Wort Chiller With Temp Gauge Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
brewers, today i got the chance to brew with my improved brew rig and nice stainless QD fittings - oh it was so much better than days of old worm drive clamps.

Anyway i made a CFC many years ago, and its worked well for a long time however today i am sick of its little leaks and issues, its also a bit slow to chill 50Lt of wort.

What i want to get is a plate chiller and have a temp readout on the wort outlet (like i have seen others do)

questions:
- do i need a hop screen in the kettle so it wont get into the chiller?
- the mashmaster or similar 3inch dial temp probs - are they very slow to change temp? and i saw some people complain about their lack of quality ( google search - not sure where these home brewers where - usa maybe) has anyone used these for this use and had issues?

I would like to use a stainless temp probe such as probe RTD and connect it to a digital display, as i already have 1 pid controller and want to add a similar for my HLT so it wouldnt look out of place on the control box. ( maybe a bit of an over kill tho)
- does anyone know of a display that might suit such a probe? if i can not do this i am back to the temp dials and a T peice.

I have so much brew stand envy of the fab units out there.

thanks for the help

As far as i am aware if you use a hop sock then you should be ok with hop particles in the chiller, they can always be flushed out, as far as the thermometer goes I'm unsure about the digital option however if you're just after a quick read then add a copper pipe piece onto the "wort out" part and stick a fermentor thermometer on it.

Good luck

Aaron

Just started a new thread about the bilchman sorry didnt see this thread

I want a plate chiller too

Number of plates how many does a bilchman therminator have?

Was reading a forum & it suggested Dudadiesel jeez they have some good plate chillers but hard to gauge value for mor money as therminator give no specs

Hop sock sounds the go for stopping troob ? I dont know please expirenced brewers please reply

Temp guage oh absolutely luxuary

The one for about 100 dollars sounded good to me on the dudadiesel site

must be able to get an inline temp probe

RE: plate chiller
I am looking at the unit beer belly sell as the fittings will suit the QD i will buy (again from beer belly - i am not on their payroll but i was happy with my first buy so will keep it all standard) maybe the 30 plate unit.

Craftbrewer sell a thermo dial 60cm probe so that would work with a T peice.

Its looking like digital will cost a bit more.

I think this will make my brew day much faster and less mess will mean i like to brew more!
I never thought about a hop sock - does it effect the amount of IBU/flavour you get as its not all throughout the wort?

cheers lads

brewers, today i got the chance to brew with my improved brew rig and nice stainless QD fittings - oh it was so much better than days of old worm drive clamps.

Anyway i made a CFC many years ago, and its worked well for a long time however today i am sick of its little leaks and issues, its also a bit slow to chill 50Lt of wort.

What i want to get is a plate chiller and have a temp readout on the wort outlet (like i have seen others do)

questions:
- do i need a hop screen in the kettle so it wont get into the chiller?
- the mashmaster or similar 3inch dial temp probs - are they very slow to change temp? and i saw some people complain about their lack of quality ( google search - not sure where these home brewers where - usa maybe) has anyone used these for this use and had issues?

I would like to use a stainless temp probe such as probe RTD and connect it to a digital display, as i already have 1 pid controller and want to add a similar for my HLT so it wouldnt look out of place on the control box. ( maybe a bit of an over kill tho)
- does anyone know of a display that might suit such a probe? if i can not do this i am back to the temp dials and a T peice.

I have so much brew stand envy of the fab units out there.

thanks for the help

Use my HERMS controller (Mashmate) here, but nothing stopping you from using a PID or other such device. Bought an extra probe (1/2 BSP SS probe) and have that plumbed into the outlet of the chiller, switch over to the chiller after the boil.

Cheers,

Screwy

Diagram and pic.

HERMS___Outlet_edited_1.jpgPlate_Chiller_1_Small.jpg

Use my HERMS controller (Mashmate) here, but nothing stopping you from using a PID or other such device. Bought an extra probe (1/2 BSP SS probe) and have that plumbed into the outlet of the chiller, switch over to the chiller after the boil.

Cheers,

Screwy

Thanks Screwy, thats the sort of thing i am looking at doing. When you say you switch over to the chiller, does that mean you use the same display (HERMS) and just switch the sensors to the display input (i guess at the same time ensuring there is no power to the HERMS system so it is not tricked buy the cooler temp sensor input).

cheers

Latest posts

Back