Wyeast 3787

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SergeMarx

Reaction score
Well, I had this smack pack sitting the fridge for a couple of months - and it had been in G=Gs fridge for a few months before that... nearly 10 months old and I was pretty confident it was toast.

Regardless, last week I made a 2 litre starter and dumped in the contents... took a about five days to get going, but definitely got some new yeasties grown. After I'd made my brew, I poured the new yeast into a new starter and let that go overnight. Went completely nuts. the brew itself started out with a 1.062 wort ( a kg of belgian candi yet to go in. I pitched on Saturday morning, had a full healthy krausen within about four hours, and on checking this morning (monday) it had fermented down to 1.009!

Crazy yeast, and goes to show that with a bit of care, even ancient smack packs can be coaxed back to full health. I've only recently begun doing starters (simple, no stir plate) and cannot believe how much better my ferments are.

So, a nothing post really, but for those yet to start with starters - just go for it, piss easy and unbeatable results.

Latest posts

Back