Which Pid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not used this item so can not comment

I did buy a auberins.com unit - because the aus $ was doing well and i had one already - lazy i know but i didnt want to have 2 different units on my control box.

they post quick ( delivered in a week i think). for my HLT i think a on off controller might have been ok but i spent the little bit more for the PID.... in the long run i think it will look better and the cost was not that much more.

I just thought mine was $44.50 USA without a sensor - a stainless liquid sensor was $30 odd USA.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm surprised at the limited response. Now with all the Hermes activity going I thought I would be able to find more info on this topic.I'm looking at the Auber instruments Model: SYL-2372P what do you think?Cheers Adam.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm surprised at the limited response. Now with all the Hermes activity going I thought I would be able to find more info on this topic.I'm looking at the Auber instruments Model: SYL-2372P what do you think?Cheers Adam.

I use this one http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_pag...p;products_id=3 on my hermit build. It drives an SSR, mine is 25A. The model you have mentioned has an internal relay and is quoted at a max of 300W @ 110V, so I don't think its suitable for driving a HERMS system. I spent the extra on the Auber gear after reading a bit on the US forums - in the grand scheme of things it wasn't a huge extra % overall. I think with upgraded pt100 sensor, SSR and cable it was just over $100 delivered. They also do a nice pre-cut alu box which I would get if I was doing it again.

I ended up getting this PID, this temp sensor, this SSR & this heat sink. Great combination when I had it running on my Rims.

Just curious - but do you ever use the ramp/soak feature on that PID?

I used the ramp / soak but not kiln.
Ramp was what temp I wanted & the time it took to get there & the soak was the set time at that temp.
To be honest, I didn't know what the heck the kiln was for.
I's a great unit though, 30 programmable steps for step mashes, protein rests & times to get you to the set temps.

I used the ramp / soak but not kiln.
Ramp was what temp I wanted & the time it took to get there & the soak was the set time at that temp.
To be honest, I didn't know what the heck the kiln was for.
I's a great unit though, 30 programmable steps for step mashes, protein rests & times to get you to the set temps.

I think this is exactly what I'm after. The ramp soak feature sounds really cool or stepped mashes. Is it easy to configure?

I've also got a auberins ramp/soak PID which I've been very happy with.
Programming it is very easy and not time consuming or complicated. It doesn't take more than 30 seconds to program a brew with 4 step/ramps. Once you've got it setup correctly and have brewed with it once you won't need to look at the instructions, very easy to use.

Make sure you set it up right and it will serve you very well. Remember to run the autotune function on your system at roughly mash temps and with a similar volume of water. I hadn't for the first 4ish brews and it was always about 0.8-1.4 degrees high. After the autotune it is perfect. Also check that your probe is reading the right temp and use the temperature offset to adjust. Mine was reading 1 degree too low but it's bang on now once the initial setup was completed.

I've also got a auberins ramp/soak PID which I've been very happy with.
Programming it is very easy and not time consuming or complicated. It doesn't take more than 30 seconds to program a brew with 4 step/ramps. Once you've got it setup correctly and have brewed with it once you won't need to look at the instructions, very easy to use.

I have mine at the sparky's getting wired as I type...

Any chance you could do a step by step guide - as to how to set up a programed step mash?

I have read the manual about 4000 times, and am sure if I dealing with an active unit it will be completely different but.. any-chance?

I have mine at the sparky's getting wired as I type...

Any chance you could do a step by step guide - as to how to set up a programed step mash?

I have read the manual about 4000 times, and am sure if I dealing with an active unit it will be completely different but.. any-chance?
[/quote

For a 55deg protein rest for 10mins, followed by a 1deg temp rise per minute for my system, followed by a 66deg sacc rest for 60mins, a ramp again, same time as before & a 78deg mash out for 10mins would be set like this:

C1:55, t:10 (ramp to 55deg for 10mins)
C2:55, t11 (ramp from 55deg, 1deg per min = 11mins to get to C:3, 66deg)
C3:66, t:60 ( 66deg rest for 60mins)
C4:66, t:12 (ramp from 66deg, 1deg per minute = 12mins to get to C5:, 78deg)
C5: 78, t10 (78deg rest for 10mins)
C6: 78, t0 ( 78deg for 0mins will end function)

Just a tip, when you have programmed it in & ready to go, push run on the controller & when it's in motion, immediately hold the hold button. This will allow your temp to ramp to the first 55deg rest without affecting the timer. If you just select run, the timer will also be activated & it may take you 5-10mins to get to 55deg, depending on your strike temp & once there, it will proceed to the next step regardless of the time you set for the 55deg rest. Once at 55deg, select run & let her go through the motions.

