Recipe query ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer71

Reaction score
Hi all I'm back at brewing after a lengthy layoff I was going to try this recipe as a first up I was after some thoughts on it please,
I'll be doing a small batch a 5 litre BIAB recipe,
Hefeweizen,

375gms Pilsner grain
750gms Wheat grain
125gms Munich Light
125gms Vienna
WB-06
Hallertau Hops 15gms @ 60 mins

Would this be ok ?

Any help would be appreciated,
Adam.

Last edited:
Not sure what the large proportion of Wheat is for? Are you aiming for an American Wheat beer style?
If that's your aim, then I think it will turn out OK.
At only 5 litres, it's not too difficult to drink the result if it doesn't meet your expectations.
Good luck.

thanks Phil I changed it up abit now how does this one look with the added Munich I suppose I'm looking at a traditional German Wheat flavour.

It’s hard to go wrong with base malts, so that’s fine. But what is your predicted OG, fg and IBUs. Get those wrong and they can throw the beer out of balance…

Too be honest I have no idea on the predicted OG, fg and Ibu's

I'm sort of winging it, it will be 1st brew for a few years.

Is there any tweaks or alternate suggestions for this recipe or similar you can suggest for me ?
All help is appreciated.

If I put 15g as 1st wort hop in my 25 L batch it gives around 9 IBU which is towards the low end of the style, in 5 L it would be much to bitter for the style, probably 4 or maybe 5g would be enough.

There are some online brewing calculators, I use brewers friend which seems to work well, you can put recipe malts, hops yeast and water in and it gives a good indication of gravity, and bitterness

thanks but sorry I have no idea about using the calculator ?
I was going to use the 15gms hops after the brewing in the wort just for aroma maybe ?

Latest posts

Back