Wine taste!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers. Will do. Stubbs out of the bottle. Long necks out of a glass?

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

Ok thanks. Yep long necks out of a glass Stubbs out of the bottle?

Cheers. Do you think drinking out the bottle changes the taste/smell?

Ahh just realised we've started a new page. Sorry, didn't think my replies were sending. :)

Drinking out of the bottle definitely effects the smell (as you pretty much don't smell the beer at all when the bottle is in your mouth) and therefore the taste.

Much of our taste is dependent on smell. Try eating something fragrant like a curry holding your nose.

You should always drink your beers out of a glass for this reason (within reason obviously, I'll drink lagers out of the bottle at Friday night knock off drinks!) It's also partly the reason why there are beer style specific glasses. They're not just gimmicks.

Ok. So last night I brewed a coopers pale ale kit with 750 gm malt 250 gm dextrose and 250 gm corn syrup. I used the US 05 yeast you suggested. Today it's bubbling away nicely and smells delicious. Fingers crossed. Thanks again for your tips. Much appreciated. The US 05 yeast seems to be making it bubble at a slower steadier rate? Is that right? Sitting on about 20 degrees c same as I allways do ?

Should be all good mate. Just wait a week or so and do a hydrometer reading to see how it's going.

Are you going to dry hop this batch?

I'm still not sure how to go about that? Havnt read into it yet. Is it hard?

Not hard sir, buy some hops from your homebrew shop (or online) for example 15- 20g of cascade, centennial, chinook or citra (the classic 'C' hops all favorites with beginners and good for pale ales) and drop them into your fermenter on day 5 or 6 of brewing.

Don't worry about an infection, hops have natural anti-bacterial properties. Just open the fermenter, pour them in and seal it back up again. They'll float around for a day or three then sink to the bottom imparting an amazing aroma to your beer. Easy as and pretty fancy too :)

Sound like a plan. Cheers heaps mate. I thought it involved boiling and all sorts of hard work :). Thanks heaps again. Will do.

You can add hops to the boil during the brew process for extra hop flavour etc but for dry hopping you just throw them into the fermenter. It's an easy way to get introduced to hops and maybe next time you'll want to give boiling them a try.

It's not too much extra work and well worth it, believe me :)

Ok. Sounds like a step in the right direction. Much appreciated. Cheers

Thanks again. Hey just havin a Sierra Nevada at the mo. What would be a good hop to try to copy that. Been eying them off at the bottle o for a while now. First try. Bloody nice :)

Great drop! There are a few extract recipes floating around for SN.

Get a few kit brews down first then move on to extract brewing (using unhopped malt and adding hops yourself). If you like hoppy IPAs, there is a great thread on here for a feral Hop Hog clone (you need to try this if you haven't already); give that a go!!

Cascade is an American style hop which will produce similar aromas to what is in the Sierra Nevada pale ale - you'll be amazed at how much difference adding a bit to your fermenter will make to your kit

Yeah I read the label. It said cascade hops. Any one know where I could buy cascade rhizomes. I've been looking around and found some others but not cascade. Cheers for your help again coronessa :)

Just cracked one of my pale ales with the extra malt and the US 05 yeast. Maybe too much malt? Not too bad but not what I was hoping for. Bugger. Been bottled for over two weeks now. Got the same brew fermenting at the mo but with sparkling ale kit instead. Might grab some hops tomorrow and throw them in the fermenter.

I've said it before mate but hops will be the key to what your after - not necessarily yeast or malt (although they'll help)

Just threw 15g of cascade pellets into the fermenter on day 6 of fermentation. Coopers sparkling ale. See how we go :)

Back