"judging" Experience

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant

Reaction score
All this talk about judges in other threads makes me recall an experience over the weekend. So, Im down south with a dozen mates for a bucks weekend. Ive taken along my party keg/miracle box to christen, with a keg of hefe and one of a SNPA clone. The boys are all impressed, and being my 4th and 5th AG brews, Im really happy with them too. In fact, the only thing off-spec with them is that with higher than expected mash efficiency and over-attenuating yeast in the SNPA (91% using 1056), it ended up at 7.2%, nicely masked by the hopping, but enough to feel it after a few pints.

One of the boys lives down there and mentions to me that the bloke over the road is a keen homebrewer, and he told him wed take a jug over later to sample. Sounds good I said, always happy to meet another HBer. So we trundled over later that night, to be greeted by a group of 8 or so sitting round having beers, and the introductory line Oh youre not bringing that dark shit around we jumped the fence earlier while you were out and helped ourselves that is complete shit. Now, this is my much loved 7.2% APA, using fresh malt, smoothly bittered with Magnum and Perle, dry hopped with Cascade plugs, a lovely amber colour and an aroma to die for. I was a little taken aback.

Get this into you this just won a prize at the show, was the call made, and a glass put into my hand. It was carbonated just fine, was nice and clear, but an extract tang like there were a couple of rubber bands sitting in the bottom of the bottle. Now Im not knocking extract brewing I still do one now and then with a forgiving style, but a clean lager isnt that sort of style.
How do you like that eh? Thats a real beer. Its certainly crisp I offer, but not my favourite style.

What do you mean? Im asked. Its a lager, I say, and I prefer to make either ales, or a darker lager.

Oh, so youre calling that crap a style now are you? Mate, its just shit. Im a judge, and that is just shit. Too sweet, another guy offers. Im getting confused. Did I walk in with a sticker saying abuse me on my forehead? Did that guy just say this heavy-hopped beer is sweet? I do however note the correlation that this guy is a judge, and his beer has just won an award at the local show.

Other examples of the scintillating repartee I experienced in the 5 minutes I wasted lending my ear to this knob-jockey:

How many brews have you made - Ive made 340. Well, I replied, Ive been brewing on and off for about 12 years, but only really seriously the last 2 or 3. Ive started making all grain brews in the last few months.

What, you mean grain as in from scratch? Yes, I reply. From scratch. With fresh malt, hops and some good yeast strains

What a waste of time that is all you need is a Coopers lager, a kilo of sugar and whack it at 26 degrees (note - brewed in the shed with no temp control).

I left very shortly thereafter, begrudging the fact that Id just wasted 1140 mL of the 12L keg Id bought down on a guy and his mates, who in front of me, had sniffed the beer and tipped it on the grass. Only positive thing I could take out of the exchange was that at least he was a homebrewer, and he and his mates liked his beer better than commercial stuff.

I'm fairly certain this guy was NOT, I repeat in shiny neon letter, NOT a BJCP judge... :ph34r:

LOL :D

If there was a way to distil that story down into a sig, you'd see it on all my posts!

You take the good with the bad, ant. :super:

Berp.

There's a thread on how to tell someone you don't like their beer, and most people said they would prefer positive feedback- you received blind stupid feedback and I'm sorry you had to go through that nonsense :angry:

The idea that just because someone has made a lot of batches does not make them a master- especially if 250 times it's been 'coopers PA with 1kg dex' and all the others it's been 'coopers stout with 1kg dex'. The numbers game is just wanker talk <_<

Your beer sounds like it's delicious! don't waste it on them and give them a basic K&K real ale if it'll make 'em happy and keep the good stuff to yourself :p

I'd also like to know what he means by 'judge'; where did he judge at?

great story ant. sounds like the only mistake you made was to waste your time and beer on a bunch of swillers like that.

take satisfaction in the knowledge that they are cursed to drink shite beer for eternity. by their own choice.

What a halfwit... "judge" my ass. Imagine all the beers he marked down because they were too "dark".

