Which yeast for a stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopleaf

Reaction score
Hi all
I am doing a stout which is better yeast i have 1028 London ale and 1098 British ale.

This is the recipe

2kg Maris otter
1.5 jw pilsner
o.300g flaked oats
o.250g chocolate
o.250g roasted barley
o.150 jw crystal 120

Hops
22g challenger
Thanks Hopleaf

Why not both?

Split it in half & pitch with each, or make a double batch & pitch with each, or brew twice & pitch each one differently?

Try it & report back.

I try that and let you know the outcome
Sorry i meant split it in half and pitch with each

i would be interested to hear from your results. I would suggest 1028 for a higher gravity stout otherwise it would be much of a muchness. Roasted malts and a high IBU will overpower most esters IMO.

Original gravity 1.056 final gravity 1.014 generated with brewmate
32 ibu do you think the ibu is high

32 IBU for a stout isn't out of the ballpark, but you have to balance the bitterness from the hops with the perceived bitterness you'll get from your RB.

It all depends on what KIND of stout you're intending to make. At 1056, you're edging out of the standard dry Irish style & heading into Export territory.

Just give it a go. If you like it, well, it works/worked. After-all, it's YOUR beer!!

Since you've ventured into AG territory, this is all part of the experience.

Just play with it & have fun with the results.

w1728 Scottish. Excellent in stouts as it can handle high Alc% and like a cooler ferment so great for winter brewing

Will chalk that one up Stu. I just put down an oatmeal stout using 1098 due to local availability. Was keen to hear differences between it and 1028.
I've used 1187 previously for an oatmeal and 1084 on a dry stout. I fermented the 1187 a little warm (no temp control back then) and was a decent beer, but not great. The dry was much better technically but didn't suit my tastes as much as the oatmeal. I'll see if I can't provide feedback when it's all done.

I have just done the one stout with 1084, I found that it finished quiet high. On reflection I could have increased the temp more than I did, fermented at 18c for the whole fermentation.

Tahoose said:
I have just done the one stout with 1084, I found that it finished quiet high. On reflection I could have increased the temp more than I did, fermented at 18c for the whole fermentation.
Mate, that's pretty unusual for 1084! It's a veritable BEAST & I've had it chew-through a 1092 Porter/Scotch Ale even at 4C.

Underpitched? Aeration? Dunno, but it definitely sounds wrong for that strain.

Two stouts bubbling away at the moment, both using wlp023 (Burton). One has gone from 1.060 to 1.022, and other from 1.080 to 1.040 in four days at 20c. (~40 pts each)

Great yeast, I'm keen to give it a go in an English pale as well to see what it can do there.

According to Mr Malty WLP023 and Wy1275 are both the Brakspear Bitter yeast. Which, IMO and as an avid imbiber of Brakspear bitter for many a year pre-closure, may well be bo****ks. Not even totally convinced they're the same yeast, although both are great for just about anything English.

MartinOC said:
Mate, that's pretty unusual for 1084! It's a veritable BEAST & I've had it chew-through a 1092 Porter/Scotch Ale even at 4C.

Underpitched? Aeration? Dunno, but it definitely sounds wrong for that strain.
I put it down to a combo of things, 500g of oats in the mash, a large portion of crystal malts and a 69c mash temp.

From memory the OG was 1:062 and the smack pack was well and truly swollen.

Ducatiboy stu said:
w1728 Scottish. Excellent in stouts as it can handle high Alc% and like a cooler ferment so great for winter brewing
I went to Cheeky Peak last week and the fellas had run out of liquid yeast. The good folk gave me some out of date stuff for free. I picked up 3 packs and this just came out of my fridge -
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1428493759.767695.jpg
Typical. Already pitched the 1098 (awakened on the store plate a little) which has a huge krausen on it after 20h at 18°C.

I've used 1099, 1275, 1084, 1469, us05, s04 and a few others. It's not a yeast driven style so a variety of ale yeasts will do the job well but the uk liquids are the best. Haven't tried the scottish in a stout but can see how it would work. Harder to go wrong than go right really.

second vote for 1728 - works a treat! keep it low, is a krausen monster too.

My oatmeal ended at 1.020 with 1084.... Chilean vanilla beans into the secondary.

Was fecking delish,
which is what matters over FG.

Back