Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:beerbang: Thank god I won't have to offer to do immoral acts to get some of these yeasts. Cos I would have.

Good news, Peter. I've heard good things about that 1026 yeast. Has anybody used this 1768 yeast? All I can find is that it's similar to 1968 but less flocculent. According to the first item on google, it's

1768 English Special Bitter*.

Similar to 1968, slightly less flocculent. Produces light fruit ethanol aroma. Mild malt with a neutral soft finish. Very clean. Flocculation - high; apparent attenuation 68-72%. (64-72 F, 18-22 C) *Available October-December

Sounds nice as well. I'm already pretty committed to two of these. Can I really buy three English ale yeasts at one time! :rolleyes:

*Tries hard to resist images of butters immoral acts for yeast.* :eek:

Nice work Peter. I'm hoping to also try the 1026 Cask Ale.

At the moment I'm using Nottingham but when I finally get my house ale recipe stabilized for the warmer months without going off on a whim all the time and making Scottish 80 /- or whatever :p I'll be trying this yeast. What I'm aiming for is a typical Northern English real ale style like Newcastle Exhibition (was nice on cask) or Jennings and I reckon this yeast will be great.

I take it Ross won't need prompting to get it in ?

Based on all the positive feedback, I'm gonna try this yeast as soon as I can get some.

Maris will be the backbone of any beer brewed by this yeast.

Based on all the positive feedback, I'm gonna try this yeast as soon as I can get some.

Maris will be the backbone of any beer brewed by this yeast.

If we could only get Fawcetts Floor Malted MO and with the TTL yeast it would be a match made in heaven :wub:

C&B
TDA

Shut up, Mark. You're making me thirsty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

note to self: re-read when sober.

Drinking a TTL style ale with this yeast at the moment. Fermented pretty high ( 22-24c ). Im very happy with the beer, though it is fairly estery. Not a bad thing, but i think it'll be much better next time with a cooler ferment. I love top cropping!

In a case of you snooze you lose I neglected to buy 1469 last time it was around. I emailed Wyeast. Pleasantly surprised, they emaied back within hours.

It's coming back in the "last quarter" of the year.

Drinking a TTL style ale with this yeast at the moment. Fermented pretty high ( 22-24c ). Im very happy with the beer, though it is fairly estery. Not a bad thing, but i think it'll be much better next time with a cooler ferment. I love top cropping!

It seems to be very true to type for a stone square yeast. If you read the Blacksheep article on traditional stone square fermenting you'll note that the traditional practice was (is) to pitch at 15, allow to rise to around 17 then attenuate at just below 16
OK a lot of brewers would probably disagree and say that the Wyeast is not necessarily an "exact" strain, but it works for me and in your case as you have found it has produced possibly unwelcome esters. The old books on the net very often state that Yorkshire beers were fermented a few degrees colder than London beers which sound like a good confirmation. On the other hand the Wyeast Irish Ale yeast will bang along happily at 24 and produce a fantastically clean beer. I dug up some articles on Google Books etc, stating that this is how traditional Guinness is produced, so the Wyeast Irish is more than likely a close cousin. Being an information sponge as I am, I find that researching around a subject can often unearth some interesting stuff that I like to experiment with, despite what it says on the packet. :)

In a case of you snooze you lose I neglected to buy 1469 last time it was around. I emailed Wyeast. Pleasantly surprised, they emaied back within hours.

It's coming back in the "last quarter" of the year.

Woot.
I note from Jim's Beer Kit that the Poms are finally catching on to liquid yeasts. Also last year quite a few of us spammed Wyeast heavily and the lass said "ok we get the message" :lol: - hopefully if this is translating to higher sales of 1469 it will take its place in the permanent range.

Latest posts

Back