White Labs WLP059 Melbourne Ale yeast to be released

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just given a vial from a good mate. Of those who have brewed with this yeast what is the recommendation for the best style of beer to brew, I'd like to brew something that complements these yeast and does it justice

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Cheers
Carboy

An old school XXX Aussie Ale from the post war era would be the go.. six o'clock swill at the Exchange / Tatts / Royal / Station Hotel where Grand Pops drank when he was an apprentice loco driver and all that stuff.

4.5% ABV

Sulphates in water
Australian Base Malt 69 degree mash.
800g of sugar
Cluster single addition to 20 IBU
(or POR for a more modern example)

Ferment at 18, cold crash for a week.
Add a tsp of Parisian Essence for a bit of colour if you wish.

Learn how to do two up.

Just giving this yeast another thumbs up. I used it for an all grain Hoppy Ale. This yeast does have a tang. Its a complimentary tang IMO. Very happy with this green beer so far it should be great by crissy!.
40lt. 83% Brew House Efficiency. Esky Mash.
MO 90%
Wheat 8.4%
Acidulated 1.7%
Mashed for high body. 62c 20min, Decoctions to 69c over 40min let sit for another um? 60 minutes or something...
Batch Sparged. Long boil with small first wort addition: 10g Mosaic hops = 7.4 IBU. Adding batch sparges reboiling etc.
60g Chinook flowers 15m
40g Mosaic pellets at flame out ~20m
Chill to 70c
300g Cascade flowers. Deep whirl break up the flowers to mix it all up well and let sit for 30m at ~70c.
Chill down to pitch temp and pitch that good yeast and pressure ferment ~5-15psi at ~18c to finish at ~24psi at ~ 21c.

and then ....

OG = 1.054
FG = 1.014 (that is highest for me for pale ale but its good and may be more pleasing for regular people etc)
IBU = ~33.3 by my software and interpretations
EBC = ~ 10
ABV = 5.3%
Carbonation is around 2.0 at least in pressure ferment. I'd give it 2.2 as a green beer. Kegged at serving pressure (10-12 psi) is the polish over weeks etc.

Serve cold as beer should be in summer. ~4c. Or less if you can. :cool:

Melbourne Yeast? Locality? This is something of significance. A yeast that is favourable to the locality, maybe? That's the way of beer evolution through the history yes? Yeast evolution etc.
I you are to be of BJCP evolution then this definitely has significance. At least on the evolution of beer.

AusIPA with WLP059. It's bloody good.
20171129_092503.jpg

The provenance for Melbourne No. 1 is described in Bronzed Brews. Whilst I've also used it in an all grain brew, it does very nicely fermenting a high sucrose wort which is what it was bred to do. It could ferment up to 50% cane sugar without "weakening" and be repitched and became a common strain throughout at least Eastern Australia.

I'd bet my boots that some of the current Megabrewery Ale yeasts such as Tooheys Old are still cousins, nephews etc in this yeast family. Would love to get my hands on some.

Anyone in Melb consider donating a WLP059 yeast sample, frozen or other wise? Happy to repay a generous favour with a good deed in return.

Anyone in Melb consider donating a WLP059 yeast sample, frozen or other wise? Happy to repay a generous favour with a good deed in return.
Hi mate,

I have one unopened vial if you are interested. In south east.

Cheers

Damo

1894 Macclesfield XXXK.JPG
1894 Macclesfield XXXK.JPG
View attachment 108903

Added Biofine to the keg (10 g) & here's a pic of the first pint after dumping the sludge from my 1894 Macclesfield XXXK Pale Ale Clone (P.269). It's much clearer ATM thanks to the extra week or so since the pic was taken but can't be arsed doing another pic at present.
Must agree with Bribie about the cat piss reminiscent to VB, XXXX, etc.
Quite tasty though IMHO!

Still a bit of my 1894 Macclesfield XXXK Pale Ale Wannabe left in the keg. Dropped nice & clear a week after the above post.
This yeast is an excellent choice for chewing up sugaz. Multiple thanks to Peter, London Yeast Bank & White Labs.ITO. :bowdown:
Doing another recipe from Bronzed Brews early in the New Year.

Anyone else noticed the lack of head on their brews with WLP059? It even lacked on an all malt brew.

When I arrived in Australia in the 70s beer was served right up to the top of the glass with a slight slick of foam if that. Ripoff heads seemed to come in in the 90s.
Maybe a result of new big pubs with the beer pushed with nitro.

When I arrived in Australia in the 70s beer was served right up to the top of the glass with a slight slick of foam if that. Ripoff heads seemed to come in in the 90s.
Maybe a result of new big pubs with the beer pushed with nitro.

True Bribie, too much head and not enough beer in the glass....barman going to be told.

Anyone else noticed the lack of head on their brews with WLP059? It even lacked on an all malt brew.
Not on mine. Its a good frothy like any all malt beers I've made and mine had ~20% Raw Sugar and ~9% Flaked maize. Finished at 1.007.
Excellent head and retention too. Mine took a month cold chilling to finally clear though, it was a hazy beer for 3 weeks on tap.
I've now got a hop bomb all malt brew with the wlp059 and good head and retention on that too although it did finish at 1.013.

Not on the Crystal Ale and White Horse PA that I have done so far both with a fair amount of sugar .
P

Back