Winterfest Medieval Fair

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Wadey

Reaction score
And now for something completely different.........(& in my neck of the woods too!!)

Winterfest Medieval Fair

http://www.winterfest.com.au/index.html

Jousting, swordfights, period costume etc

Period beer ?????

I think my kids would love this, fantasy costume for the girl, plenty of 'whacking' of things for my little 2yr old boy.
If only I didn't want to discourage his current obsession with whacking things......

Wad

Ive known a few people in the SCA over the years - they've mentioned mead at their events, but never ales.

May be an opening for an enterpenurial home brewer!

Folks

Its a dry event otherwise I would have my medieval beer there. I do a recipe that's as close to a 1599 beer as I can get without growing my own grain and hops.

I'll be there all weekend with the Stoccata School of Defence. We do historical fencing and will be putting on displays all weekend.

To get a taste of what we do look here - http://www.youtube.com/user/Stoccata

Whacking people with swords is great fun.

Cheers
Dave

Airgead do your mob ever get up to the Abbey Medieval Festival here North of Brisbane? It's the biggest one in Australia and held at the Abbey on the Bribie Island Road. My son is into it and usually goes along as a peasant. They have a mead area but the beer tent serves XXXX etc and Tooheys Old which is my standby. I couldn't attend this year as I did an AHB brewday last Saturday week but next year....

My son said that some of them were thinking of a braggott but there are licencing issues and at the very least I suppose the ale would have to come from a licenced micro.

Airgead do your mob ever get up to the Abbey Medieval Festival here North of Brisbane? It's the biggest one in Australia and held at the Abbey on the Bribie Island Road. My son is into it and usually goes along as a peasant. They have a mead area but the beer tent serves XXXX etc and Tooheys Old which is my standby. I couldn't attend this year as I did an AHB brewday last Saturday week but next year....

My son said that some of them were thinking of a braggott but there are licencing issues and at the very least I suppose the ale would have to come from a licenced micro.

We usually stick to the Sydney shows as we mostly do them to recruit new members. We aren't re-enactors as such. We re-create the medieval fighting styles as a western martial art based on the original documents that have survived from antiquity. We aren't sop much into dressing up. We would rather wear modern safety gear so we can do the techniques safely - we wear full face protection rather than period open face helmets so when the text says "and now stab him in the face" we can stab him in the face without damaging him.

There are some QLD based groups like us, mostly in Brisbane. I can put you in touch if you like.

Cheers
Dave

Yes - drink a glass or two, suddenly dissolve into tears then throw a cast iron pan at SWMBO's head screaming "you wouldn't understand"

I was going to make a crack about a red ale but yours is better.

Latest posts

Back