Will My Beer Go Flat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BennyBrewster

Reaction score
I have carbonated using the Ross Method and have my aussie ales stable at 160 kpa. if I pour/store at 80 kpa will my beer slowly go flat ?

Nah, kegs hold gas... unless you have a leak your keg will be nicely gassed for the whole time you drink it...

You have no worries Benny!

In fact, if you were to experience a problem, it would be over-carbonation if the keg was left for very long periods but this would take so long and is so unlikely, it isn't even worth considering. Also. this problem is easily rectified.

Relax, you are doing everything right!

Edit...

Just on a quick re-read, don't leave your keg at 160 for much longer than overnight as it may become over-carbonated. Drop the pressure back to 80 using the release valve (slowly) the next morning. You can actually do this and start drinking the keg within an hour or less of using Ross's Method but the first few beers can be a little dynamic!

Sorry guys, but this doesn't make sense to me.

I assume you have chosen 80kPa because that is the pressure you need to serve the beer, so that it comes out of the tap not too fast that you get a glass of foam and not too slow that you have to wait until you're sober to get the next beer out.

If you gas your keg to 160kPa, then your beer will come out of the keg too fast, with resultant glass of foam. Thats because the beer is at 160kPa, and so the headspace is at 160kPa. Of course, you could bleed off the excess pressure every time you want to pour a beer. But that will eventually result in degassing your keg. With a serving pressure of 80kPa, my guess is that by the time you've gotten through half the keg, the beer inside will have reached steady state at 80kPa, ie. half the carbonation you were after in the first place.

The only way I see out of this dilemma is to increase the length of your serving lines so that you increase the back pressure so that when you have 160kPa in the keg, the beer flows out the tap at the right level. That way your keg will stay pressurised at 160kPa until its empty.

Am I missing something here?

...on the specific point made by PP: "don't leave your keg at 160 for much longer than overnight as it may become over-carbonated." If your target carbonation for your beer requires 160kPa, then surely if you leave your valve open on your CO2 supply and set the regulator at 160kPa, then nothing will happen since everything is balanced.

Berp.

Just to simplify... I hope...

When you add pressure from the gas bottle into the keg, it will hold carbonation relevant to the pressure applied.

What I'm getting at is if you leave your regulator set at 80Kpa, it will hold a carbonation that is good for an Aussie Ale. It may take a day or two to balance out, but it will be fine.

If your beer pours too fast at 80Kpa, just increase the length of you beer lines.

Cheers,
Jarrad

Latest posts

Back