it has fermented out completely I plan to split it between a few stubbies, then use one of the stubbies to culture a new starter using 1L of surplus wort from a recently no chilled brew. I will pitch this when it's at high krausen.

A few questions:
  1. My surplus wort is probably around 1.050. Should I dilute this to 1.030-1.040 for the starter?
  2. I don't have a stirplate, so I've been shaking the starter repeatedly. Should I do this throughout the life of the starter, or just at the beginning before it starts to ferment? I know oxidation of a fermenting brew is bad, but does this apply to starters too?
  3. Only one half of the nutrient packet was burst when I smacked it. Can I cut this open and use it for my next starter?
  4. My surplus wort has been nochilled (with hot break) in a glass bottle since brew day a week ago. Will it need to be boiled before using it for a starter?
The rate at which this Wyeast 1968 flocs out into a hard cake has me a bit concerned for the full brew, but I'll see how it goes. Cheers guys.

this should answer 1 and 2. link
3...I wouldn't
4...I would. Cool it in a water bath, should only take 5-10 minutes.

Thanks butters. I had read that mrmalty link before, looks like I forgot a few things.

The rate at which this Wyeast 1968 flocs out into a hard cake has me a bit concerned for the full brew, but I'll see how it goes. Cheers guys.

I've only used this yeast twice now and I though the same thing when I had it in the starter flask, but I haven't had a problem with it stalling (although I have read of a few problems with it doing this). Just keep an eye on it and if it looks like sticking the give the fermenter a bit of a rouse, and worst case you may need to rack it and bring the temp up a couple of degrees.

Latest posts

Back