Who Ferments In The Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAUOMBO

Reaction score
no transferring. just ferment, carbonate, chill and drink?

MAUOMBO

I thought of that as well...

for me its like the same reason I don't eat out of saucpans or cook on my plates...

be ok if your trying to brew a VB style.... yuk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can't be serious?

QldKev

had a friend come over for a BBQ last weekend who reckons he knows a guy whos been doing it for years, I think he must pour off the first litre or so...

MAUOMBO

Whats the point? Seriously it saves the washing of one vessel - big deal.

I have heard of some people in the states fermenting in the keg.. Not sure if it was primary or secondary though.

Either way the kegs need to modified so that the CO2 can escape and doesn't end up carbonating the beer before the yeast are finished, as they don't like working under pressure.

It is not used as a serving keg though, the beer is transferred to another keg for serving.

Surely the yeast cake would be a good reason to not do this. I get 3-4 cups of slurry in my fermenter, and I honestly wouldn't want to drink that :icon_vomit:
Plus, surely the krausen ring would dry off and go all gunky.

What advantages - save the minimal time it takes to rack from a fermenter to a keg, and the minimal saving on not buying a fermenter - would this provide? Cleaning one less vessel? Not to mention you're using up a perfectly good keg for the week-or-so it's fermenting.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I have doubts over the effect of 'head pressure' on fermentation, but that was for the very minimal pressure you get from an airlock. Unless you go the glad-wrap method for fermenting (nothing wrong with that, but your 'keg' is now just a cylinder with glad-wrap over the top) you'll build up a reasonable pressure in there, even if you burp it regularly.

Summary: You could carb up and serve from the cheaper plastic fermenter, but I wouldn't recommend it.

There was a BYO article a few months ago, that showed converting a corny into a nice 19ltr fermentation vessel. But the resulting beer was then transferred out for carbonation and drinking.

:icon_cheers: SJ

Summary: You could carb up and serve from the cheaper plastic fermenter, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Plastic cask-like pressure vessels are commonly used in the UK by homebrewers who ferment and serve from the same vessel.

I don't think it's the ideal solution, but so long as it's kept cooled after fermentation I don't see a huge problem?

There was a BYO article a few months ago, that showed converting a corny into a nice 19ltr fermentation vessel. But the resulting beer was then transferred out for carbonation and drinking.

:icon_cheers: SJ

Yeah, read that one. The idea was also that you could use the disconnects for transferring to prevent oxidation. The article really didn't convince me very much, though it was interesting.

I always ferment in a keg, a modified 50L keg. Once its done its chilled for a week and then I rack the clear beer off of it into 2 corny kegs.

PistolPatch was obsessed with this concept a couple of years ago. It was around the time he quit the forum, I remember being emailed a whole lot of info about it, but can't remember the details. Really, you are only reducing the cleaning chores in the short term. After two or three batches of fermenting in a Corny keg there would be some major cleaning and unblocking to be done I imagine...

Back