Which Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pistolpete01

Reaction score
G'day,

I have a very simple 50/50 wheat/pilsner wort with Saaz to 15IBU in a cube in the garage that I want to ferment with a heap of mango pulp for a matso's style easy drinker. I have four yeasts that I think could all work and I can't decide which one to use.

I have: 1214 Belgian Abbey
3944 Belgian Wit
3463 Forbidden fruit
3724 Belgian saison

I have never fermented with any of these yeasts before so I don't have any idea where to start!

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Pete

I've only used the 3724 and love saison, so I'd go that, do you have temp control? It finishes dry but can stall around 10.20. Needs a cuddle, stable warm temps.

I'd assume matzo's is is done with a clean ale yeast so you'll be doing something a lot fruitier with any of these yeasts.

Yep, I have temp control or I can ferment at ambient which is high 30's - low 40's which should give it a fair bit of character. I'm not sure if the mango would go a bit manky at those temps though, I suppose I could rack it onto the fruit and CC for a week after it has finished.

That's one vote for the 3724!

Cheers,
Pete

All of those yeasts will throw heaps of fruity, spicy esters at 20C+, although I'd not go above high 20s personally. At lower temps they're much more subdued, but that defeats the whole point of those yeasts. They're all very different, but the wyeast website info is usually a good starting point and a Google search will turn up a fair few opinions. I've used 1, 2 and 4 and I'd add my bye for the saison yeast. Doubt it will be either close to matso's or an easy drinker (assuming easy drinker means clean flavours), as its flavour profile is pretty complex

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to go with the 3724 Belgian Saison pitched at 18 and ramped up to ambient over a few days, then CC at 1*C for a week on 5kg of fresh mango pulp.

Cheers again,
Pete.

Good choice. I have a strong feeling that the other three will throw strong plummy character if allowed to approach ambient temp. I know, from experience, that WLP410 (Wit II) does.

Latest posts

Back