Which Wyeast For Aussie Style Lager With Flavour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score
I have some fresh PoR flowers in the freezer and the weather is lager brewing weather.

Looking at using a liquid yeast that will complement a refreshing Aussie style lager which has a bit more flavour than the ones we tend to associate with the style. A bit malty, good body but not dense and still dry in the finish.

Looking at pils malt, a touch of wheat, some rice, PoR for bittering only (maybe around 35 IBU) 5-5.5 ish % and a liquid lager yeast to top it off. From web descriptions I'm leaning towards Budvar (WY2000).

Any suggestions?

2124 Bohemian Lager yeast. best general purpose lager yeast IMO :icon_cheers:

Cheers - I was looking at that one. How different from the budvar?

I'm not sure you've convinced me there scruffy. Was looking at something a bit more traditionally considered a lager yeast as opposed to Kolsch or alt type ale/psuedo lager yeasts.

How does 2565 go with PoR?

2124 = WLP830 right

...thought a Klsch might be suitably left field for a man of your considerable.

2001 then... be a scientist.

Hey Manticle

I've been using wyeast 2042 in my last few batches of "aussie" lager. I'm pretty happy with it. I've got one on tap at the moment. A very simple recipe- trad ale, POR bittering only to 25IBU and some suger. I'm amazed at the amount of hop flavour that comes through.

My only gripe with this yeast is it takes ages to clear.

I've also been eyeing off the 2252-pc. Has anybody tried this yet? I might get a packet and give it a burst.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

MOM

A

My 2c = No stinky Czech Pils with POR

Wyeast 2007

Screwy

...thought a Klsch might be suitably left field for a man of your considerable.

2001 then... be a scientist.

I do have a lab coat.

Definitely not opposed to the idea - just thought I'd pump out one with a bit more 'science' then tweak the next one.

So many suggestions now I'm just as confused as when I first asked. Cheers for the replies

I was thinking a bit. I would use 2112 over all suggestions.

SwingingBeef: Was waiting for that one. I need something to offer some of the people I know something other than stout, alt, cider, porter, APA, tripel, (generally) failed dubbel and aged brett beers. A few people I know only drink pale coloured beers and it is a challenge to make a clean one that is acceptable to their limited palates.

If I get it right I might make a batch or two for my brother's wedding in April 2011. No point forcing beer on him he won't drink.

SwingingBeef: Was waiting for that one. I need something to offer some of the people I know something other than stout, alt, cider, porter, APA, tripel, (generally) failed dubbel and aged brett beers. A few people I know only drink pale coloured beers and it is a challenge to make a clean one that is acceptable to their limited palates.

If I get it right I might make a batch or two for my brother's wedding in April 2011. No point forcing beer on him he won't drink.

I had a cream ale brewed with 2112 ( unders ) and it was the fastest keg i've ever had on. Very easy to drink beer, and the swill drinkers love it. Sooo easy to make, and your recipe looks pretty good. Just remember to keep the IBU's low, as i made one, but hopped it like a standard all malt lager. Too much for the light body of the cream ale. Still lovely beer though, just a touch too bitter for the super light body.

yeah, I get ya.
I just reckon that it is almost not worth bothering to brew a golden fizzy lager in this country.
You can get (well, i can in wollongong) Pilsner Urquell, Budvar, Becks, Konisburg, Carlsberg, Heiniken and import Stella all for around $50 a carton.
Once you factor all costs into brewing something like this, including your lager time and elec costs for maintaining the temps, Im not sure you end up ahead.
Where as you can brew some mighty fine belgian or brittish style brews for a fraction of the cost of the carton price.

I also think that Australian Style Lager is not something flavourful. It is a simple lightly malted fizzy beverage with little or no hop or yeast character, and that is what makes it uniquely Aussie. It is also the reason it is hard for home brewers to replicate. There is nothing for your mistakes to hide behind.

Sorry to go OT Mant...whats the deal with rice.

Ive seen it pop up in various recipies and disussions.

Also ive seen rice hulls, been mentioned

Cheers

Tidal Pete makes magnificent lagers with 2042 (Danish) as Batz and Screwtop will attest. They are basically Carlton Crowns with a bit more colour and flavour. I believe CUB yeasts are sourced from Copenhagen. Personally I've been just using S-189.

The deal with rice is that it gives a smooth grainy lighter bodied beer - you could put sugar in instead but there's a subtle difference in flavour. For an Aussie that knocks the socks off the visitors I just do my old faithful:

4000 BB Galaxy (or JW Pils would be similar)
1000 Rice cooked to a slurry
330 Carapils

90 min boil with 20g POR flowers

S-189
Start fermenting at 12 and let it drift up to 18 on the Fridgemate over 10 days
Lager in cold fridge 10 days
Keg

I just did the same one with W-34/70 and entered it into the BABBs comp where it got a score of 34.5 but.............

"This is a well made beer that has no obvious flaws, but I am not sure if it is strictly to style. It seems to be more of a German/European Lager or Pilsener with the maltiness."

And:

" Pleasant drinking but not quite true to style"

:D

I think the yeast did that, so I'll actually try the Danish next time - and less malt and more riiiiiiiiiiice :drinks:

4000 BB Galaxy (or JW Pils would be similar)
1000 Rice cooked to a slurry
330 Carapils

90 min boil with 20g POR flowers

Yep. I think this would be a great option. Saying that the JW pils is alot maltier than the galaxy. You could even get away with trad ale, bb ale. I dont think it really matters.

Yeast - danish/american/swiss go any. If you have something already use it.

Back