Wort Chillers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought my CFWC from Morebeer , arrived in 13 days

very pleased

I wouldn't bother with the Amorpha coil, it is just a very short version of a CV CFWC. Vaportec make these CFWC from their version of covoluted copper in New Zealand then ship them to the US for sale. B3, Norhern Brewer etc make a very similar product that has a longer lenghth which should result in better cooling, and at a better price. B3 CFWC is US$109, as opposed to the Amorpha coil at US$110 and you don't have to pay an extra $US15 to have hose connections for the water in/out.

Cheers
MAH

MAH said:
Vaportec make these CFWC from their version of covoluted copper in New Zealand then ship them to the US for sale.
I've just emailed them asking for details on cost and supply of these to us in Oz. Will report back if they get back to me.

Beers,
Doc

Thanks Mah and Doc. If it performs as reported it could be worth a look. Was initially impressed by the water savings. Shipping directly to Oz from NZ would have to be cheaper than the round trip from NZ to US to Oz.

Batz, how fast does your new CFWC chill?

Batz has the same Convoluted CCFWC as me.
I got mine from St pats.

Using gravity - i have the outside tap just on - takes 20-30mins to run it thru from the kettle.
Note:
As my tap water is around 10 degrees - i need to stop it going the CCCFWC when there is still a good few liters left. The wort is so cold taht i need to dispense directly from the kettle to the fermenter to bring the temp up to enable a good yeast pitching temp.

I thaink Batz saw mine in action before he got his.
These are the Bees Nees in cooling...

hope this helps.

Using gravity - i have the outside tap just on - takes 20-30mins to run it thru from the kettle.

Thats sounds ideal, we live in a unit.

I have a CV CFWC. I've never timed how fast it takes to chill, but it's quick. I cast-out 20ltrs into my fermenter last night and used 50ltrs of cooling water (which I saved and will use around the house including brewing). This was gravity fed, with the valve fully open.

I reckon I can reduce the amount time it takes and water used, because at the moment I use a Bazooka screen on the end of my pick-up tube and I find near the end of cast-out, the flow slows up significantly as the screen gets clogged up with break material and hop debris (pellets are the worst).

Any suggestions on improving this aspect would be appreciated.

Cheers
MAH

I'm more concerned with litres of cooling water needed, the drought etc... :(. 50 litres is good, thats a usable amount. If GMK has his tap only just on, it could be around the same or less.

JM
PhillChill fittings
now that might fit the money and water budgets.

MAH
Go the stainless braid . but don't be skimpy , use a good size one
No blockage at all since I increased the length

I made my own CFWC from 8m .25" copper tube in 7m garden hose and the PhillChill fittings. Uses 40L water to chill 30L wort in 20 mins.

Does me

Jovial Monk

For those of you that use a CFWC, what do you do about the cold break? Do you filter the runoff, transfer again after initial runoff or do you just leave the cold break in the fermenter? Does the cold break affect the brew at all?

Cheers

Must admit I do not worry about the cold break. For big beers I drop the beer the next morning into second fermenter, with some aeration, so I guess that removes the cold break.

Jovial Monk

I got a reply back from Vaportec.
Basically they want to move bulk units of their chillers.

If I was to order 50 units the price would be US$58 (~ AU$84). That is for the C22-10 CU CU Coaxial heat exchanger product seen here.

Beers,
Doc

Hmm. Mild steel outer. Is that going to rust? I'm not a metallurgist. But anyway I'm assuming that with a minimum order of 50 units it's probably not an option.

Cheers, Justin

Doc said:
If I was to order 50 units the price would be US$58 (~ AU$84).
Bit steep considering Goliath sell a CFC for $80, with all the fittings alreay attached. He brought this unit out a couple of weeks after I ordered a Chillzilla from the States. If I had known I would have just bought one of Dave.

Cheers
MAH

counterflow.jpg

I just bought mine of Dave @ Goliath's last weekend.

He is now using a larger external hose, which is black, than the one in MAH's picture.

MAH said:
Doc said:
If I was to order 50 units the price would be US$58 (~ AU$84).
Bit steep considering Goliath sell a CFC for $80, with all the fittings alreay attached. He brought this unit out a couple of weeks after I ordered a Chillzilla from the States. If I had known I would have just bought one of Dave.

Cheers
MAH
[post="28532"][/post]​

Boots said:
I just bought mine of Dave @ Goliath's last weekend.

He is now using a larger external hose, which is black, than the one in MAH's picture.
[post="28542"][/post]​
Hi all,
I am going to be buying/making a chiller in the next 2-3 weeks. I am interested in this one from Goliaths as by the time I purchase the copper and try to make my own (now that would be a funny sight) I may as well purchase one.
I am wanting to know if this chiller can be gravity fed and if so at what height does the kettle have to be?

Cheers
johnno

Hey Johnno I just made one this weekend and did a brew with it. I made it with nine meters of pipe and used soldered copper peaces, It worked a treat, I just gravity feed it form about 1.5 meters cooled the wort to 24c no probs.

Johnno,

I still haven't used mine (been slowly building up the brewery over the last 6months - and it wasn't worth using it for partials) - it'll get it's first run this weekend / next week - with a march pump :beerbang:

I've read of people using them via gravity, and the only complaint is that it runs slowly. So you could gravity feed it, but you'd want to have the kettle up reasonably high.

WeeStu has a Goliath one and no pump, so I imagine he must grav feed his, and going by how some of his beers have been tasting, I'd say gravity must work a treat !! ... I hope stu does't read that and get a big head :p ... You could maybe PM him.

.. oh yeah, reading bigfella's post reminded me that I saw a 9mtr CFC on Goliath's site the other day just new.

Think they were a bit more than the 6 mtr one (obviously) around $130 is or similar. But I imagine if gravity feeding the wort would be flowing that slowly that 6 mtr might be alright.

Latest posts

Back