Which Us Brewery?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was no Pliny at Stone when I was there last year, although they are the distrubtors for it. Craft beer stores run out of it fairly quickly and often wont put it on the shelves - you have to ask for it. Expect a limit of two bottles. As suggested earlier in the thread look up places on the beer advocate site, its worth the time and effort.

If you are near Hermosa beach at all in your travels the Boogaloo Cafe has Pliny on tap.

Yeah I might try a few Craft Brew places such as The Yardhouse near Staples Center and there is a place near Santa Monica/venice Beach which is one of our day trips... Will Google boogaloo later, Thanks for the tip.

I have been reading reviews but some people slam places that others say are the ones to hit up. Makes it a bit confusing. Think I need to wait to get Pliney until I get to LA for the last three days as the first four are Anaheim based and it seems a bit harder to come across great places there.

Use your passport for ID where required rather than just your drivers licence. When I was at Stone in Oct 2010 they told me they no longer accepted foreign drivers licences as ID, only passport.

I'm a bit hazy if this is right but I think there's a good craft beer bar in Santa Monica called the Library Ale House. Where ever it is, it's worth a visit.

Awesome Kranky. I have read about this place and had it on the list.

Jez-Thanks for the heads up. Would suck to go all the way out there just to be told to leave. I am keen for some Stone goodness plus the other beers they have on bottle I will be stocking up plus maybe a few shirts from the store.

Definitely look for Pliny on tap rather than bottle. Bottle is still nice but probably something you could make on a good day. On tap it is frigging magic.

I always struggle to find a full session worth of awesome beers at the Yardhouse. It's basically 90 taps of the usual suspects. If you're impressed by Trummer Pils on tap, etc, then you may get better mileage than I do there.

Oh I thought it was one of the more diverse ranges... all good still plenty of time to replace this. I looked up "places to buy Pliny in LA" and it gave me the Surley Goat. Then I looked at the tap list and Pliny wasn't on it... may have to wait till closer to make sure it happens!

Just looked now and they have it again... might be a timing issue =)

For the Queenslanders - our laminated drivers licences look like home made fake IDs to most Americans. No worky.

Some states really police the 21 yo thing and will ID everyone who looks under 50. Some of the enforcement agencies are constantly trying to entrap the servers at bars and restaurants so they have to.

Rarely, if ever, do I get IDed in NYC or New Mexico.

Back on topic, my guide to San Diego is over here:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=950016

Summary: definitely visit stone. The food, beer, and venue is awesome. I wouldn't bother with the tours at the big guys, it's a canned speech by a trained monkey. Go visit one of the Nano breweries and talk to the brewer!

For the Queenslanders - our laminated drivers licences look like home made fake IDs to most Americans. No worky.

Some states really police the 21 yo thing and will ID everyone who looks under 50. Some of the enforcement agencies are constantly trying to entrap the servers at bars and restaurants so they have to.

Rarely, if ever, do I get IDed in NYC or New Mexico.

Back on topic, my guide to San Diego is over here:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=950016

Summary: definitely visit stone. The food, beer, and venue is awesome. I wouldn't bother with the tours at the big guys, it's a canned speech by a trained monkey. Go visit one of the Nano breweries and talk to the brewer!

Cheers... I may try to swing it so that I see either GF or Ballast Point too if I skip the tours it will make it easier to do things in my own time. Do you still get to see much in terms of their set up or is that a tour only feature?

Awesome Guide. I will try to find a whole foods :beerbang:

I looked up "places to buy Pliny in LA" and it gave me the Surley Goat. Then I looked at the tap list and Pliny wasn't on it... may have to wait till closer to make sure it happens!

Just looked now and they have it again... might be a timing issue =)

If you head over to Surly Goat make sure you have the address including street number handy. There is no signage & it is just a black door. I walked past it a few times before just pushing open the unmarked black door and voila! Surly Goat Bar!

Had an ok tap list but it was nearly empty at 9pm on a Tues night. Blue Palms had a better taplist & better vibe in general.

If you get to San Diego get to Hamiltons Tavern. Great beers, great atmosphere & great people.

If you head over to Surly Goat make sure you have the address including street number handy. There is no signage & it is just a black door. I walked past it a few times before just pushing open the unmarked black door and voila! Surly Goat Bar!

Had an ok tap list but it was nearly empty at 9pm on a Tues night. Blue Palms had a better taplist & better vibe in general.

If you get to San Diego get to Hamiltons Tavern. Great beers, great atmosphere & great people.

Nice. Another place added to the list. I will be doing very well to make it to SD (or will have missed the last train back to LA or some shiz which is every possibility :lol: )
but will consider some places... for emergency purposes of course B)

I really enjoyed Hamiltons, it's a great beer bar. A couple of locals gave my mate & I a lift up to Toronado, another great SD beer bar (& unlike the SF original it has lighting, food and a clean dunny).

Cheers... I may try to swing it so that I see either GF or Ballast Point too if I skip the tours it will make it easier to do things in my own time. Do you still get to see much in terms of their set up or is that a tour only feature?

Yep you can see a lot of the Stone brewery from the bar. There is a big glass wall there.

Which reminds me of a story I heard out there:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...c=52006&hl=

Slight change of Plans. Just staying in North Hollywood area now. Bars only as the Missus is all knocked up and I wouldn't think I could get much more than a few Choice bars.

I am thinking of a few different ones though: Bluepalms is definitely going down as it is less than a mile from me, Mohawk Bend is probably also going down as it is not too far (this may not be true but it looks not too far away when I see it on the map of LA)
Might also manage Surly Goat if I can spot it. I also see no troubles going to Beirgarten which looks like it has a great list.
Santa Monica day trip so thinking of going to the Fathers Office there. Was also thinking Daily Pint but have heard the service can be a bit hit and miss and there are too many other awesome places to go if that's the case.

BevMo should be doable as it's next to a make up store the wife wants to go to....

Any other options for Taxi ride worthy places to go in those areas?

Cheers

Stone was opening a place in Pasadena I think ... might be open by now ..

bugeater said:
Yeah myself and the wife both got asked for ID at Walmart when buying some SNPA. The check out lady was even resisting when we offered to show her our passports as she wanted "American issued" ID. When we pointed out how that was impossible and ridiculous, she backed down. Mind you, that was the only time we were ever asked
CRAZY!

I was 20 when I road tripped the west coast of the US for 3 weeks and I managed to only ever get refused service/ID checked (not mutually exclusive, some check and still serve) in Las Vegas.. I was also playing pokies at the biggest time, and the "punishment" was being removed from the gaming floor.

Must have been a bad day!

Even at the baseball in NY (was there for a few days but flew) where they have the big check ID if you look under 40 badges on em.. Still got served!

That was around 6 years ago though!

/// said:
Stone was opening a place in Pasadena I think ... might be open by now ..
Oh yeah think I did see that. Near a Train station I think.

Maybe a little out of the way from North Hollywood, but if your doing Hollywood Blvd (Star Walk etc), you could always swing by a place I got some good beer at Romans Liquor on 1529 North La Brea Avenue. They had a health selection of Stones in there including some of the anniv editions.

I think I can squeeze it in. Need to get my bottles from somewhere :ph34r:

I tried to suss out Rameriz kegs and liquor. The wife google mapped it and it got shot down due to the potential of us getting... errr shot down!

The beer list for that place is nuts before you even look at the extensive liquor selection.

Either way I am going to crank stuff I know wont ever ship to NZ by choice.

Latest posts

Back