Will This Work With That?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keifer

Reaction score
I got a 2400w element from G&G but no lead. The element has a 'dimple' that prevent me using a standard jug cord (250v 10a). Can i just cut the jug cord plastic so they fit? or do i need a special cord to run the element off?

element.jpg

Cheers,
Keith

Sure looks like it would. Those cords are used in my 2400w kettle, so can't see why the wattage use on it would be an issue.. maybe they modified the plug so you have to buy their "Special" $6000 plug.
I'd give it a go.

to save the trouble, some computer powe4r cables have the dimples, might be worth looking around for a spare rather than trying to cut a grove in the new one.

Cool, thanks guys i might have one laying around somewhere, if not i'll make one :)

Yep she does work!
I was hoping it would be a bit stronger tho :(

Hey AB what is the thread size on that element ?

Pumpy

Mate i dunno, i think it was like 1 inch stuff! big thread.. coz i drilled the s/s out to 3/4" (my biggest drill bit) and had to file for about 15 mins as well.

I'll measure it up when it stops raining if you want?

The one on my 2400W elemtn was ~29mm...ish...give or take an ish. Way bigger than 1"

Yep she does work!
I was hoping it would be a bit stronger tho :(
Appy Brewer,

When you run the element, check the temp of the cord, just feel it after a minute or so and if it feels hot and soft, you don't won't to keep using it. If it is a little above room temp and like a cord normally feels then it will be OK. The worst case is you are up to the critical part of a brew and the thing melts and shorts out on you. This could be your fith or tenth use. These things can take time to fail.

If it gets warm, get a thicker cord! for ten amp, get at least 2.5mm CSA.

I got a 2400w element from G&G but no lead. The element has a 'dimple' that prevent me using a standard jug cord (250v 10a). Can i just cut the jug cord plastic so they fit? or do i need a special cord to run the element off?

element.jpg

Cheers,
Keith

Contact grain and grape and ask them. If they can't answer, return the product. You're dealing with electricity now, and it's a a scary beast to me at least.

From my quick reseach the notch is because the appliance (the element in this case) is a hot item (not stolen but will burn fingers) so you need something better than your normal crappy competer cord to plug into it. RS, the online electronics shop will sell you the correct lead, but so will a good electrical store in your local industrial area.

go to http://www.rsaustralia.com/ and then find

IEC 320 Hot Condition Chassis Plugs/Sockets

this should help.

If you cut a notch in the plastic plug, please keep a close eye on it so it does not melt and change it every several brew sessions.

Latest posts

Back