Windsor Ale Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staggalee

Reaction score
Does this yeast normally have the habit of not dropping clear once bottled, as compared to Nottingham,and us56 which I find normally starting to drop out after 2 or 3 days in the bottle?
Ta

stagga.

Wouldn't be surprised. Both the Wyeast liquid pom strains I have used (UK Bitter no 2 I think, and West Yorkshire 1469) have been poor flocculators compared to the mighty Notto but made excellent bitters. I recently bottled a yorkie and gelatined the crap out of it, on bottling not secondary, and it dropped bright in 2 days this time around.
Previously I have gelatined west yorkshire in secondary and all it did was give me a dirty look and still came out like pea soup on bottling <_<

Previously I have gelatined west yorkshire in secondary and all it did was give me a dirty look and still came out like pea soup on bottling <_<

lol-a very apt description of what this looks like, only been bottled a couple of days so plenty of time yet tho. Soon as I see that first 20 mill. clear at the top of the bottle I`ll be happier, knowing it`s on it`s way.
Thanks

stagga.

could it be your method of priming stagga? ;)

Lobo

I find this yeast generally stays cloudy for a few weeks, then settles out to be crystal clear.

I brewed with this not so long ago for an ordinary bitter using available ingredients, and from memory it dropped bright.

ED: As per above, it would have been at least 14 days with a crash chill and CC at the end.

Does this yeast normally have the habit of not dropping clear once bottled, as compared to Nottingham,and us56 which I find normally starting to drop out after 2 or 3 days in the bottle?
Ta

stagga.

Stagga,
its definitely a low flocculating yeast and also has low attenuation, compared to your other English dries.
All good though, its my favourite (dry) yeast for bitters.
But if you are bottling, yes you will need to be gentle with your post fridge movement/transport... as this yeast doesnt set like concrete (a-la S04)

i usually drop as much yeast out as i can by chilling the ferm down for a few days post fermentation, easiest way.

Not keen on this yeast, had a lot of problems obtaining decent attenuation out of it. Stopped using it in favour of Nottingham. Also had issues with it floccing out, never tried gelatine on it though admittedly.

John

Not keen on this yeast, had a lot of problems obtaining decent attenuation out of it. Stopped using it in favour of Nottingham. Also had issues with it floccing out, never tried gelatine on it though admittedly.

John

Windsor is meant to have low attenuation, that's one of its key features (if that's what you are after). Great for milds etc, where a low FG is not always the most desired result. If you mash high-sh as well you can usually pull a mild up at around 1.013-14 which I think is about perfect.

Windsor is meant to have low attenuation, that's one of its key features (if that's what you are after). Great for milds etc, where a low FG is not always the most desired result. If you mash high-sh as well you can usually pull a mild up at around 1.013-14 which I think is about perfect.

Yes, TD is right on the money. I use this in my milds & have taken out 1st place in the state championships. I've always seen it drop bright almost immediately though - Great dried yeast, brewing a mild with it this weekend.

cheers Ross

Probably didn`t help that there was a bit of slopping around when I moved the fermenter from fridge to bottling locality.
Pails are great fermenters, but when they`re full they`re a bitch to move or carry without disturbing the contents :(

Thanks all

stagga.

Yes, but I struggled to get it below 1.020, probably my mash temps.

Probably didn`t help that there was a bit of slopping around when I moved the fermenter from fridge to bottling locality.
Pails are great fermenters, but when they`re full they`re a bitch to move or carry without disturbing the contents :(

Thanks all

stagga.

Yeah I think KoNG mentioned it earlier, it settles, but is very easily disturbed again. The yeast slurry at the mottom of the fermenter always reminds me of a chocolate thickshake - its almost that consistency. Nothing like S-04 which sets like concrete.

Yes, but I struggled to get it below 1.020, probably my mash temps.
have you just used it once and got this result? Or a few times? Either way i've used this yeast over 20 times i'd say. Just keg'd a 1057 bitter that finished at 1013. Of all the dried yeast i've used, this one probably needs the most work or attention if you will. My findings show, that nearing the end of fermentation, you have to watch your temp, that it doesn't drop off too much. This may have been your problem? That said. Once its done i drop it right down before racking for several days.
For me though, the results are the most interesting dry yeast i've used. Quite fruity, with some good esters and the higher final grav allows me to wedge some more hops into my recipe.
(Bus ride over)

Wouldn't be surprised. Both the Wyeast liquid pom strains I have used (UK Bitter no 2 I think, and West Yorkshire 1469) have been poor flocculators compared to the mighty Notto but made excellent bitters.

Seriously? 1469 is a poor flocculator? I've had 1469 drop bright if I cough too loud around the fermenter :D . Never seen clearer beers after 2 weeks in the keg.

I've never used nottingham, how high does it flocculate? It must be incredibly high if 1469 is poor in comparison!

Seriously? 1469 is a poor flocculator? I've had 1469 drop bright if I cough too loud around the fermenter :D . Never seen clearer beers after 2 weeks in the keg.

I've never used nottingham, how high does it flocculate? It must be incredibly high if 1469 is poor in comparison!

1469 makes Notto look like mud.....rock solid compact sediment, clears super quick. Nottingham is a great floculator, but not a patch on 1469....the best I've ever seen.

have you just used it once and got this result? Or a few times? <snip> My findings show, that nearing the end of fermentation, you have to watch your temp, that it doesn't drop off too much. This may have been your problem? That said.<snip>

I have probably used it about 4 times in total, will all of them finishing poorly. I don't think its the fermentation temperature being the problem, my shed is extremely well insulated and does not vary much above 24 or below 17 and in winter I temperature control to about spot on 20.

I might have to try it again, I know for a while back when I was using it my temperature control was out of calibration (reading too low), so it really could just be mash temperature being too high.

I have one pack of it left and may just try it again in a month or so when I try the Chiswick Bitter recipe that is floating around.

John

Latest posts

Back