White Labs Yeast - 833 Or 830 Or 800? Advice?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rendo

WTF
Reaction score
Hi All,

Going to brew a light golden coloured German/Austrian Lager. Kinda like Bitburger beer.

I am stuck (pardon the pun) on what yeast to use. I am almost certain to use the White Labs German Bock Lager WLP833, but I am thinking maybe going the German Lager Yeast WLP830 OR the Pilsner Yeast WLP800

Any advice on the yeast choice. I have never used liquid yeast before. Happy to make a starter if needed, but more so just want advice on which one to choose. (PS...I have a fermentation fridge, going to brew @ 11 deg)

Anyone used WLP833 for a light golden lager?? compared to 830 etc?

Adam

Hi All,

Going to brew a light golden coloured German/Austrian Lager. Kinda like Bitburger beer.

I am stuck (pardon the pun) on what yeast to use. I am almost certain to use the White Labs German Bock Lager WLP833, but I am thinking maybe going the German Lager Yeast WLP830 OR the Pilsner Yeast WLP800

Any advice on the yeast choice. I have never used liquid yeast before. Happy to make a starter if needed, but more so just want advice on which one to choose. (PS...I have a fermentation fridge, going to brew @ 11 deg)

Anyone used WLP833 for a light golden lager?? compared to 830 etc?

Adam

Made a great Helles using 830

Screwy

Thanks Screwy,

I think it was you who got me onto the 833 originally, but would you say that 830 is better for a 'helles' than using 833 then?

(the other thing is, does it really make that much difference or am I splitting hairs?)

rendo
:blink:
Made a great Helles using 830

Screwy

833 is not dry enough for a bitburger style use 830 or 800. 833 is still a good yeast though, I used it quite a bit better suited to maltier styles.

I prefer the German (and the southern German even more). The few beers that I brewed with the bock tasted a bit too dry even though the final gravities were AOK. Might be my process.

Just checked my records, used 833 in a couple of Bockbiers. Made Helles/Maibocks to build yeast for them.

Records show attenuation of 75%AA from 830 and 72%AA from 833 and a personal preference for 830 in the Helles.

Cheers,

Screwy

Cheers Screwy,

830 it is....jury has decided! Case closed. QED. Finito :)

I did some more reading and found quite a few US sites & they all said they prefer the 830 over the 833 for helles style, they 833 was a bit too malty and not quite as dry/crisp as the 830.

Given all that and the feedback here (thanks screwy,hockadays,barry) the 830 is the choice. I will be (attempting) to reuse this yeast too.

I am thinking should I
1. do the brew, then get the yeast and go from there as I have done many times before OR
2. should I make a 1-2L brew, capture the yeast and split up in bottles and use one of the bottles for the brew, as per: https://daveshomebrew.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=94&Itemid=48

pretty sure I will do method 1

Thanks again
Rendo!

Just checked my records, used 833 in a couple of Bockbiers. Made Helles/Maibocks to build yeast for them.

Records show attenuation of 75%AA from 830 and 72%AA from 833 and a personal preference for 830 in the Helles.

Cheers,

Screwy

I haven't used 830 but I have used 800 and as much as it may just be something I was doing wrong, I was not particularly happy with the results. Didn't find it crisp and clean enough fo my liking. Well worth giving the 830 a go,

Latest posts

Back