Which Wyeast For Aussie Style Lager With Flavour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no. :beerbang:

manticle, if you have as much success with your lager as you do showing NickJD to be the fool he is, the keg will be gone within an hour.

That actually is pretty funny. But what's worrying me at this stage is Bum hasn't come in to put the boot in too.

I hope he's okay.

Quick update and question.

I brewed the two lagers within a day or so of each other. No chilled both while I grew yeast and made starters - Budvar yeast was from a smack pack and so stepping up was quick and easy. American yeast was from a slant so it took a bit longer.

Anyway fermented as cool as possible (probably 10-11 degrees). Had previously put down a german style lager too - when I measured the gravity of German and first aussie at 1020, I racked both. Waited a couple more days and racked the one with 2007 yeast - stupidly I assumed and didn't check gravity. Once racked I checked and it was 1030 which is way earlier than I would normally rack a 1050ish beer.

The other two are now lagering and taste great in samples - nice and clear looking too.

The 2007 was tasting promising but today I noticed a big hit of acetylaldehyde. I'm guessing I stressed the yeast by racking too early. What I've read and what I've heard is that yeast will clean up acetylaldehyde given time and further conditioning will help. Can anyone who's had acetylaldehyde and let it sit confirm this? I'm in no rush for the brew - just green apple is the last thing I want in it.

Fresh PoR flowers are great though.

I did just find this
Wyeast 2007 is reported to have the slight apple like flavors that distinguish all AB products.

from here https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ro/www/BoneyardUn...ots/wyeast.html

so maybe that's all it is?

The 2000 was tasting promising but today I noticed a big hit of acetylaldehyde. I'm guessing I stressed the yeast by racking too early. What I've read and what I've heard is that yeast will clean up acetylaldehyde given time and further conditioning will help. Can anyone who's had acetylaldehyde and let it sit confirm this? I'm in no rush for the brew - just green apple is the last thing I want in it.

acetaldehyde is a sign of oxidation too. as you have read, yeast will clean up after themselves. if i was you, 4-6pints to terminal gravity i would let it raise to ambients to keep them active and ensure they cleanup wahtever they can.

I haven't used 2000 Manticle but I've had a couple of batches with acetaldehyde. How to get rid of it is no mystery, it just takes time. I take it you have left it on some yeast?

Thanks guys. Mistype, now edited as it is 2007 which is displaying the apple character. Note the edit re- 2007 review which suggests some apple is common. 2000 version is currently lagering and tastes as I'd hope. Pretty clear already too - no finings or polyclar yet.

Fourstar - unlikely this is any more oxidised than any of the others. Possible, but unlikely. I will be raising the temp just off FG for a diacetyl rest so hopefully that gets rid of the apples too. As per usual, I'll leave it a further week after FG then start the lagering process.

@Razz - it's still fermenting so it's on yeast- racking resulted in increased activity and nice new krausen forming so maybe it had stalled a little? Was 1020 today when I measured it.

Update:

Bottled the 2000 today as well as a german style lager I put down just prior. Both spent a good amount of time in secondary, both lagered for a bit over 2 weeks. Having only one fridge I had to use my laundry sink with frozen PET bottles for one fermenter and rely on cold melbourne weather. I swapped each fermenter around most days (so 12 hours in fridge, 12 hours in cold water bath ad nauseaum).

The 2007 version with rice is having a little diacetyl rest at the minute. Acetylaldehyde seems to have reduced a bit but time will tell.

Based on the sample I had while bottling, 2000 version was just what I'm chasing - malt forward, fresh PoR flavour, nice and clear (pretty sure I didn't fine and left out the polyclar).

German style lager was delicious, a bit cloudy but reminds me why I'm so in love with tettnanger.

Back