Windsor Ale Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1469 makes Notto look like mud.....rock solid compact sediment, clears super quick. Nottingham is a great floculator, but not a patch on 1469....the best I've ever seen.

That's pretty much my experience too, just suprised to hear someone say 1469 and 'poor flocculator' in the same sentence. As I said I've never used nottingham so I thought it might be better again. This really is my fav yeast right now, I'm doing everything with it.

Does this yeast normally have the habit of not dropping clear once bottled, as compared to Nottingham,and us56 which I find normally starting to drop out after 2 or 3 days in the bottle?
Ta

stagga.

All`s well now, top 50mill. clear as, rest slowly dropping out.
stagga.

Last weekend I bottled a Brown Ale from primary, fermented at 19C with WY1469 for 1 week. Over the following week I dropped it by 1C each day.
It dropped from 1.052 to 1.010, an apparent attenuation of 80%. Nothing wrong with that.
The bottles already look bright, no cloudiness at all.

Haven't used Windsor, so I can't comment on that.

Yes, no cake on Windsor. It stays powdery forever, but if you are gentle it eventually comes out crystal clear.
Low attenuator, low flocculator. Makes great ordinaries. ESB+Windsor in the fermenter as I type. It is fruity and bready and spicy. It is the best smelling yeast in the brewery. For me its love/hate. Getting those last couple of points out of the gravity can be a real trial.
Cheers

Seriously? 1469 is a poor flocculator? I've had 1469 drop bright if I cough too loud around the fermenter :D . Never seen clearer beers after 2 weeks in the keg.

I've never used nottingham, how high does it flocculate? It must be incredibly high if 1469 is poor in comparison!

:icon_offtopic: I missed that post, I'm currently doing a brew (Northern Brown Ale) using 1469 and I'll have a closer look this time. It's quite possible that the previous 'cloudy' beers were from some other source, such as from late hopping or maybe hot break getting into the cube whatever. Notto is a very good flocculator and sticks well to the bottom, one reason I use it for my 'fake' lagers where I like the beer to be nice and bright in the glass.

Never used Windsor but will definitely give it a whirl in my UK Real ale journey.

:icon_offtopic: I missed that post, I'm currently doing a brew (Northern Brown Ale) using 1469 and I'll have a closer look this time. It's quite possible that the previous 'cloudy' beers were from some other source, such as from late hopping or maybe hot break getting into the cube whatever. Notto is a very good flocculator and sticks well to the bottom, one reason I use it for my 'fake' lagers where I like the beer to be nice and bright in the glass.

Never used Windsor but will definitely give it a whirl in my UK Real ale journey.
Still :icon_offtopic:

1469 turned out great in a brown ale, just did bown a higher gravity northern (~4.5%) and a lower gravity southern (~3%). Both beers are the most brilliantly clear beers I've ever had. I do use polyclar to clear them up further, but there's no haze from the yeast at all.

Seems to be a very versatile yeast, I've gotten 75% attenuation when mashed low and 60% attenuated for the southern brown mashed high. Great flavours and as I said such a clear beer.

I'm sure you won't be dissapointed with 1469 in a brown ale. My next use for it is in an oatmeal stout :icon_drool2:

James

Back