Woolworths to exit Masters hardware venture

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Conspiracy Theorist
  • Pro
  • AHB_SUPPORTER.png
  • 17,640 posts
  • Joined 09-June 08

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:51 AM
I expect Masters will be the next cab off the rank, being another store that can't decide what it's core business should be.
I'd love to see Mitre 10 get a backer, buy Masters, ditch the fridges and designer kitchens and really go after Bunnings.
They wouldn't need to repaint the stores either. :)

OH WELL SO SAD.

Bunnings I think is owned by Wesfarmers (ie, part of the Coles Galactic empire). But damn they're friendly.

I remember when a Masters store sprung up in South Morang near us and we ended up in there looking for something. Miles of unfriendly, cold concrete, and not a soul in sight - Masters had cut costs by barking at their staff through intercom, as opposed to Bunnings where a worker seems to be round every corner.

Looks like it didn't work for them.

wynnum1 said:
Have they removed the old skate park.
Haven't gone to look yet. Was supposed to be closed last week in preparation for earthworks for new Masters
Prime commercial space will probably now go to developers for more ghetto housing as is the way around here

wide eyed and legless said:
Conspiracy Theorist
  • Pro
  • AHB_SUPPORTER.png
  • 17,640 posts
  • Joined 09-June 08

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:51 AM
I expect Masters will be the next cab off the rank, being another store that can't decide what it's core business should be.
I'd love to see Mitre 10 get a backer, buy Masters, ditch the fridges and designer kitchens and really go after Bunnings.
They wouldn't need to repaint the stores either. :)
Good call Bribie G!!

Looks like mitre 10 *might* get a crack at it (assuming Wollies puts it up for sale, instead of just winding it up).

Be interesting to see how well Woolies can survive this.
Freakin bug dump to take.

On there website they want $45 to deliver by truck about 5 km for a small item..

Masters are just about finished with their huge new store development at Noarlunga SA, opening was to be soon. Guess it won't be opening now, unbelievable and it is across the road from Bunnings!

Bunnings needs to buy up all the Masters locations and open a line of supermarkets. All of them would be within spitting distance of a Bunnings. Institute companion deals for shopping at both on the same day. Mom goes shopping, Dad goes to Bunnings… Bam! Woolworths would crumble.

If the stores just get abandoned it's going to be a huge urban blight on the landscape, empty deteriorating buildings with grass growing up through cracks in the car parks.
Talk about urban decay, the so called "broken window syndrome" that's hollowing out a lot of the urban landscape in the USA.
Meet you behind the old Masters store for an ice deal.

I've never been in a Masters store but that because we don't have any close by. Why did they always open within a stone throw of Bunnies? Perhaps I'm just a dumb old f%ck but does not seem good practice to me.
Silly old bugger like me prefers the local hardware store.

grott said:
Masters are just about finished with their huge new store development at Noarlunga SA, opening was to be soon. Guess it won't be opening now, unbelievable and it is across the road from Bunnings!
I noticed the signage when I was there over Xmas ,I also see Aldi is going on that site which could be good for some bargains .

manticle said:
What if mum wants to buy a hammer?
Then I'll marry her. Can she fix cars too? I'd much rather spend my days cooking and brewing.

My ex-girlfriend installed a split axle and new leaf springs in my live-in school bus. Couldn't cook worth a damn, but I could cook her pants off. We were both happy with the arrangement.

Mardoo said:
Then I'll marry her. Can she fix cars too? I'd much rather spend my days cooking and brewing.

My ex-girlfriend installed a split axle and new leaf springs in my live-in school bus. Couldn't cook worth a damn, but I could cook her pants off. We were both happy with the arrangement.
How did it all go wrong then? Did she beat you in one too many arm wrestles? :lol:

Latest posts

Back