Wrong Hops!?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xander

Reaction score
So I just started my brew, and I have realised the brew shop got my order wrong. My fault for not checking, so I can't blame them.

My brew is already well under way (as I type).

Question is - Can I boil some water for say 15 minutes and throw the hops in that, then add to the fermenter when it cools, or does this just not work??

I'm brewing an imperial stout by the way. I needed 50 Willamette, 25 EKG and 25 Chinook.

Instead, I got 25 Willamette, 25 Chinook and 50 Columbus...

Luckily, I had 15 grams of Fuggles from a previous brew

Thanks for your help!

It'll probably be a bit more bitter due to the columbus instead of EKG & Willamette, but sure it'll turn out fine.

Throw them in the boil slightly later to reduce bitterness if you're concerned, but I'd go as is, take notes and learn for next time.

Columbus at 60m for bittering
Chinook at 15m for flavour
Williamette at flameout for Aroma

Its an imperial and as long as you achieve your target IBU the hops wont matter with this style.

^^ This.

Though maybe shift the chinook back to 30mins.

But you def have to check your IBUs. Get ianh's spreadsheet and enter in your recipe to get the IBUs the same as your intends recipe.

let it ride I say.. A firm bitterness in a RIS is welcome..

I'll be kicking my next one up a bit in IBU to about 80

^ ^ OT - hey Yob how did those cube hopped beers turn out that you added from memory about 250g into the cube for a imperial IPA??

Mainly the actual IBU percieved from the cube as the common theme is 20mins but I have found it to be more like 12-15mins. This was based on the recent IPAs that i made with no boil additions and the beersmith calc with 100g = 93ibu.....actual bitterness from my palate about 45-50ibu.

Xander said:
My fault for not checking, so I can't blame them.
Yes you can.... it's their responsibility to get it right in the first place.

Latest posts

Back