Winter = soups & stews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually old roosters are perfect for making stock. Not so good for eating.

My Aunty used to buy boiling hens from the chinesse shop to make stock with. They where to old for good meat eating but perfect for stock.

Got a corn chowder lined up for tonight, mighty tasty and easy.

Fair enough Stu, I'll give that a run sometime then.

His only a real young rooster, just started crowing, but won't play nice with others. I'll get some more chooks to try him out with, for now his all on his lonesome in a another little chicken pen.

I got 3 Muscovy Ducks today, to go with my 5 Guinea Fowl, 6 Chickens and 2 Roosters. Big chicken run is starting to fill up :)

I saw the Guinea fowl there.

Wondered why Sir Rooster was in solitary confinement

His a bad boy. Although to be fair he has no ladies to protect, the other rooster stole them all.

Shaunous for a really good chicken stock, take the stripped raw bones, place in a pot with cold water, peeled white onions (quarters or smaller - smaller onions are usually sweeter) some sliced leek (white part only) and some celery (no leaves or super green bits). Very small pinch of salt.
Bring to the boil, turn to a simmer and simmer for one hour. Scoop the frothy crap off the top during the simmer.
Strain off the liquid, portion and refrigerate or freeze.

Might do some osso bucco and/or lamb shanks soon. Good winter dishes - both with some kind of potato. Definitely mash with shanks.
Bake mashing potatoes like nicola in the oven, peel while hot and crush with mouli or masher. Don't let it cool. Have equal portions of cream and unsalted butter hot and melted together in a pot with a whole garlic clove.
Slowly add wet mix to mashed potato and incorporate as you go. I like to use a whisk. Don't overwork the potato. Get it till it seems almost too wet, whisk in some olive oil and season to taste.
You need tough hands to peel hot potatoes but it is worth it. Next best is boiling whole. Still need tough hands.

Sweet AH, will give that a GO.

Cheers.

And definitely mash only with lamb shanks

Manticle, will try your mash recipe some time soon hopefully, sounds awesome. Your a chef aren't you?

+1 for chefs.

I do my chicken differently and bake the bones to render any fat and impart a caramelisation to them, I use unpeeled onions and carrots to impart bitterness, it's a French thing and not for everyone. Pasley is a must and maybe some thyme. We use this as a sauce thickened with arrowroot.

As the saying goes there are as many stocks as there are chefs.

One of the best lines I have ever heard from a wait staff when dining out was ' we have a very good stock today so the risotto would be your best bet'

Above stock recipe is for a basic white chicken stock - good for soups, risottos etc.
If you want to avoid colour in the stock, it's a good method. If you want a browner stock with some thickening abilities, browning and roasting the bones and veg is the way to go.
Mentioned lamb shanks above - lamb and/or veal shanks are a great addition to any jus or other rich brown sauce. Loads of gelatin, loads of flavour.

We did a lamb stock a few months (Jus) ago to go with straps on parsnip and sage mash little bit of brandy. Dutch carrots and baby turnips. A grat winter warmer. Our best seller atm is osso. Followed by scampy and clam linguine preserved lemon etc. No one seems to want a seafood platter this time of year and with the squalls we are having right now comfort food is the main contender. If the resturant style would allow it I'd have a hearty pea and ham soup on the menu. Fine dining does not allow for good old hearty recipes which is a shame as punters miss out on great feeds. Sometimes I wish I could go back to pub chef ing and put out great meals for the masses and serve staples like a good soup, I love soups, maybe it's just me but they can be hearty and to the point of a meal.

shaunous said:
I have a rooster awaiting despatch, how'd u go about making the stock?

I was just gunna launch the big fella into the convection oven to bake whole and turn into sandwich meat 4 work.

P.s. Fuk all these last few posts all sound amazing.
How old is it?

Cock au vin (https://www.google.com.au/search?q=cock+au+vin ) is the traditional French use of a 2-year old rooster.

Do you have a slow cooker?

I did one of our roosters the other day into borscht - an 18 month old Faverolles so he was quite heavy.
The breast meat is going to be a bit stringy, but if that's a problem for you, dicing it would go a long way to making it better.

-kt

Inspired by Tahoose's recipe, I did a slow-cooker of Goulash for last night, with extra Ghouls.

Serves 5 with leftovers.

700g shin beef
1x small ham hock, roughly skinned
2x large onions
1x large tin tomatoes
1x small sweet potato
4x bay leaves
1x teaspoon of whole caraway seeds
6x heaped-ish dessert spoons of paprika - 4x smoked, 2x mild (I couldn't find the sweet).
1x (275g?) bag of dried borlotti beans
1x bottle of dark beer
(shit, I forgot the garlic).
5x sliced brown mushrooms (or more)
1x cup (or more) of frozen corn

** Do not add salt, there is more than enough in the ham hock

Soak the borlotti beans for some hours, and remove any rocks.
Chop the sweet potato into roughly 1cm cubes
Chop the onions into small enough pieces such that your boy wont find and complain about them.
Brown the shin beef in a little olive oil.
- Die-glaze the pan with the dark beer
Add the meat, tomatoes, sweet potato, ham hock, and corn into the slow cooker.
Ensure the liquid level in the slow cooker is roughly covering the meat, if not add some, maybe more beer (you drank the leftovers already didn't you?!) or stock
Cook for at least 3 hours.

About 3 hours before serving ~
Add the pre-soaked borlotti beans
(Maybe, *maybe* these could go in first thing, but I would a add extra liquid)

About 1 hour (or less) before serving ~
Ring the kids from other kid's dance class and tell them to: Add the sliced mushrooms
(make sure you get the kid that actually likes mushrooms to do this, not the other one who hates them, as the count of "some mushrooms" might equal zero)

At serving:
Sprinkle the caraway seeds on top, stir in.

The beans and sweet potato will have nicely thickened everything.
The caraway seeds are an excellent addition (thanks Mardoo!)

cheers,
-kt

What did the crowd think? Have an afternoon off today, normally I'd brew some beer, but I brewed on Monday and have 3 beers on the go so I might do some cooking.

Hmm decisions.

+1 for pub food.

My local do various types of sausages like morrocan camel, goat, crocodile & appricot etc with mash. Nice and simple.

Next on my list is a good old pea & ham soup. Let it simmer lightly until the bones become soft and crumbly and break up

Shaunous... What everyone else said about making stock.... the only thing I'd add is, stuff you got rid of when roasting the chook can go back into the stock. Especially the legs. Lots of delicious fat on the legs.

Mardoo said:
Or in voodoo either for that matter.
Papa Legba likes chicken feet. And Rum. Give him an offering of chicken feet and rum and he will open the ways for you.

Neither soup nor stew but tasty and warming. Cooked this up the other night.

Got some ras el hanous (mysterious african spice mix - could make up your own with a few bits and pieces), dry toasted till aromatic and added garlic, chilli and oil. Cook till garlic starts to brown, deglaze pan with a touch of chicken stock, cool and marinate chook tits overnight.

Next day, fry lightly seasoned chicken breasts till brown, finish in oven and rest. Cook some diced garlic, chilli and a touch of lemon zest slowly in oil, add a diced tomato and fine diced, seeded red capsicum, add chicken stock, teaspoon or so of orange blossom water and a small splash of white wine vinegar, bring to boil, add couscous. Bring back to boil, stir and turn off heat. Let couscous sit for a moment or two covered, uncover and fluff with a fork or whisk. Check seasoning. Lemon juice over chicken, fresh chopped parley in couscous, natural yoghurt plain or with a touch of smoked paprika.

Back