Oh well, more beer for those that appreciate it, some people wouldn't know good beer if it came up and bit em on the butt.

Reminds me of when i was telling a 70-yr old that drinks nothing but Coopers Stout with 1kg of Cane sugar brewed with baker's yeast at 32 that i was going all grain and had done an APA and a German Pilsner - his reply "i've tried all that shit, the bavarian lager, the canadian blonde" etc and i just shut him up by telling him exactly what i meant and giving him a taste - to which his only reply was "it's good but what a waste of time" - this is from a guy that sits around drinking beer watching sport all day. :rolleyes:

Ant
Dont worry about tosspots like that, they deserve their beer fermented at 26C. Just remember, that not everyone is into good beer. Look at breweries like sierra nevada, and the other 1450 micro's residing around the states - they hold 3% of the beer market. THREE PERCENT! In a country that actually has some of the best beer on the planet. So, you can lead a horse to water.... Some people are quite happy to drink shite, and I am sure it is very easy to rock up to the local show and become a "judge". Keep up with the waste of time all grain stuff, and when giving out samples, always make sure you only pour about 50mL into the bottom of each glass, and tell em its OK if they dont like it - all the more for you.
All the best
Trent

Ant, don't worry about them. They're losers. Goatherder put it so perfectly "they are cursed to drink shite beer for eternity. by their own choice."

They didn't have to like your beer or even pretend they liked it. But its sad when people repay neighbourly behaviour with such rudeness.

Cheers

Thank God for AHB eh?

I've got mates who sound exacly like this.

In fact, I'm sure we all do.

F@ck Em.

Brew your beer for yourself and others who appreciate a good drop, and if you get some toss pot like just now, tell us all about it so we can have a good laugh!!!!

Cheers,
Thommo

All Day Every Day - want a job in a HBS?

When it all gets too much, I find sticking your head into the hop fridge and hyperventilating helps!

Thank God for the 30 odd mashers who frequent my place, at least we get some interesting conversations.

MHB

Hey, just a thought. Maybe your beer did taste like shit.

Seriously, not everyone will like your AG.

I gave a guy a taste of my hefeweizen, which is a great beer, only to see him tip it down the sink.

All in all, be assured that if you think your beer tastes good, then it is good

In the end, homebrew is about brewing beer you enjoy without spending a fortune (on ingredients! equipment is different :p)

Took some crappy kit "lagah" to my mates house as a joke. His dad stole a bottle and said it tasted awesome! It had a decent kit tang but wasn't the worse I'd made. We started takling about homebrew and he said he's been making the same stuff for years, he's used to it and it work's for him. He asked me how to get the solvent taste out, told him to keep the temperature down to 18-20 and sanitise taps/etc. He now makes decent kit beer and is liking it instead of tolerating it!

In other words, you can easily get used to shit beer if you drink enough of it (see the masses of VB drinkers for example), and judge other beer against it. I really don't know what this guy was "judging" though, was possibly testing stool samples though.

ant

a beautifully written post, I felt that I was almost there..though the sawn-off shot gun I imagined under the "judges" table sort of distracted me !!
of course there is no point in arguing with bigots, and often no point in even discussing them
programs such as the BJCP and i am sure that there are others, increase awareness and increase knowledge of brewing, the KKK guy may be quite happy with his beer but to denigrate yours on the basis of, what was it, colour?, shows not only his/her lack of knowledge but his/her refusal to learn.
I know a chap who is now in his 80's who has been brewing for nearly or maybe more than 30 years, he uses Coopers Kit and sugar, his beers are good, clean icy cold beers, as they warm some acetaldehyde is apparent but thats about it, but then again this chap, whilst not moving from his chosen ingredients listens and still, at 82, learns.

K

That would have to be the extreme end of bad reactions Ant.

Interestingly I took a bunch of beers into work a couple of Fridays back for my team as we had pulled another huge week of hours.
Aidans Irish Red went down a treat with everyone, then onto the Robust Porter, Wit, and RyeIPA's that all got mixed reactions. The Imperial Pilsner however was the favourite of the arvo. Go figure. No way you can pick everyones taste pallets.

