Which Wyeast For Aussie Style Lager With Flavour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on the Wyeast 2112.

Had a mate's beer that used this and it comes up nice and clean, and at a higher temp of 18 gets that slight 'mousyness' that Fosters, VB and Melb Bitter get.

So take this one low close to 14 degrees for clean refreshing drop, higher to make it like CUB! :lol:

On this subject have done a bit of research and discovered that Fosters actually supplied their lager yeast strain to Carlsberg after their brewery had their stocks diminished due to German occupation and a lack of supplies in the late 40s. Some sources say their Danish Brewery got bombed also, but unsure on this one.

Anyhow, the long and the short of it is you can also take a Danish lager yeast (the one modelled on the carlsberg strain) and brew a little higher than normal you will also get that 'aussie' flavour. Supposedly Fosters and Carlsberg lager yeast is one and the same thing.

Or so the internet tells me. :) Whether both strains have changed a bit over the years is more than likely, but at one point they were both cousins!

History lesson over!

Hopper.

If you want aussie hop flavour in a german style lager i would forgot about rice, corn and the rest of the contents of your pantry and use the KISS principle.

100% pils malt
60/20/0 min addition of POR flowers going light on the late additions.
Whichever wyeast lager strain floats your boat or if you can get your hands on some, WLP833.

You don't need sugar or maize or rice to brew a malty, dry, crisp lager.

EDIT - spelling

Pretty much my current thinking. Might go the budvar for one batch and keep a simple grain bill with no adjunct and do the 2007 from rook and use the adjunct for a second batch. I'm sure both will go down a treat in the warmer months provided nothing stuffs up. Will be fermenting both as cool as they go.

Pretty much my current thinking. Might go the budvar for one batch and keep a simple grain bill with no adjunct and do the 2007 from rook and use the adjunct for a second batch. I'm sure both will go down a treat in the warmer months provided nothing stuffs up. Will be fermenting both as cool as they go.

So the only Aussie thing about it will be the PoR - which in Aussie Lagers is hardly even a perceptable flavour?

I'm making a Euro Lager tomorrow ... VB recipe, but with Saaz :D :p .

So the only Aussie thing about it will be the PoR - which in Aussie Lagers is hardly even a perceptable flavour?

I'm making a Euro Lager tomorrow ... VB recipe, but with Saaz :D :p .

Aussie malts plus aussie hops, made in australia by an australian. Haven't heard of an aussie lager yeast; have you? Water will come from Australia too if that makes you feel better.

Really it was a descriptor for others to get an idea of what I'm on about mr wheatless wheat beer. Pretend I put a winky and a pokey tongue icon at the end of that - not much of an emoticon user.

So many choices hey, 2042 is a good yeast for the style your after IMO, made this recently, and after a month of lagering and some band-aid hopping, its an absolute cracker, i missed the POR flavour coming thru due to using such a small amount, the brewlog on the above recipe will tell you my on the day stuff ups.
As some else mentioned 2042 takes a while to floc, it does, and its a slow bugger @ 9deg and its restrictive in what "to style" beers you want to do, I only did 2 brews and then moved on to a more malt focused lager yeast 2206.

edit, hope the new link works

Really it was a descriptor for others to get an idea of what I'm on about mr wheatless wheat beer.

Nigerian calling the Kenyan, black ... just sayin'. :p

I'm making an Aussie Ale with Aussie ingredients following the recipe for Duvel because my mates like Coopers.

God, next thing you'll be telling us you make wheat beers without wheat!

Not really the same thing is it - I'm making a beer with some australian ingredients including a signature australian hop (which I'd suggest has much more discernible flavour than you give it credit for) as opposed to a beer without any of the primary ingredient it's directly named after.

Shall we continue this some other time?

Cheers Haysie - had considered the danish lager.

ive found that a good yeast for an ultra clean aussie style lager is wyeast american lager. the beers ive had mega swill drikers enjoy most were offhand 5 kg jw pils, 1kg rice and 20 ibu of super pride at 90m.

Just use S-189, man. The PoR is going to shit all over any subtlties a flash lager yeast will give it.

It's like grating truffles on baked beans.

Notwithstanding your opinion on PoR or its culinary equivalent, one very simple reason I don't buy many dry yeasts bar US05 anymore is the fact that I can split my wyeast packs up and get many brews - thus making them very cost effective AND having a great number of strains on hand all the time. With dry yeast I tend not to bother reculturing. S-189 doesn't seem to be available from grain and grape where I get my ingredients - the saflager they do list comes in around $9 whereas the wyeast I can use and reuse comes in at less than $14.

Also the question was 'which wyeast should I use' not 'should I use one'.

Cheers though.

PS: How does something that has 'no discernible flavour' shit all over the subtleties of a lager yeast?

I've never used POR as a late addition. However for an authentic Aussie flavour, Superpride is good as a late hop, a lot smoooother. Also Aus Cluster if you are looking for a XXXX style.

So I'd go bitter with POR and late with Superpride or Cluster. In fact when I eventually get my cold break bloody experiment happening - today dammit (frustration) <_< I'll be doing just that, a double batch of three-X with POR and Cluster. And no it's not the Chinese Cluster :rolleyes:

It's like grating truffles on baked beans.

Some people love baked beans and dont like truffle. Much like i enjoy POR or Superpride and dont really care for most dried yeasts. So dumping dried yeast onto a well crafted lager made with a unjustified and misrepresented commercial grade hop to me is blasphemy!

Some people love baked beans and dont like truffle. Much like i enjoy POR or Superpride and dont really care for most dried yeasts. So dumping dried yeast onto a well crafted lager made with a unjustified and misrepresented commercial grade hop to me is blasphemy!

I so totally agree with the above statement.

Cheers,
BB

You are using it in late additions.

Where did you get that idea from?

From post one:
Looking at pils malt, a touch of wheat, some rice, PoR for bittering only (maybe around 35 IBU) 5-5.5 ish % and a liquid lager yeast to top it off. From web descriptions I'm leaning towards Budvar (WY2000).

I've since decided to do one without rice and one with, one with Wy budvar (the riceless one) and one with Wy American pilsner. No mention of late additions (nor any thought of doing so).

manticle, if you have as much success with your lager as you do showing NickJD to be the fool he is, the keg will be gone within an hour.

Where did you get that idea from?

Dr. Smurto said:

If you want aussie hop flavour in a german style lager i would forgot about rice, corn and the rest of the contents of your pantry and use the KISS principle.

100% pils malt
Whichever wyeast lager strain floats your boat or if you can get your hands on some, WLP833.

You replied: "Pretty much my current thinking."

Sorry if I read it wrong.

Dr. Smurto said:

100% pils malt

You replied: "Pretty much my current thinking."

Sorry if I read it wrong.

I meant the KISS/adjunct free bit.

manticle, if you have as much success with your lager as you do showing NickJD to be the fool he is, the keg will be gone within an hour.

anrflolza9.gif
free-sign-smileys-982.gif

Back