Why Do Kit Brewers Try To Emulate Brewery Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masculator002

Reaction score
I cannot understand why kit brewers try to emulate brewery beers I.E. little creatures pale, james squires amber etc. The only way for a kit brewer to even get close to these truly is by ditching the kit. Kit beers are hopped malt extract, most commercial breweries and manufacturers of kits use pride of ringwood hops, at THEIR set rates to produce something which is going to be brown and bitter. Granted some are browner and more bitter than others but how many of you can tell me exactly how many grams of hops were used to make that can of home brew extract? Granted different yeasts make different flavours appear as do different fermentation times. but you are still relying on coopers, wander or if you are really taking a gamble fosters group with their cascade kits, to give you something which will be consistent (or in the cascade case "uninfected".) Also granted, many of us cannot afford either the time involved, or the setup cost to go to all grain brewing, or have the knowledge of which hops and grains to use. However there is an intermediary which will save some of the labour of all grain and give a much greater amount of control than kit brewing, which takes little more effort than kit brewing.

This is the true world of EXTRACT BREWING.

In your home brew shops you will see near the cans of kit beers UNHOPPED malt extract and dry malt extract, all of which are available in different grades. i.e. light, wheat, amber, dark. you will also see in your supermarket next to the honey an extract called saunders malt extract (I will use this in an example later) and in all decent homebrew shops you will see sachets of hops. These are all you need to produce a beer far and away better than any kit could possibly produce. Plus you will be following the german purity law! For those who don't know it, beer is only to contain malt, hops, yeast and water.

This brings me back a couple of years or more to my first experience of brewing kit beers without using a kit to do it. To my knowledge some of my recipes are still on the website of aussiehomebrewing (this is not a typo it is a site but not this site.) (look it up and say gday to les for me.) Any way back to the topic. I had been brewing kit beers again after taking a few year hyatus due to travelling and such, and was missing the quality and control I had seen with brewing all grain for many a year prior to the aforementioned. Not to mention the fact that I had spent $400 plus on cascade kits brewed with good quality malt extracts, which were good for nothing more than pouring on the garden. (this led to many debates between myself and fosters group during which Garibaldi smallgoods was mentioned more than once.) but to cut a long story short I thought I would search for a decent UNHOPPED malt extract locally available, as the nearest homebrew shop is about 1 to 1 and a quarter hours away, I found SAUNDERS!!!! My first brew with it was a bit of trial and error I had a few different hops which I had been using as additions to kits, and a few good yeasts including us56 now called us 05, and s23 and w34/70, I also had the knowledge of several years of all grain brewing to know roughly how much hops to use in a 19 litre brew (there are reasons for this size brew which I will leave you to discover.) any hows one of my first brews was a light mead ale (Pretty much half saunders malt, half honey, some saaz and some cascade, us 56 yeast 18 litres total volume) and it was kick ass in comparison to any kit beer I have ever produced. I had not tried to emulate anything I had ever tried on the shelf and in all honesty it was better than any beer I had had off the shelf (and even the connoiseurial mates I have consider me more of a connoiseur than they would ever be.) It was all bar as good as brewing all grain, and it had taken about 15 or 20 minutes longer than brewing a kit. The hour spent boiling the hops in a three stage boil allowed sufficient time so that when the hops were ready I had sterilised the fermenter, had the malt extract ready and warmed for pouring, yeast ready for pitching and it was all simple.

I now compare commercial beers as being a cheap/expensive immitation of what I brew. I.E. fat yak or moobrew pale ale was about 3 years behind when I had done some thing very similar but they still weren't quite as good as my APA, what I am trying to say is get out there do a bit of research and brew something of your own because you can brew easliy better than what you can buy, and better than what a kit can give you

If i wasnt trying to find a clone recipe for JSGA as a kit brewer i would never have found brewing forums on the internet and very likely never moved to AG.

I think its how most, if not all kit brewers start.

i think its great they jump on here for advice as to how to improve their 'clone' beers. Its usually the first step in a slippery slope. :lol:

If all you know is mainstream beer, how are you meant to know that you can brew something better?

for me, attempting clones of commercial beers is a way of improving my early skills as a brewer, because i have a goal to aim for and i can compare the end result to the original. This allows me to make changes and experiment with my technique while i still figure out what extract does what and which method results in which flavours

Can't decide whether the OP is a rant or manifesto.... :p

Fair call about the possibilities opened up by working with unhopped extracts. I do think kits very much have their place, though. I brew using extracts. Sometimes they're bittered, sometimes they're not. To me, they're both just ingredients. To someone who goes beyond the straight K&K option, a kit is basically just a more complicated version of an unhopped extract. "Pimping" a kit is a convenient way of creating a more complex brew.

A simple extract brew could contain, say, 3kg of amber lme and a several hop additions to X IBU. If you replace some extract with a hopped kit you:
1. save money because you don't need to use hops for bitterness
2. add a complexity to the flavour of your brew that you couldn't do so simply with hops and extract alone

I'm not arguing in favour of or against kits, but I would say they have their place for more advanced extract brewers. You just have to know how to use them. ;)

Interesting part for me was that I had little experience with anything other than megabrews, you know the common ones. I went of the recipe DB and made mods from reading hop descriptions etc. Just last week I finally had a chance to get a few singles which included Wicked Elf PA, Little Creatures PA, Murrays Nervarna PA and a couple of others. What I found was that I was brewing what I liked better than these samples. Sure try to emulate commercial beers but as DrSmurto said, this can and most likely will be the beginning of the slippery slope that HB has to offer.