Hold the A/M button until you get a C01 flashing, put your mash in temp here then press set. Next it will ask you for the T01, this is the time you want the system to take to get from C01 and C02 (second temp setting). Then it asks for C02. If you wanted to keep the mash at a constant temperature you need to make C02 the same as C01 otherwise you will get a constant ramp up to C02 temp. Then it asks for T02 and so on.

So lets say we want to do a step mash where we start at 62*c where we sit for 30 minutes, then a ramp to 69*c over 15 minutes. Then we want to keep it at 69 for 15 mins followed by a ramp to 78 over 20 minutes then keep the mash at 78 until you come over and turn the pump off and start the boil (I do it this way so that I don't forget about the mash and end up pumping boiling wort through the mash). Then we want the unit to boil.

here are the steps we program in

C01- 62
T01- 30
C02- 62 (same as C01 as we want the temp to stay constant)
T02- 15 (this is the time it takes to get from 62 to 69)
C03- 69
T03- 15 (this is the time we want to stay at 69. We could also say this is the time we want to take getting from C03 to C04 which happen to be the same temperature in this case)
C04- 69
T04- 20 (time it takes to get betweek C04(69*c) and C05 (78*c)
C05- 78
T05- 0 (note that putting the time for 0 makes the mash stay at this temperature until you manually change it)
C06- 110
T06- 0

I will run the mash and manually change the step from step 5 to step 6 when it is time to boil. Changing the step manually is done by holding "set", selecting the desired step and then pressing step. I put step 6 in there for the boil. It doesn't reach 110 degrees which means the element is always on until I turn it off. There is a manual setting that can be enabled on this unit but I haven't enabled it as this works fine. It is probably ideal to use the manual setting which is just a matter of changing a setting in the setup (aka use the manual).

Hope that makes sense

Top work men! I sounds dead easy. I'm buying one.

Hold the A/M button until you get a C01 flashing, put your mash in temp here then press set. Next it will ask you for the T01, this is the time you want the system to take to get from C01 and C02 (second temp setting). Then it asks for C02. If you wanted to keep the mash at a constant temperature you need to make C02 the same as C01 otherwise you will get a constant ramp up to C02 temp. Then it asks for T02 and so on.

So lets say we want to do a step mash where we start at 62*c where we sit for 30 minutes, then a ramp to 69*c over 15 minutes. Then we want to keep it at 69 for 15 mins followed by a ramp to 78 over 20 minutes then keep the mash at 78 until you come over and turn the pump off and start the boil (I do it this way so that I don't forget about the mash and end up pumping boiling wort through the mash). Then we want the unit to boil.

here are the steps we program in

C01- 62
T01- 30
C02- 62 (same as C01 as we want the temp to stay constant)
T02- 15 (this is the time it takes to get from 62 to 69)
C03- 69
T03- 15 (this is the time we want to stay at 69. We could also say this is the time we want to take getting from C03 to C04 which happen to be the same temperature in this case)
C04- 69
T04- 20 (time it takes to get betweek C04(69*c) and C05 (78*c)
C05- 78
T05- 0 (note that putting the time for 0 makes the mash stay at this temperature until you manually change it)
C06- 110
T06- 0

I will run the mash and manually change the step from step 5 to step 6 when it is time to boil. Changing the step manually is done by holding "set", selecting the desired step and then pressing step. I put step 6 in there for the boil. It doesn't reach 110 degrees which means the element is always on until I turn it off. There is a manual setting that can be enabled on this unit but I haven't enabled it as this works fine. It is probably ideal to use the manual setting which is just a matter of changing a setting in the setup (aka use the manual).

Hope that makes sense

Again, thank so much for this post! I have been water testing my RIMS and between this and the manual I feel like Knight Rider making 'kit' do things as he is told! B)

ONLY drama I have is, what setting dictates the program only starts once at temp?

I know I have read about it somewhere but have re-searched and am lost to find it again.

eg. C08 is 67* and I set it to go to start at C08.. what is the setting that gets it there and THEN starts the timing??

As soon as I say go to step C08, the timer starts....

Is it the HY?

Latest posts

Back