Where To Get A Big Ss Pot?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixa

Barking Hound Brewery
Reaction score
:D
So where have you all got your SS pots from?
I'm after one to do say a 25l batch. I know some use a cut down keg, some a smaller pot. Where do you all get them from?
Without costing an arm, leg, and first born.. SWMBO has cut down the available beer budget since the keg system went in...
:beer:

go for the ali pots as a 60 litre job cost u aroun 100 bucks

Gidday Fixa,

I've not been able to fork out for a big ss pot yet either. I'm using a 25l al pot and a 15 l ss pot. Both of which I picked up at a op shop/vinnies. It's a bit of mucking around but I can fit both pots on the stove top and all I do is adjust hops additions to each. No worries really.

Floculator

Tim

Kitchen/catering supplies, google to see whats close to you. 60L SS around $230 - $290

I got mine on E-bay $147 plus post $30 add on afew half inch SS threaded sockets and few more SS bits and it kinda has the bling bling look :D

Cheers Monkale

Pic145.JPG

fixa, let everyone know what you're looking for ...family, friends, neighbours ...

sooner or later someone will know someone who has one ...or can come by one ;)

this was scored from a mate's neighbour ...FREE!

stockpot1.jpg

i picked up 2 x 20L SS stockpots from red dot today, $10 each...

Got mine from an Asian Supermarket, ~$50 for ~50L. They're still pretty thin, but a couple of people of used them and reckon you just need to watch them a bit...I'm yet to fire mine in anger, but I'm quietly cofident.

Checkout the used industrial equipment suppliers & remember that they often have stuff which isn't in their monthly specials list. Give em a call, tell em it's for brewing & they'll happily help out as they normally deal with corporates / businesses, so a home brewer makes a welcome change. :beer:

I picked up a huge 180l SS pot complete with 2 x 1" threaded outlets for about $160 from Fallsdell here in sydney. Over the top I know, but I shouldn't have to worry about boilovers :D :super: It also gives me capacity to step up to quad batches no worries. B)

Fallsdell have several likely candidates at present, check out their web site here

There are a few other suppliers like falsdell, eg Ernest Flemming.

Crozdog

Howdy Croz,

A few of us went through this exercise some months ago. We had a look at Fallsdell but too expensive. I ended up getting a Robinox SS 70lt pot from Allquip. delivered for about $235.

T.D. found the prices to be better at kenscomm though I think only Allquip does the Robinox brand.

At kenscomm an 80lt ali pot Pot is $115. 60lt is $92 and 50lt is $82. (Not sure if price incl. GST. See quote below)

Just had a quick look but I've been unable to find the ss prices at kenscomm. The following comments from T.D. and mika-lika might help...

The stainless pots are there at Ken's Commercial Kitchens, they are just deep within one of the other categories - God only knows why! Try page 28 onwards in the "Gastronorm pots and pans" category. Still pretty cheap - 70L is $185. Those prices are excluding GST though, I only realised that yesterday!!

Mika_lika in May

Tested the waters at Kens and went all the way to checkout. Total for the 70Ltr Staino pot was $206.80
This included postage and GST.

Good luck Croz!

PP

I have had my eye on one of those Robinox SS pots from Allquip, but the KensComm units (I am looking at a 50lt), is cheaper.

What are your thoughts on your purchase?

How thick is the base on the Allquip?

Has anybody bought a KensComm unit?

If so what are your thoughts, base thickness etc...?

Cheers,

SJ

BTW... Kenscomm SS pots start at page 21 Gastronorm and pans.

gday fixa,

i've got a spare keg you can have, i'm back out to work for 11 days again tomorrow, i've still got your mobile # so i'll give you a bell when i'm back.

cheers

yard

pm or email me if you're not going to be about.

Hi guys,

I'm currently in Sri Lanka and have been looking at pots for brewing in the markets around Colombo. They have any size pots you could imagine. I'm looking at buying a 40 or 50 litre aluminium one which is fitted with a brass tap. Its around $40 Aus, which is pretty cheap. I just logged on to see if there were any of you that were against using aluminium pots for brewing. I guess looking at this thread, that would be a "no".

P.S. Sri lankan beer (3 coins Riva) is a pretty good drop too.

Cheers yardy! i owe you a few beers then!

PP

I have had my eye on one of those Robinox SS pots from Allquip, but the KensComm units (I am looking at a 50lt), is cheaper.

What are your thoughts on your purchase?

How thick is the base on the Allquip?

If so what are your thoughts, base thickness etc...?

Cheers,

SJ

EDIT: DJR has just brought it to my attention that the pots from Kenscom are Robinox pots so some comments below are now irrelevant...

Howdy SJ,

I'm actually very pleased with the Robinox. It's a lifetime purchase so I'm not worried about paying the extra $30. This unit is solid! It's very hard to tell the thickness of the base but it looks like 10mm which is huge. You'll definitely have no scorching problems. The lid is solid and fits beautifully as well. Some other things to consider might be:...

1. Ring both manufacturers and ask thicknesses etc. They can usually give you wall thickness but sometimes not the base. If so, ask the weight of the unit. This should give you a good idea on how solid it will be.

2. Consider going for a 70 litre. The price difference is not much and there are many advantages over the 50 litre. You can relax about boilovers. If you want, you can also double-batch. The 70 litre has a 45cm base so fits well over a 3 ring burner. Smaller pots will waste, to an extent, the heat of the outside ring. Also, when not in use, you can store a considerable amount of brewing gear inside your kettle so it is not a waste of space. (I'm in a 1 brm apartment!)

3. Pots are usually short and squat when compared to a keg so evaporation rates are higher. I don't see this as being a negative though as evaporation is one of the things you are after in a boil.

By the way, the dimensions of the 50 litre Robinox are 40cm x 40 cm. The 70 litre is 45cm x 45cm.

Ah! Just thought of another idea... If you lack fridge space, you could even put a camping mat/insulation around your pot and, with the use of ice bricks/water, use it as a fermenting fridge when not being used as a kettle. Excellent! Looks like I've just solved how to keep my lagers cool in secondary!

A 70 litre pot will hold a blue cube so there's another advantage of the 70. (Though the lid sticks up about 13mm on one side - bugger.)

Hope that's enough thoughts for you - LOL!

Cheers
Pat

PP

Kenscom pots are Robinox, i don't know what PP is smoking :) . Have a 40L Ally one, all good. THe model numbers and everything are the same, Ken just sells them for not much above cost. Watch out with shipping though, ring them and ask for a shipping quote to QLD, in NSW it's fine but i don't think they use the most economical shipping.

Thanks for the correction DJR. I only ever found the aluminium pots on the Kenscomm site and they had no brand name. Then I saw SJ's post which mentioned, 'Gastronorm,' so assumed that was the brand name. Have edited my post above accordingly and stopped smoking!

Re my comment above about insulating the kettle and using it as a fermenting fridge, I now have a lager that's in secondary sitting inside my kettle. A camping mat and a few ice bricks is keeping it nicely at 10 degrees (ambient 20) with just a few ice bricks. Big problem solved for me although it doesn't look too attractive sitting in the middle of my apartment- lol!

Cheers
PP

Latest posts

Back