Cheers
Gavo.

If i wasnt trying to find a clone recipe for JSGA as a kit brewer i would never have found brewing forums on the internet and very likely never moved to AG.

I think its how most, if not all kit brewers start.

i think its great they jump on here for advice as to how to improve their 'clone' beers. Its usually the first step in a slippery slope. :lol:

good point, however I had been brewing for 18 years before I found this site and had done at least 6 years of that all grain brewing. What I am trying to show with this post is that there is an intermediary step where people can have their own input into what the outcome will be and yeah fair enough they want to produce something of a similar style to xxxx, vb, squires amber, bombardier or what ever, but they can do it and take ownership of the beer they have produced without it becoming just another "clone" of something which can be bought off of the shelf, and get a bit dissapointed when it doesn't come out tasting exactly right. If I WANTED to drink moo brews dollar a sip stout I would go and buy it, but I can brew something similar with far more control and refine it more to my tastes quite simply at home and far easier than trying to start with a BREW KIT. I agree that the recipe db is a great place to start to get ideas as to what will work and what wont, as do the hop and yeast listings on the craft brewer website, And yes I agree that it is great that they jump on here for advice and this is what I am trying to give.

I dont think there is any real mystery as to why kit brewers want to emulate commercial products.

Incipient brewer though process "I like to drink X beer. X beer costs $40 a carton. X beer costs too much. Homebrew can make 2.5 cartons for $30. I like to drink X beer. I want to make home brew that tastes like X beer".

Hopefully, although not always, we outgrow that.

And your point is?

ROFL! :lol:

Because if they didn't lie like a dead snake you wouldn't get sucked in OP. No offence but I reckon 99.9% of us start our trying to replicate a commercial beer. But then you discover aroma, flavour and taste and the whole world of beer turns on it's head for you so it ain't that bad.... is it? ;)

Chap Chap

A reference point is a good thing when you start brewing.It helps you to define where you are heading.So it a good thing to try to replicate, even if its VB.As your taste experiences grow you will try to replicate more complex beers.You cant master the good beers with out the experience of less complicated brews..I once thought Corona was easy to reproduce,I was wrong. I still cant get it right! Looks simple but its not.I am talking AG but I think the question/answer is relevant.
GB

I cannot understand why kit brewers try to emulate brewery beers I.E. little creatures pale, james squires amber etc.

Simple, kit brewers are new brewers, they have discovered home brewing and want to make their favourite commercial beers at home.

Many of us have gone on to discover beers other than the megaswill we used to drink before we were enlightened, now many of us have a desire to make those beers. The popularity of publications such as 150 Classic Clone Recipes attest to this as do many podcasts such as Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmers "Can You Brew It" where the challenge is to clone a commercial beer. Kit, K&K, Extract, Partial or Ag we all strive to produce a beer that we have tasted previously, even the BJCP guidelines attest to this, on a broader scale we want to emulate beer styles.

Screwy

And now the trick is to try and brew a style that the average Joe/Visitor will like and be better than the mainstream commercial offerings.

Gavo.

Simple, kit brewers are new brewers, they have discovered home brewing and want to make their favourite commercial beers at home.

Many of us have gone on to discover beers other than the megaswill we used to drink before we were enlightened, now many of us have a desire to make those beers. The popularity of publications such as 150 Classic Clone Recipes attest to this as do many podcasts such as Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmers "Can You Brew It" where the challenge is to clone a commercial beer. Kit, K&K, Extract, Partial or Ag we all strive to produce a beer that we have tasted previously, even the BJCP guidelines attest to this, on a broader scale we want to emulate beer styles.

Screwy
Dam it.I have to agree with you.
GB

good point, however I had been brewing for 18 years before I found this site and had done at least 6 years of that all grain brewing. What I am trying to show with this post is that there is an intermediary step where people can have their own input into what the outcome will be and yeah fair enough they want to produce something of a similar style to xxxx, vb, squires amber, bombardier or what ever, but they can do it and take ownership of the beer they have produced without it becoming just another "clone" of something which can be bought off of the shelf, and get a bit dissapointed when it doesn't come out tasting exactly right. If I WANTED to drink moo brews dollar a sip stout I would go and buy it, but I can brew something similar with far more control and refine it more to my tastes quite simply at home and far easier than trying to start with a BREW KIT. I agree that the recipe db is a great place to start to get ideas as to what will work and what wont, as do the hop and yeast listings on the craft brewer website, And yes I agree that it is great that they jump on here for advice and this is what I am trying to give.

I'd wager that you would be in the minority.

The vast majority of new brewers on this forum would be people who have just acquired a homebrew kit and want to know what the hell to do with it.

As for extract brewing, its not new. Your essay reads as though as its the latest and greatest trend in homebrewing.....

indeed

myself i only discovered a world beyond K&K recently and this site has helped open my eyes to a whole new world. if i find a beer i like i try to get a similar recipe to learn what ingredients create what taste then once i know that i can experiment and create my own recipes without as ret of a risk of having a complete disaster

the unfortunate thing is many people on the forum forget that brewing isnt a dash race to the finish line, i have lost track of how many brewers have asked when im going to give up kits and bits and extracts and do all grain, answer is, when im bloody well good and ready, in my own time. if kit brewers want to copy known beers then good on them, you dont have to drink it but let them do as they wish

i agree with the rant, do your own thing and find your own style but ya gotta learn the foundations first and some people do that by trying to emulate known beers.

think of your favourite musicians, do you think they never played cover songs or tried to emulate their musical heroes sound before finding there own and creating something new?

cheers
carty

Back