Which Pale Ale Kit To Use...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asha05

Reaction score
Was planning on making a pale ale for xmas...i have some cascade hops, some us-05 yeast, some dry malt extract and some dextrose...was wondering what brand Pale Ale kits people prefer and recommend...

Cheers

:icon_chickcheers:

Coopers Australian Pale ale loves a bit of Cascade hops....
I made a great beer with the Pale Ale Kit and some hop bags.
Are you using the Hop bags or planning on a small boil?

Coopers Australian Pale ale loves a bit of Cascade hops....
I made a great beer with the Pale Ale Kit and some hop bags.
Are you using the Hop bags or planning on a small boil?

I purchased some hop bags the other day...was going to do a boil and maybe dry hop a few days in...

Just to clear something up here...when everyone mentions hops...i assume they mean hop pellets???

Just to clear something up here...when everyone mentions hops...i assume they mean hop pellets???

Whatever you can get your hands on Asha, but I find pellets are readily available, store well and are easy to deal with.

you tried extract??? i would get some more hops like centennial or amarillo and use with cascade. But if you plan on just a kit i found coopers aussie pale ale is a good base.

maybe go

coopers APA kit
800g light DME
500g dextrose
20g cascade @ 20 mins or just hop to what you like id go about 30-35 IBU myself or if you want less use less malt and more dextrose to balance it

Was planning on making a pale ale for xmas...i have some cascade hops, some us-05 yeast, some dry malt extract and some dextrose...was wondering what brand Pale Ale kits people prefer and recommend...

Cheers

:icon_chickcheers:

Using IanH's spreadsheet if you use Coopers Australian Ale, 1kg of DME, 1 kg of Dex, and then 20g Cascade for 60 mins, then 20g for 20mins gets you close to an IPA.

However more experienced guys may be able to help out on the hops additions. I have only done IPA by extract using Pride of ringwood and Cascade hops and its still conditioning.

you tried extract??? i would get some more hops like centennial or amarillo and use with cascade. But if you plan on just a kit i found coopers aussie pale ale is a good base.

maybe go

coopers APA kit
800g light DME
500g dextrose
20g cascade @ 20 mins or just hop to what you like id go about 30-35 IBU myself or if you want less use less malt and more dextrose to balance it

Havent done an extract but starting to play with hops, different yeasts and grains...See how that goes and take it from there...Nothing quite like sneaking out to the shed and cracking a beer you made yourself...!

If you have bags you could try one in a cup of hop water...
Let it sit in a cup of water for around 10 minutes...
Pour it into the fermenter after you've filled it up.
The receipe I did was only 19l but it was bloody good.
I also used a kilo of Dry Light Malt... if you're going to more that a kilo of fermentable sugars in then you can make it up 20 or 21l.
I dry hopped with a 2nd bag at 4 days or so...
I purchased some hop bags the other day...was going to do a boil and maybe dry hop a few days in...
Edit: Can't go wrong with US-05 and the Coopers Pale Ale Kit

hehe yeah I am enjoying a all POR ATM its bloody nice cant wait to crack my next 4 batches but it pays to wait :p. Just do a flavour addition for the pale ale kit to spice it up a bit I have never found they needed a bittering addition but I have never tried so cant comment to much :p I find 30-35 IBU with fruity hops is about right for me :p just dont use 20g of chinook in last 20mins of the boil wow thats like getting kicked in the face i think haha

If you have bags you could try one in a cup of hop water...
Let it sit in a cup of water for around 10 minutes...
Pour it into the fermenter after you've filled it up.
The receipe I did was only 19l but it was bloody good.
I also used a kilo of Dry Light Malt... if you're going to more that a kilo of fermentable sugars in then you can make it up 20 or 21l.
I dry hopped with a 2nd bag at 4 days or so...

What hop quantities did you use?

If you have the Hop bags they should have 12g in the each.
They are in the Morgans packets right? (I think they're Morgans)
They look like tea bags but with hops :)
What hop quantities did you use?

ok lets clear this up do you have hop tea bags or hop pellets??? lol it will make a difference

Yeah... you can get the tea bags but the pellets are far better...
Fresher etc... Next question is what size pot do you have and do you have the Kit/Extract Spreadsheet?
Found here:
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...showtopic=29655
You should be able to put your kit in there with your malts and hop quanities.
I would be looking at a 20 - 30 minute boil. You're going to need to watch the bitterness.
The Pale ale kits already clock in at around 15 IBU so any bitterness from the hops will go onto of that...
Hop pellets...bought the bags you use to boil in...like stockings...didnt know u could get hop tea bags...
Edit: Go right to end and work backward to find the latest version of the spreadsheet.

Yeah... you can get the tea bags but the pellets are far better...
Fresher etc... Next question is what size pot do you have and do you have the Kit/Extract Spreadsheet?
Found here:
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...?showtopic=2965
You should be able to put your kit in there with your malts and hop quanities.
I would be looking at a 20 - 30 minute boil. You're going to need to watch the bitterness.
The Pale ale kits already clock in at around 15 IBU so any bitterness from the hops will go onto of that...

Edit: Go right to end and work backward to find the latest version of the spreadsheet.
Not sure what that link was for mate...i have about a 15ltr pot...think it it big enough...!!!

When were you planing on making this, Asha? You'll find that with a great many of the above recipes the hops will have faded to buggery by Xmas if you make it now. Just start banging down some beers now so you can work out what to brew in a few months time.

When were you planing on making this, Asha? You'll find that with a great many of the above recipes the hops will have faded to buggery by Xmas if you make it now. Just start banging down some beers now so you can work out what to brew in a few months time.

Yeh, I agree. Get some beer going and try it and see what you like.

Get some decent dry yeast.

Try the Coopers Australian Bitter, I find this a good base whether you are going to do a boil with some hops or just do a steep of some flavour and dry hop some aroma hops. I find that the 1.5Kg Coopers LLME is a bit much with this kit, so I would go for just 1Kg of LDME. Play with the hops a fair bit, to see what you like. I like a combination of Pilgrim & Galaxy with this kit. Watch the Galaxy you may not need more than 6g.

I have made some great Pale ales with the Black Rock Pilsner Blond. Again just add 1Kg of LDME This is a lighter kit good for Pale ales wher you want the hops to dominate more. Try hops like Cascade or some Chinook. I have used the kit yeast with this with good results at around 18 Deg.C.

Keep it simple to start, and start tasting your beer.

Fear_n_Loath

Back