White Labs WLP059 Melbourne Ale yeast to be released

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is some beautiful Krausen you have going there P. I'll spin this yeast up in a few weeks soon as I have drained some kegs.

Amazing yeast, the only one I have ever had that has crawled out the top of the erlenmeyer flask.

I add sugar to the boil and 059 seems happy 24 hours in
23551129_10214909431954506_659844332889442780_o.jpg

P
That looks amazing! Never seen a Krausen like that before.

That looks amazing! Never seen a Krausen like that before.
And I've found that at the end of fermentation it rises to the top of the brew and forms a solid raft of peanut butter.
It has to be son of son of son of Burton Union or whatever came over in barrels and bottles from the Old Dart earlier in the 19th Century.

My Rezza Bitter.
I must admit, I'm pretty impressed. Only 10 days in the bottle, so a little more to go carbonation wise.
Aroma is "beery" but with a light floral candy element - funnily enough an element I've been (unsuccessfully) trying to create in my Old Speckled Hen clone. Flavour similar, initial sweetness that fades rapidly to a mild dry finish.
No twang.
******* tasty.

IMG_5121.jpg

Goes really well with curry puffs and the Women's T20 international.

44% Ale, 40% Pils, 1% Choc, 11% white sugar, 1% dark brown sugar.
15g PoR + 5g EKG @FWH
5g PoR + 10g EKG @ 20mins (cubed)
059 @19-20*C

Definitely shouldn't have entered this into the Vic Xmas Case Swap

EDIT: fwiw, I think the main contributor to the floral Candi/nectar element is the late EKG addition. Though i suspect the 059 has helped bring it out nicely, given its only 10g.
However, I could be wrong - maybe it's all yeast derived. In which case I'll definitely be brewing a lot more with 059! [emoji1]

Last edited:
Mine wont clear :(. Questioning as to why. Maybe the flaked maize? Anyway it doesn't matter because its good. An interesting unique beer for me. My first attempt in this league. I followed the recipe as best as can but got higher efficiency and these are the variables.
Tooths 1917 White Horse Ale.
Anticipated OG = 1.048. Mine was 1.051
Anticipated FG = 1.008. Mine was 1.007
Anticipated EBC = 18. Mine is ~9 by my eye
Anticipated IBU = 42. Mine feels to me more like um 30? Did the age degradation on hop AA calcs and everything....
Anticipated ABV ~5.2%. Mine 5.8%.

I did cube this though and that's the significant variable to be fair. I added the sugar to the cubes before filling 95c wort. I took 15 minutes off the hop times.

In the end? Well I think its so different and interesting that Its a ripper really. Tangy and refreshing, sessionable but watch out its 5.8% etc. Cidery but in a good way. I've shunned the idea of cidery beer but make an exception for this one. New flavours to me the yeast, flaked corn and sugar. No hoppyness. Its not dry at all. More sweat and with body believe it or not. I froze some yeast for the first time but hope to see it as a regular go to yeast option.

Good yeast. :cool:

Last edited:
mine has stalled at 1.011, est 1.008. Has been at 1.011 for 2 days (day 8 to 10) at 22C. should I wait it out or is it terminal? It tastes bloody good either way.

recipe had 19% sugar, which I added during the boil, but have read here that some are adding it to the fermenter.

Just a heads up: anyone seeking to purchase Bronzed Brews or 6 O'clock Brews, Lulu is currently offering a 10% discount + free shipping. Use coupon code BOOKSHIP17. Ends 20 Nov.

Now, to get hold of some WLP059...

Anybody round this way got some 059 they can spare?

Is this yeast going to be released again or was that just a one off?
I have a few vials of it here mate.

Batz

mine has stalled at 1.011, est 1.008. Has been at 1.011 for 2 days (day 8 to 10) at 22C. should I wait it out or is it terminal? It tastes bloody good either way.

recipe had 19% sugar, which I added during the boil, but have read here that some are adding it to the fermenter.
Same as what mine got to.

Unfortunately while I was away, the sticky tape came off the light in my fermenting fridge (it's always on due to some shelves being out) so the light has been on while it was fermenting. Tastes/smells a bit funny, but hoping it turns good once it's cold and carbonated.

If it is ready by Friday, I will try to bring some (with a carb cap) to the case swap to see what others think... Not sure if it's just that it is a different beer, or if there is something wrong with it.

In the meantime that fkn light is unscrewed. Really should have done that as the first option...

i harvested an extra 100m cells to what was required, planning to build a little farm of this so I don't run out

What have you Beer Smith guys done when building a brew with this yeast?
I couldn't find it in the listing.
Using it in an all grain English Porter

Based on a couple of brews I've done so far and measured with hydrometer for FG, I've set attenuation to 83.0 in BrewMate.

QLD case swap next weekend, a couple of us are putting in Bronzed Brews with 059 if anyone wants to reculture. However you'll need a stir plate as theres SFA bottle sediment with this stuff.

Based on a couple of brews I've done so far and measured with hydrometer for FG, I've set attenuation to 83.0 in BrewMate.

QLD case swap next weekend, a couple of us are putting in Bronzed Brews with 059 if anyone wants to reculture. However you'll need a stir plate as theres SFA bottle sediment with this stuff.
Can echo sentiment after just finishing the bottling of this stuff. It really dropped out. I hope there is enough to bottle condition this in a decent time.
Guess I'll see.

Can echo sentiment after just finishing the bottling of this stuff. It really dropped out. I hope there is enough to bottle condition this in a decent time.
Guess I'll see.

Yeah, after having tried a drop of the 1917 XXX a bloke did, real keen to try these two beers you blokes have got. A lovely drop.

Yeah, after having tried a drop of the 1917 XXX a bloke did, real keen to try these two beers you blokes have got. A lovely drop.
Yeah it tasted alright today with the left overs that didn't go into the 30 bottles. Can't wait to see after its conditioned a bit.

Back