Why do need to use CO2 when filling a bottle from Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi

If you are filling from a Keg with a pressure filler gun into a bottle, why do you need CO2 first?

If you are filling from a fermenter - this is not even discussed. Does the liquid not push all the gas out and if there is foam, that has a lot

of CO2 in it anyway..? I understand all the parts about CO2 in the bottle is good for long term storage etc but when filling from a

fermenter or other storage container this is not talked about.. I have filled from fermenter to bottle and never had a problem, drank one

other day that has been in for a year.... no issues...

To fit extra pipe of gun is a pain if I also want to use gun in fridge, I will have to get splitters etc etc... Is it really worth it?

I am probably going to drink the ones from the keg quickly as they will be taken to party / friends etc.

Thanks

When pressure filling, if there is residual O2 in the bottle, you have the chance that once you pressurize that you'll be pushing O2 into suspension in the beer
flushing the O2 out with CO2 removes this risk

I am just wanting to fill from the Keg with pressure filler gun, is that pressure filling? - I have see stuff about carbonation caps, that is pressure filling?
I mean just filling the bottle as you would from fermenter... ? cheers

it is to flush O2 like sp0rk said.

Filling a bottle from a fermenter is different as you add extra sugar to kick the yeast off again who create CO2, and consume O2 (hence the need to oxygenate wort prior to pitching). Pouring in an un-purged bottle leads to oxidation risk.

Using a carb cap is counter pressure filling, you are creating less pressure in the bottle compared to the keg and transferring without O2 contact.

You can also use vacuum to suck the air out.

Trustyrusty said:
To fit extra pipe of gun is a pain if I also want to use gun in fridge, I will have to get splitters etc etc... Is it really worth it?

I am probably going to drink the ones from the keg quickly as they will be taken to party / friends etc.

Thanks
For the set up I have put a carb cap on the gas line which means I don't have to run a dedicated line I can just us the ones on the kegs.

If you are going to a party or drinking within the week I just fill from the tap (add a bit of tubing to fill from the bottom) like what they do with growlers.

I have only used the bottle filling gun with CO2 when storing for some time (sending keg conditioned beers off to comps etc).

Latest posts

Back