Woolworths to exit Masters hardware venture

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chinese proverb was accurate: "thin women for looking at, fat women for............"

Bribie G said:
Chinese proverb was accurate: "thin women for looking at, fat women for............"
Making fun of on the internet.

do woollies even own the buildings?

i thought wes farmers rents the buildings bunnings is in from another mob that pretty much just owns most of the building bunnings is in.

not 100% sure, i was drunk when listening to some other bar fly down the pub....

wide eyed and legless said:
Woolies could sell all the Masters sites to Costco.
Many of the Masters stores are located in areas where the sale of food items are prohibited by local planning schemes.

Maheel said:

i thought wes farmers rents the buildings bunnings is in from another mob that pretty much just owns most of the building bunnings is in.

not 100% sure, i was drunk when listening to some other bar fly down the pub....
I doubt that woollies would own the masters buildings.

You are right. About 70 bunnings buildings are owned by the Bunnings Warehouse Property Trust which is managed by wesfarmers and 75% owned by external investors.

http://www.bwptrust.com.au/IRM/content/default.aspx

Woolies own some and lease others. About a 60/40 mix one way or the other

Maheel said:

Seems legit

I know Masters in Coffs Harbour rent the building and land from the Holden Dealership next door
They built the damn thing just as Bunnings was building a brand new mega location closer to town, less than 1km from where Masters went in
Building near Bunnings was a utterly stupid idea, they're already a very well known brand with loyal customers
Whereas here in Muswellbrook the only thing we have is an incredibly overpriced Home Timber & Hardware outlet and a decent little hardware and timber shop
If they had of built somewhere like here they'd make a killing

Atleast masters had better power equipment for gardening.

They have honda mowers.

Bunnings trimmers and mowers are cheap and nasty.

But cheap and nasty is what sells.

Markbeer said:

They have honda mowers.

Cheap and nasty with a 3 year replacement warranty.........

Interesting strategy, most DIY people use it for a little bit then it sits in the cupboard.

sp0rk said:
Whereas here in Muswellbrook the only thing we have is an incredibly overpriced Home Timber & Hardware outlet and a decent little hardware and timber shop
If they had of built somewhere like here they'd make a killing
From Wikipedia:
Home Timber and Hardware (commonly known as "Home" or "Home Hardware") is Australia's third largest retail hardware chain. It is owned by Danks Holdings Ltd; it is a joint venture of Australia's Woolworths Ltd and Charlotte (USA) hardware chain Lowe's.[1] Its main competitors are Mitre 10, Bunnings Warehouse and increasingly Masters Home Improvement, which is also a joint venture between Woolworths and Lowe's.

Markbeer said:

They have honda mowers.

I beg to differ having run a gardening business for the past nine years. Masters used to stock local manufacturers (TPG I think) versions of Honda mowers with the good Overhead Valve range of GXV 160 motors that most mowing contractors use in this country. For some reason late last year they cut to a a supply of "Honda" mowers that were direct imported from the USA with the much inferior GCV 160 Overhead Cam engine which is significantly weaker. The blades on them and worse still the clutch and gearbox on them is all US stock and you will be very hard pressed to find a dealer that can supply parts for them in this country. The Bunnings Victa Honda clone has the engine and parts that you can get from Honda dealers in this country. The rest of Masters range of gardening power tools was probably just a notch under the crap that they sold at Bunnings.

Bunnings ain't great but Masters just had no idea and seemingly no intent to learn to be better.

And most of that cable is still installed just waiting to catch fire when the insulation breaks down...

I can see why the suppliers went into liquidation.

To replace all that wiring in each house is a VERY expensive job

If it was in my house I'd want it replaced, the other suggested method is to de-rate all the circuits in your house, how awesome would it be to have 10amp power circs through your house, then in a few years time after you get sick of them tripping you call a sparky in to have a look, and he probably says "some Wally has installed the wrong size circuit breakers, I can fix that for you"...

Probably is happening elsewhere but two new (being build) stores were to open within the month here in Adelaide, lots of people interviewed, promised jobs etc only now to be told "piss off".

Greedy bureaucrats, Boards and shareholders don't give a stuff - "I'm alright jack" attitude with business gives me the shits..

Bridges said:
If it was in my house I'd want it replaced, the other suggested method is to de-rate all the circuits in your house, how awesome would it be to have 10amp power circs through your house, then in a few years time after you get sick of them tripping you call a sparky in to have a look, and he probably says "some Wally has installed the wrong size circuit breakers, I can fix that for you"...
De-rating is NOT the answer. The issue is with the insulation breaking down on its own. Wouldnt matter how much current went thru it its still dangerous. Bit like the old rubber insulated wiring in old houses. the wire can take the current but the insulation falls off and thats where the danger is

Didn't say de-rating was the answer just one of the early "solutions" to what is still a massive problem. Most of the cable probably wasn't sold to contractors so there is no record or idea where it ended up. Another one to file under if it seems to cheap it probably is. Or even under buy local. But I believe that the expected time frame on the cable becoming brittle begins in 2016, so if your job involves crawling around in roof spaces or sub floors take even more care.

Back