Who Can Identify This Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbock

Braugesell
Reaction score
Hi

A mate found some of these kegs in a skip bin still gassed up (but the beer was off.. :( )

I have never seen one like them, but they look like a neat little unit for homebrewing if the coupler was available.
Probably holds about 9 or 10L, with a mini Sanke-style fitting on the top.

Does anyone know what these style of kegs are used for and is there a possibility of reusing them?

DSC00063.jpg

DSC00062.jpg

So are they intended to be used once only? I imagine someone would want them back, they are well made little things.

Just found an old post about them Brewtique thread from 2005. Looks like something pricey that never really took off.

Zierholz Brewery in Canberra uses them on a daily basis. They are quite expensive to buy, but they don't charge a deposit. If you could get it to Canberra, I'm sure they would give you a decent price for it.

So are they intended to be used once only? I imagine someone would want them back, they are well made little things.

They're reusable, but you need to work out how to both charge them up with gas and dispense too. Best off trying to return it to someone who'll take it.

Are Brewtique still around? I thought their whole business model collapsed when the ATO ruled that because they were transferring from kegs larger than 48 litres to ones that were smaller, they were 'remanufacturing' for the purposes of Excise and would need to 1. get a manufacturer's licence and 2. pay excise again and 3. at the small pack rate. Nobody would pay $100 for a 10 litre keg.

Northern Rivers micro use these too.

I think they're worth a fair amount of money, something like $300 or more. The couplers and taps cost a bit too. They look really awesome though, would make the perfect party keg with their integrated gas but the extras cost a bit of money.

Mike is still around, he has been building and installing breweries around Aust/Asia Pac.

Contact number for him is 0419 625 447

Scotty

Blackbok..

A fella...In Bomo stones throw from you may have dispensors for these
Ring or PM me
Poppa Joe

The Lord Nelson has them as well.

Yes they are reusable, but as they have their own gas tank inside, you do need special equipment to refill them.

You would need to get some advice on opening it from the manufacturer to be safe (due to the in-built gas-bottle feature)- but looks like it would need a tooheys/coopers style opening tool to get it open neatly so you could pour the nasty beer out, give it a clean and re-use.

These tools are available here: (also might find on ebay)
Keg opening tools and parts

As said - check with the manufacturer first before cracking it open. In a normal situation you'd de-pressurise the keg (by simply placing a screwdriver or pliers over the ball/disc in the centre of the keg attachment and expelling the gas prior to opening), but with an in-built gas bottle - that's a whole different kettle of fish and you'd want to tread carefully. Never open a pressurised sankey keg without expelling gas first - keg spears can fly like a javelin, and don't look too good hanging out of your head!

Hopper.

Back