Wtf Is This Flavour/smell?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep definitely one variable at a time. It will bug you no end otherwise, even if you solve to problem you will never really know why!!!

pitch at 16 and raise slowly to 18 over first few days next brew.

you might have to change one variable per brew to find the problem maybe?

Spiesy,

The best way of getting to the bottom of this, is to take a bottle along to a good home brew store (like Grain & Grape), or even better, to one of the homebrew clubs in Melbourne, where experienced judges can give you an educated opinion.

This thread may produce the answer, but finding it amongst the replies will be a lottery...

Cheers Ross

Sorry if I've missed it, but how long are you dry hopping for, mate? Are you doing it while CCing or at ferment temps?
My personal experience with dry hopping for too long at fermentation temps (plus 4 days) has led to some awkward over-ripe fruit flavours and aromas.

As Ross said, your best bet is get a bottle to someone else to sample.

Sorry if I've missed it, but how long are you dry hopping for, mate? Are you doing it while CCing or at ferment temps?
My personal experience with dry hopping for too long at fermentation temps (plus 4 days) has led to some awkward over-ripe fruit flavours and aromas.

As Ross said, your best bet is get a bottle to someone else to sample.
hey jyo... only dry hopping for a few days mate. 2-3 days, in the secondary.

Generally: sterilise hop bag in boiling water - drain, add pellets, and throw them into the fermenter for a couple of days. The crash chill for a day - decant to keg.

It's certainly drinkable, but it has no place being in my APA
Good luck getting to the bottom of it but why do you think stone fruit has no place in an APA?

Want to try my beer, bum? It ain't exactly Galaxy vibes.
Sure but I feel like you'd be wasting a beer as I can't sort out my own issues let alone anyone else's. I'd be interested to see what it is you're talking about though because at the moment your descriptors are leading me to think you're getting a character that some brewers actually chase rather than try to eliminate.

As I say, good luck with it. I hope you sort it out and are happier with the next one.

Sure but I feel like you'd be wasting a beer as I can't sort out my own issues let alone anyone else's. I'd be interested to see what it is you're talking about though because at the moment your descriptors are leading me to think you're getting a character that some brewers actually chase rather than try to eliminate.

As I say, good luck with it. I hope you sort it out and are happier with the next one.
cheers mate... re: character that some brewers are trying to chase: I've had this beer at the brewer who developed the recipe's house - and it's awesome. I've made it before at mine, and it's awesome... just not sure what has gone wrong with it, and the fact that it popped up in my SNPA clone as well is odd.

Unless my pallet has changed 100,000 fold, I reckon there's something not quite right here... I'll report back if and when I get to the bottom of it.

Appreciate the help.

update: after a couple of days since I cracked the keg, the strange apricot vibe seems to have dissipated, and now more bitterness is coming through.

Latest posts

Back