• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

WTB Over the side electric element

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

On the back bloody porch!
Reaction score
Would like to buy an over the side electric element if anyone has one going? Would be interested in interstate also if the price is right.
Cheers
Steve

Steve,

check ebay mate, search immersion heater.

They are $85 + postage.

Have one of the 2400W ones and it has done about 20 brews and still going strong.

Cheers,
Adam

Yeah....thanks guys. I saw those and they are exactly what im after. But kinda more in the market for a second hand one at the moment though. Spewing I sold all my stuff last year (including one of these) :eek:(

Sorry to hijack the thread, but can someone tell me if these things can be run off the same double GPO that my 40L Birko urn is running off at the same time? To clarify, I have a two-outlet power point in my brew room, and would have the urn running off one and this Over The Side element running off the other at the same time to speed-up the ramp up to boil.

How about if I had the urn on one outlet, and the OTS element PLUS a fridge off the other (using a double adaptor)?

I run my electric HLT and a smaller urn for boiling water off the same circuit without any dramas. I can run the washing machine at the same time, but the fuse box trips when I turn on the drier.

They are cheaper, but they're also a shorter element length, so a higher wattage density, so a higher risk of burning your wort
Also, I wouldn't submerge anything that isn't metal on it

So you drop cable in and all? Wonder if they were made for that lol

OOps temporary Australian methinks. :ph34r:

With a 2.2 kw immersion heater, some circuits can handle it fine, others trip out. I brew in the garage and run an extension cord from a plug in the kitchen and it works perfectly, being on the two different circuits.

beer belly said:
These are fine . I have been using them for over four years . You can drop them in as far as you want they are quite safe fully immersed . The only problem with these is that they don't have an earth.
love in the ebay description....

Do Not Put Your Hands Into During It Works

sounds like a lethal dodgy device...

Maheel said:
love in the ebay description....

Do Not Put Your Hands Into During It Works

sounds like a lethal dodgy device...
Too funny. Didn't notice that. Yeah I'll give these ones a miss thanks guys.

Thinking about the girl that died using a dodgy usb charger i wonder how much higher the odds would be using one of these?

Eagleburger said:
I have two of those and they both tickle if you touch the pot etc. use with extreme caution.

jonnir said:
So you drop cable in and all? Wonder if they were made for that lol
I use it in my hex . I did boil wort with it and it worked well and you do get a tickle with it even in the hex .

brando said:
Sorry to hijack the thread, but can someone tell me if these things can be run off the same double GPO that my 40L Birko urn is running off at the same time? To clarify, I have a two-outlet power point in my brew room, and would have the urn running off one and this Over The Side element running off the other at the same time to speed-up the ramp up to boil.

How about if I had the urn on one outlet, and the OTS element PLUS a fridge off the other (using a double adaptor)?
Unlikely, you'll probably trip the breaker. You'll need to run them off two different circuits.

Those cheap elements are fucked, plain and simple - stay away from them. If the pot tickles you perhaps it's time to ditch the element...

The cost of a good element over it's service life is negligible.

Latest posts

Back