Brew what makes you happy Ant.

Beers,
Doc

There's one thing in this story I'm really having trouble with...

One of the boys lives down there and mentions to me that the bloke over the road is a keen homebrewer, and he told him we’d take a jug over later to sample. Sounds good – I said, always happy to meet another HBer. So we trundled over later that night, to be greeted by a group of 8 or so sitting round having beers, and the introductory line “Oh – you’re not bringing that dark shit around – we jumped the fence earlier while you were out and helped ourselves – that is complete shit”.

..what?? :blink:

Wankers like that are half the reason I left the retail (HB) industry. Now I am not talking about educated homebrewers who have actually taken the time to study quality homebrew literature - these are people (generally the old buggers) who walk in, state they have been brewing since the time of Noah, and claim their 34C fermented coopers and cane (brewed next to the hot water heater in the middle of summer, mind you) is the best brew around and everything else is crap! These are the kind of people who would ask your advice on something, not to get actual feedback, but merely to get a pat on the back for being so "brilliant". They outright refuse to believe that their beloved brewing practices are wrong - a particular book I hear that is about to hit the market (if it hasn't already) that states you should add a small amount of sea-water to your brew (yes - sea-water!), and that SO2 is a yeast nutrient - pretty much sums up my argument here.

As for him being a "Judge" - well I am not about to get back on that rant-wagon as I think I said my piece earlier. Trent summed it up above with the quote "I am sure it is very easy to rock up to the local show and become a "judge"."

MHB - Boy, can I relate... but it was when I started rolling my eyes to the sound of the door opening and when, at one time, I looked at a particularly annoying customer and said "Why did you have to choose homebrew for a hobby?", that I decided staying in the industry was not doing myself, the customers or the hobby/industry as a whole, any favours.

Cheers,
TSD

I'm fairly certain this guy was NOT, I repeat in shiny neon letter, NOT a BJCP judge... :ph34r:
Spot on! In fact, one of the tenets of the BJCP is that you should always give constructive critisism if a sample requires it. If you know something is wrong with the beer, point it out in significant detail. If you know how to fix the problem, indicate how. Perhaps what you should have done was ask him in what way the beer was "shit"? I wonder how detailed his explaination would be? Would he have gone into detail about how the beer differed significantly from the style guidelines? Doubtful, as I sincerely doubt this fellow knows his arse from his face and from the way he made his comments he is not, in my opinion, a judge worth listening to.

Cheers,
TSD

There's one thing in this story I'm really having trouble with...

One of the boys lives down there and mentions to me that the bloke over the road is a keen homebrewer, and he told him wed take a jug over later to sample. Sounds good I said, always happy to meet another HBer. So we trundled over later that night, to be greeted by a group of 8 or so sitting round having beers, and the introductory line Oh youre not bringing that dark shit around we jumped the fence earlier while you were out and helped ourselves that is complete shit.

..what?? :blink:

Pretty much sums up the standard of human being involved.
"Ignore them and they'll go away" my parents used to tell me. "WHEN?" I ask. They're MULTIPLYING :excl:
The first piece of advice is still worthwhile. To each their own.

Ant that sucks, i put myself through the same thing with almost every brew i make by telling my friends how excited i am about my latest brew and asking them to have a taste, i never get good feedback and it really gets me down sometimes, i just have to keep reminding myself these are people who don't brew some don't even drink beer that often and when they do it's always VB. one of my friends does brew but only K+K i personally don't like most of his brews there drinkable but there's no flavour, thats how he likes them tho and i always tell him there good and ask him what sort of brew he wants to do next and try and give him some advice on adding hops and grain (he still won't steep any grains but i'll get him there one day)

anyway sorry about the rant i was really only ment to post this, peas and corn mentioned this thread so i went looking for it

Beer Critique, How without offending people

cheers all

-Phill

Latest posts

Back