Wrong Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok i got myself a cube and will try giving the beer time to mature and see what happens but my questions is its currently carbinated and sitting in the keg do i just rack it straight back into the cube as is or should i be trying to degass it ? And is there anything else i should or should not do?
Cheers

Yes, you should not put beer in a cube.

If you do decide to stick it in a cube, I would think degassing it would be the way to go. Stick some hop flowers in the cube to help preserve it.
The metallic taste does go away. I think it comes from the highly roasted grains. I used to experience a similar taste when taking a swig of the old man's stout when I was just a lad. Not as strong though. The process they use for producing malt extract may contribute to the flavour in some way.
Well, that's my theory anyway. :ph34r:

I understand that frozen wet hops would be best suited to this purpose, easier to throw them all out at once...

I understand that frozen wet hops would be best suited to this purpose, easier to throw them all out at once...

Well its good to see I'm finally teaching you something yob! :lol:

Ok i got myself a cube and will try giving the beer time to mature and see what happens but my questions is its currently carbinated and sitting in the keg do i just rack it straight back into the cube as is or should i be trying to degass it ? And is there anything else i should or should not do?
Cheers

Why are you taking it from the keg and putting into the cube?

I think you have misunderstood something.

Contact with yeast will remove/help reduce some flavours like diacetyl (butter/buttered popcorn) or acetaldehyde (granny smith/bruised apple/confectionery toffee apple.

Unless you filtered 9 times, you will probably have some yeast left in suspension in the keg. Just let the keg warm up to ale fermenting temps. Worst comes to worst, you could add active yeast to help absorb the flavours (IF that's what's causing the 'wrong' flavour but I would neither add anything NOR would I rack to a cube, until you've given it much more time at warmer temps to see if it changes.

Racking into a cube makes no sense.

Listening to Hoppy also makes no sense so don't.

Ok I took a sample to the lhbs today and he says it's off the scale with bitterness.He can't tell me how it happened but has given me some lactose to add to the keg and try again in a week.He says this will sweeten the brew.He says the brew smells and looks fine and cannot see anything wrong with it.

So will try and see how it goes
Cheers

Who/where is your LHBS?

If it was just the kit and malt you mentioned in your ealrier post, I can't imagine for the life of me that it's off the charts or that adding lactose is the best solution.

To be off the charts, I'd expect you to have boiled that malt with a lot of hops.

Maybe post up your recipe and the process step by step? A Morgans kit and a bit of dark malt shouldn't be off the charts in bitterness...

Maybe post up your recipe and the process step by step? A Morgans kit and a bit of dark malt shouldn't be off the charts in bitterness...

Kaiser i didnt make any notes so will be challenging to give you a lot of info but basically hot water into the pot and bring to the boil, add the dme and bring to slow rolling boil and shut down the heat.Wait about 10 mins and add the morgans kit. Tip it into the fermenter and top up with cold water and pitch the yeast.
I have added 200 g of lactose tonight, can anyone guess what happens whenyou add lactose to a keg of beer?
Yes thats right foamy beer all over the floor :icon_vomit: i think this would have been a good bit of information for lhbs to give me before the event.
:unsure:
Will let you know how it goes, if it doesnt work im tipping it out and moving on.
Cheers

S/he didn't suggest dissolving it in boiling water first?

Where's the shop?

Instructions were pour in about a quarter of the bag and give it a good shake to make sure that it dissolves and test in a week.

Why are you taking it from the keg and putting into the cube?

I think you have misunderstood something.

Contact with yeast will remove/help reduce some flavours like diacetyl (butter/buttered popcorn) or acetaldehyde (granny smith/bruised apple/confectionery toffee apple.

Unless you filtered 9 times, you will probably have some yeast left in suspension in the keg. Just let the keg warm up to ale fermenting temps. Worst comes to worst, you could add active yeast to help absorb the flavours (IF that's what's causing the 'wrong' flavour but I would neither add anything NOR would I rack to a cube, until you've given it much more time at warmer temps to see if it changes.

Racking into a cube makes no sense.

Listening to Hoppy also makes no sense so don't.

You should definitely listen to everything Manticle says, he is the resident genius. Knows everything there is to know about anything in the universe. Wears a T-shirt with the words 'John Palmer' emblazoned across the front.

You should definitely listen to everything Manticle says, he is the resident genius. Knows everything there is to know about anything in the universe. Wears a T-shirt with the words 'John Palmer' emblazoned across the front.

Yes, you should listen to him.

He is a highly respected contributor here, and one i listen to often. Always willing to help with a common sense and restraint that is often neglected here.

Re: john palmer t shirt......you're a knob.

EDIT: have had some rare disagreeances with mants, but his wisdom and way with words ALWAYS puts me back in my box and makes me realise i have a long way to go.

Hi all, I am obviously doing something wrong as my next brew has the same sort of taste.This time i can give a little more detailJames squire amber aleMuntons premium blonde1.5 kg amber malt extract250g corn syrup Finishing hops golden cluster 5 g in tea baa, steeped then bag and all put into fermenter?Town water5 litres hot water into pot on stove and added dme and lme and stir, added corn syrup and heated and stir
Safale yeast rehydrated and added at 25 degrees
Og 1052Fg 1016Ferment temp 22-24 on heat pad15 days primaryPut into keg and put into a fridge ungassed for 2 days and then carbonated?
Keg and all equipment cleaned with sodium perc and rinsed with water.
Clear dark beer, smelled amazing during fermentation, foamy krausen stayed high till about 5 days before fg checked and kegged?
Again funny citrussy taste not drinkable
Anyone got any ideas or in bendigo that can help?
Brendan

Latest posts

Back