Wort Chillier Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rurik

Reaction score
Hi I used my Mash Master wort chiller for the first time last night :D . How cool are they. What is the best way to clean/dry them?

Rurik

Hey, I too have a mashmaster MKII and I have found from my experience (purely antecodotal) that if you save the last bit of hot water coming out (5L or so) in a spare fermenter. Then once finished swap your cool water line it to the out. Then run cold through to flush the wort. Then run the warm through from the fermenter. Then empty and let sit in a non enclosed environment.

Then when you go to brew next either throw it in the oven for a while or in a large pot of boiling water. Which is what i do now becasue my HLT is heated with a gas burner. So i just chuck it in while I'm heating water to dough in with. Hope this helps mate. You won't regret your purchase that I can promise you. Below is proof of my 3 brew day.

DRIVEWAY.jpg

I run hot water backwards through the chiller - then I boil about 5L in my hlt and recirc it either way through the chiller for a while then, leaving the hoses connected to the chiller, prop them up somewhere to keep it full of liquid (apparently if you let it drain little spots of pockets of liquid left can facilitate spot rusting etc)

I first flush with mains pressure cold water, then backflush. After this I run some boiling sodium percarbonate/napisan through it (its more effective at high temperatures), I leave some in for it to soak awhile (or overnight). My brew kettle normally gets the same treatment except the water is only about 60*C no way I am boiling a full 50L. Flush the chiller with tap water, and I am done. I have in the past followed this up with an idophor solution but have since become a tad lazy and skip this process now. On brew day I sanitise by allowing a a few litres to run though with boiling wort before I fill the cold side of the chiller.

Back