Wintergreen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norsman

Reaction score
Hi, After seeing dried wintergreen leaves in the LHBS, my curiosity got going. Wintergreen smells very minty or spearminty. I was wondering if anyone has used them before? How have you used them? (did you 'dry hop' or boil?) and how much did you use? What kind of results did you end up with?

Well Wintergreen here in Australia is a variety of turfgrass commonly used on golf course fairways. Golf courses such as Royal Sydney and where I used to work in Brisbane use it as their primary turf surface. Nothing as far as a hop variety AFAIK.

Cheers.

(Turf geek - M.Agr(Turf) final year PhD - thank God)

The wintergreen Nors is talking about is not grass. It is very spearminty, have used essence of wintergreen before Norse in baking. Also it's used as an aid to traction (stops rubber slipping), mainly in the food industry, for plant conveyors filling capping equip etc. Have never seen it mentioned in brewing down under.
Cheers

I think it's also an ingredient in american-style root beer if you'd like to brew something different.

Yeah the only info on the net that I could find had to do with rootbeer.

After thinking and dreaming about Wintergreen for the past 24 hrs, I think It might be nice to add some to a porter as a holiday-type beer. Hmmmmm... is that a good enough excuse to brew a wintergreen porter for next Christmas? I say yes! May have to experiment with the dosage to get it right in the meanwhile (more excuses for brewing).

Latest posts

Back