Whirlpooling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banora brewer

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Just brewed my 5th all grain, after whirlpooling i have never got a 'cone' at the end, it always seems to be just slush, any tips for next time? My process is after flame out, start stiring clockwise then let sit for 10 mins.

Thanks

I've tried twice, once with using a mash baddle (big SS spoon) to turn the wort and I got a cone.. I didn't let it sit long enough and it fell apart.. next is with my new Immersion chiller with whirlpool function and let it whirlpool for 10mins let sit for 10mins.. got a nice cone....

with the mash baddle method I had to get it turning quickly without splashing.. felt like my arm was about to fall off.

I don't get a cone. I assumed my heating element at the bottom could be affecting it ?

I was going to make one of those drill attachments that thirstyboy had to see what happened then.

This would bring me to another Q, if I use a Hop Sock (nice and loose) will this remove a lot of trub ?

What do you use for your brew kettle?
The shape/size and anything you have in the bottom (tap/pickup etc) could all have an impact on your whirlpooling results.

I know nothing about whirlpooling...but wouldn't you do it anti-clockwise in Australia?

What do you use for your brew kettle?
The shape/size and anything you have in the bottom (tap/pickup etc) could all have an impact on your whirlpooling results.

I have got a 60 ltr pot with a copper pick up

I am a urn with an element (Rod Type) down the bottom.

I'm sure in my case the tap prevents the wort whirlpooling smoothly enough to form a peak.
I don't achieve much of one either.

I'm looking at a hop sock. Mrs warra bought the appropriate swiss voile recently. Just need to sit her down to sew it up for me.

I don't get a cone but the trub is pulled off the edge of the kettle enough to ensure I get (mostly) clear wort through the copper pickup which is hard up against the edge of the kettle. Generally works OK, kettle finings help it stay settled as well.

Smartarses everywhere :D

Just trying to contribute...I wasn't suggesting this was the problem, just that in the southern hemisphere it would make more sense to go anticlockwise.

Just trying to contribute...I wasn't suggesting this was the problem, just that in the southern hemisphere it would make more sense to go anticlockwise.

It's been a long time since I've had a bath (I do have showers), so can't remember which way it whirlpools in the Southern Hemisphere. I do know it's opposite to the Northern Hemisphere.

Because I'm right handed, it's just been natural to stir it clockwise, but I'll try it anti-clockwise next Tuesday, brewday for my first IPA.

What would happen at the equator. And......if we stir clockwise it should take forever to stop right............ :lol:

Sorry, not ridiculing you mate, was just to good to let go. Really a force of one rotation per day (Coriolis Force) is unlikely to affect such a short term effect as whirlpooling wort over 20 min. Anyway, there is nothing different between hemispheres really as the earth spins counter-clockwise in the northern hemisphere, and clockwise in the southern hemisphere so in reality (from an observation point in the universe) the spinning is in the same direction.

Fun stuff eh!!

Screwy

I use a Birko Urn with exposed element, a hopsock, and never whirlpool. I just let it sit with the lid on for 20 minutes, pour off a glass of murky wort then the rest flows crystal clear. If there is a bit of excess wort (I no chill and occasionally get a litre extra over and above the 23L for the cube) then I run that off first into a Schott Bottle and cool it down overnight then drain the clear stuff off to use in yeast starter. It occurs to me that tilting the urn back a tad by 'chocking up' the front of the urn where the tap is might give clear runnings from the beginning, might try that next brew.

Screwy...furry muff...I was just pointing out the obvious is all. No need to fight nature when you can have it work for you.

I use a Birko Urn with exposed element, a hopsock, and never whirlpool. I just let it sit with the lid on for 20 minutes, pour off a glass of murky wort then the rest flows crystal clear. If there is a bit of excess wort (I no chill and occasionally get a litre extra over and above the 23L for the cube) then I run that off first into a Schott Bottle and cool it down overnight then drain the clear stuff off to use in yeast starter. It occurs to me that tilting the urn back a tad by 'chocking up' the front of the urn where the tap is might give clear runnings from the beginning, might try that next brew.

See I chock up the back of my Birko with a brick to have it leaning forward, at the end I whirlpool for about 5min with the ole Coopers spoon, then let it sit for 10. Then drain into a cube and im left with less than a litre of murky poo in the botttom, that gets tipped onto the pavers...

What size schotts. And what do you use for starters?

What size schotts. And what do you use for starters?
Probably these ones, the 1000ml Schotts are quite useful, so are even bigger ones. Any sturdy and boilable glass container should suffice, the Schotts are borosilicate glass and designed for repeated heating and cooling shocks whereas domestic glass containers just aren't up to that (they'll just crack).

That gallery is quite dated now and I should update it to include liquid yeast and starters, but you should get the idea.

Latest posts

Back