Why Do Kit Brewers Try To Emulate Brewery Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a feeling that this would open up an in depth debate and I think Gavo and chappo have the best grounding so far of what I am trying to say, will be good to see what becomes of this over the next while.

Troll Horn, Troll Horn,

Just looking to stir the pot. IMHO :super:

Brew what you like. If you like LCPA why not try to emulate it. Cannot see any problem with that.

I am not a beer snob got some cans of VB sitting in the fridge here.

( No comments needed ). :ph34r:

95% of recipes listed are for "Clones" whether they are better or worse than the commercial counterpart is neither here nor there.

Don't feed the trolls forum trolls

On the one hand I'm curious as to why it would be so confusing that new brewers start with an idea tha they might be able to make economic, easy versions of their favourite kits. Sure extract and grain brewing give better results but everybody starts somewhere. I know I did and I haven't stopped.

On the other hand, I want to know if those who defend that beginning point (which we've all been at) have ever been guilty of advising someone wanting to make a tooheys dry clone to mix 1 part cat's piss with two parts bleach and ferment in 70 deg oven for 2 days.

You're called Tom, you're into Scientology, and brewing and I claim my $5 worth of PVC hose...

& what's wrong with trying to make a Timothy Taylor Landlord (better)?

On the one hand I'm curious as to why it would be so confusing that new brewers start with an idea tha they might be able to make economic, easy versions of their favourite kits. Sure extract and grain brewing give better results but everybody starts somewhere. I know I did and I haven't stopped.

On the other hand, I want to know if those who defend that beginning point (which we've all been at) have ever been guilty of advising someone wanting to make a tooheys dry clone to mix 1 part cat's piss with two parts bleach and ferment in 70 deg oven for 2 days.

nice call manticle

Simple answer is type "clone" into the search engine.... heaps of pages huh? Lots and lots of them :eek:

Of course we all start out wanting to clone a commercial beer and I see nothing wrong with it.

Chappo ;)

:icon_offtopic: Yeh all but a few of the best muso's are dead drugs/alcohol.PF still rocken.Sorry for the younger crowd thats Pink Floyd.Wish you were here.
GB

shame Nick Mason died about 6 months ago of cancer. REST IN PEACE NICK I too am a fan

Wow, the posts are flying thick and fast!

I know what you're saying masculator002, but as others have said, n00bs brew to make commercial clones because thats what they know, thats what they think beer should taste like and they don't know any better. For me at least, half the fun of home brewing is experimenting and trying different styles, flavours, hops, malts and methods and seeing how I go. Most of them are pretty decent now, some have been brilliant and a couple have been pretty ordinary. Apart from the old Corona clone to please the crowds, I don't know if I've brewed many beers more than once.

Why does it bother you so much what other people are brewing and drinking? Live and let live I say.

I only started brewing 6 months ago, If I had 18 years experience like you then sure I would be creative and make my own recipes based on what I like. But it's a very steep learning curve when you're a newbie. I had NFI what hops, steeping grains, malts etc did to a beer a few months back, all I knew was what commercial brews I liked and so I wanted to make something half as good as those. If it was even better, well then that'd be a bonus.

I guess all you can do is encourage people to master the art and, when they're confident and ready, make the progress to the next step ie: k&k > extract > partial > ag.

no need to lambast them or scorn at them for wanting to reproduce what they like, it's all about baby steps in my opinion :)

-my 2c

I'd wager that you would be in the minority.

The vast majority of new brewers on this forum would be people who have just acquired a homebrew kit and want to know what the hell to do with it.

As for extract brewing, its not new. Your essay reads as though as its the latest and greatest trend in homebrewing.....

not trying to make it out as the newest and greatest smurto just trying to encourage some of the newer brewers to think outside thi box and try to create what they desire/imagine to be their desired beer.

Anyone got an AG clone for the Non alcoholic Export Light you could buy from Bilo in the 80's????

Been tryin and I'll be F@#$ed if I can replicate it

shame Nick Mason died about 6 months ago of cancer. REST IN PEACE NICK I too am a fan

Maybe OT but further along that analogy,

We all played wish you were hear before writing our own song, did Dave Gilmour learn someone else's songs before he wrote wish you here? I would be betting yes!

Influence leads you, same goes with all hobbies I would think.... So wouldn't trying to 'clone' a beer lead you to making your own in the end? What kind of beer would you brew if you had no reference point for it... maybe the best, then again maybe not...

FLAME SUIT ON LADIES!

Guilty as charged officer! Sure disguised behind some humour but I certainly have. Was it wrong? Yes. Would I do it again? Maybe? Having care in making a clone is a demonstration of your understanding of this craft. It's that bloody simple. I was there not too long ago but I researched and looked for answers first. Blantantly jumping on this forum and having no regard for the craft and asking for a clone recipe rips my knickers. What's the point if you don't have even the simple things down pat like temp control? So I avoid those these days. Don't get me wrong I'm happy to jump in and give advice where I can but sometimes there some that need to fail first to learn.

Chappo

Latest posts

Back