Which yeast for a stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W1728 is a very universal yeast...goes well in anything.....Except lager

manticle said:
I've used 1099, 1275, 1084, 1469, us05, s04 and a few others. It's not a yeast driven style so a variety of ale yeasts will do the job well but the uk liquids are the best. Haven't tried the scottish in a stout but can see how it would work. Harder to go wrong than go right really.
I will definitely go along with what you're saying there. The best stout I have ever made was done with a lager yeast. There is just so much else going on in a stout, yeast is pretty much down the bottom of the list flavor wise. If you're making a RIS or some other high gravity stout you could easily get away with a super attenuating wine yeast, in fact that is what I personally would do, making sure it finishes not cloying.

Plenty have used Saison yeast in a stout also, I haven't, yet.

Tahoose said:
Plenty have used Saison yeast in a stout also, I haven't, yet.
You know what, I was going to joke about using a saison yeast, but sounds like some other smart ass beat me to it.

Not joking, plenty have done it and one day I'll give it a go. Not planning for another stout just yet.

dannymars said:
My oatmeal ended at 1.020 with 1084.... Chilean vanilla beans into the secondary.

Was fecking delish,
which is what matters over FG.
Nothin wrong with '20 when you're starting at 84!

Now the vanilla beans... sounds devine. I've got cloves and star anise in one right now...

mofox1 said:
Nothin wrong with '20 when you're starting at 84!

Now the vanilla beans... sounds devine. I've got cloves and star anise in one right now...
Preeeeeety sure he meant yeast 1084, Irish Ale.

Cant wait for winter here. Only a small window for them nice cool nights so the ferm sits at about 13-15*c and w1728 does its majic

TheWiggman said:
Do you have shares in Wyeast 1728 production Stu?
I would say he'd get good growth out of those shares...

Adr_0 said:
I would say he'd get good growth out of those shares...
I don't know if you noticed, Albert, but that was a pune or play on words.

If Ducatiboy stu has a 1728 addiction, mine is with 1275: when I brew my case swap IPA next weekend I'll be using it again, which will mean 4 out of the last 5 beers will have used it. Great yeast.

I did an ESB with burtonised water and w1275. It was well wicked

Apart from Coopers stout I believe that all the mainstream Austalian stouts are brewed with lager yeasts. Guinness (Draught and FES) have been brewed with lager yeasts since the 1970s when Tooheys got the gig off Coopers. Because their ale capacity was completely taken up with Tooheys Old (at that time) the deal was that they were allowed to use a lager yeast.

Then when CUB got the contract, they continued with a lager yeast ... Screwtop toured Yatala some years ago and confirmed it... and now that the contract is back with Lion I expect they are doing likewise.

Certainly doesn't hurt the likes of Sheaf, Invalid or Guinness FES in the bottles.

I'm drinking a stout made with wpl810 I had after making a steam beer the brew before. It is smooth as and most like Sheaf as any other stout I've had. I had no idea that they used a lager yeast for Sheaf, anyone else know this to be so?

Love Sheaf

As Australia lost most of its ales in the 20th century, the existing big breweries really only had lager brewing plant to make its beers, so had to make stouts in the same way as their mainstream beers. Exception Coopers, who didn't get into lagers until later. And still don't do very good lagers. :unsure:

Not being a commercial brewer but I'd guess the lagering tanks etc - a batch of say Sheaf Stout would have to take its place in the queue with the likes of Carlton Draught etc and would be subjected to a similar brewing schedule.
Maybe not unlike Tip Top bakeries doing a sourdough.

Back