Whirlfloc Tablet for 10 Litre Batch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathewsbrew

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to do a 10litre batch of all grain to mess around with. Normally I would use 1 tablet for 18litre batches.

Would I need to cut the whirfloc in half or just chuck it in?

thanks

Mathewsbrew said:
Hi all,

I'm going to do a 10litre batch of all grain to mess around with. Normally I would use 1 tablet for 18litre batches.

Would I need to cut the whirfloc in half or just chuck it in?

thanks
I only use half a tablet for a c. 23 litres batch and that seems to work okay so I'd reckon half a tablet ought to be plenty for 10 litres.

Cheers

ToG

TunofGrunt said:
I only use half a tablet for a c. 23 litres batch and that seems to work okay so I'd reckon half a tablet ought to be plenty for 10 litres.

Cheers

ToG
Thanks for that. I'll use half and see what happens

I use 1/2 for 20-ish final. Too much has a negative effect so 1/4 for 10L

People have been asking this same question longer than I have been on AHB, as is often the case in brewing there isn't a single "RIGHT" answer, it is always going to depend on a bunch of variables.
The following is produced by KOPPAKLEER TABLETS one of the many makers of competing products, this one publishes a pretty good info and how to use sheet, might be worth taking 5 minutes to read it.
View attachment KOPPAKLEER TABLETS.pdf
Mark

Whirlfloc's own specs recommend 20-60ppm, 10 mins from the end of the boil.

So minimum (20ppm) for all grain batch would be 2g whirlfloc per 100L of wort ---> ~0.4g for a 20L batch.
60ppm 6g/100L = 1.2g/20L

A single tablet weighs ~2.5g, so half of a tablet in a 20L batch would be right on the upper recommended amount, with ~1/6 of a tab being on the lower end.

Regarding Mathewsbrew's question, anywhere from 1/12-1/4 of a tab will be within the recommended ranges of usage....if you can be fucked measuring it that finely :lol:

How do you guys successfully cut a whirlfloc tablet in half without it ending up a crumbled mess?
I must admit I have only tried once.

Depends on brand, I think. One lot of Whirlfloc tabs I had were easily split (they were molded with a crease for this purpose), but other lots crumbled when I tried to split them in half.

Just score it with a sharp knife slightly then split with your fingers. Mine only crumble when the score is too deep.

I use a serrated knife - makes a bit of dust, but no crumbling.

I've become lazy and have started putting in a whole tab in a 23L batch. During this same time frame I've noticed that the amount of cold break material going into my fermenter has increased massively. Is there a correlation there?

EDIT: And should I worry about heaps of cold break being in my fermenter?

kaiserben said:
I've become lazy and have started putting in a whole tab in a 23L batch. During this same time frame I've noticed that the amount of cold break material going into my fermenter has increased massively. Is there a correlation there?

EDIT: And should I worry about heaps of cold break being in my fermenter?
Well since Whirlfloc is intended to *reduce* the crap getting into your fermenter, I'd say you should switch back to half-tabs regardless

I should probably also mention I use a counter flow chiller (wort leaves my kettle still quite hot, at 75-95C, and arrives in my fermenter at roughly 22-24C), so cold break is not being removed by my system.

Uh oh, looks like I've been overdosing with that. Pill cutter please.

Latest posts

Back