Where should I grab a frothy in Melbourne?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreadMurderer

Reaction score
Hello folks!

I'm heading to Melbourne in less than two weeks now and I'm formulating a list of pubs and beer shops I need to visit (ideally get a job too, see post here). Now for all you Melbournites where would you recommend? I'm looking for craft beer, good range, knowledgeable staff, etc. I'm leaving Beijing where the selection isn't massive but definitely growing, and my home is Scotland where the craft beer scene has all ready started to explode, just to give you some background.

Super excited about coming to Australia and plan to drink a lot when I arrive. :)

Cheers,

Dan

EDIT:

List now added for all to glaze their eyes over, updated as and when...

View attachment melbourne_beer.xls

Yob's house is a good start. He makes pretty good beer and sells hops.

Mrs Parma's is alright for a range but word of warning they serve beers really cold. I use it as a place to take mates that are new to craft beer. Something about a parma makes them feel at home.

I dont mind a pint here and there before the footy at the corner hotel, it gets a tad busy but close to the station and mcg.

Beer deluxe at fed square.

I had a few more however have not been to the city for a while with home brew stocks and spring/summer BBQs so far this season.

Local tap house in Balaclava, Park hotel in Werribee, Newport beer and wine room, Mountain Goat brewery, Beer Deluxe, the Crimean in Nth Melbourne has good food and often a few good beers on tap, Belgian Beer Cafe (south bank).

It all really depends on where you are going to be. Most areas will have a few good places for a drink.

JD

Great Northern in carlton, bar fred in Carlton, Cookie (full of yuppies and bad loud music but good bar stock), Young and jacksons in cbd is OK. Beer deluxe has a second venue - in Hawthorn I think. Temple brewing in brunswick.

Atticus Finch in Brunswick

Bottleshops - great northern, carwyn cellars in thornbury, blackhearts and sparrows in brunswick (next to atticus finch) and carlton, Harvest in Northcote, Prince in essendon, slow beer in hawthorn, purvis in Richmond and Surrey Hills.

If you can get a car head down to the Red Hill Brewery on the Mornington Peninsula, it's a bit over an hour from Melbourne outside of rush hour and whilst some of the staff in the past have been borderline bloody rude the brewer I spoke to during a tour was very pleasant, the location is nice and they do some excellent beer :D

+100 for mountain goat open Wed and Fri nights only. Also beer deluxe in feed square (downstairs) is good for a selection. I thought red hill brewery closed its doors to the public? There's plenty of places though.

Wow, great response so far! I'll get my Google on with all of these...

With regards to location I'll be in Melbourne for the forseeable next 12 months and willing to travel for a good brew, or two, three.... ;-)

The Alehouse Project is always on my todo list each time I head to Melb. Love that place.

If you're in the northern suburbs The Raccoon Club in Thornbury has a selection of rotating local beers on tap and heaps in bottles, free pool and games, great music and they encourage people to order in. My local and my fav Melb bar!

Royston for dinner then Mountain Goat for drinks

Alehouse project

Terminus

(as for Red Hill, friends went there and confirmed no longer open to public. Apparently still some limited functions tho)

Mountain Goat (Richmond), Young & Jacksons (City), Cookie (City), Beer DeLuxe (City), Mrs. Parmas (City), Terminus (North Fitzroy - my favourite).

My regular is the Dan O'Connell in Carlton (corner Alexandra Parade and Canning St )- head there every Saturday arvo for poetry shenanigans. They've been building up quite a nice line in craft beers in the last year or so. Always a selection of craft beers on tap, and plenty more in the fridge from both local and international brewers. I was sort of sad to see my old pre-craft-beer regular tipple, Carlton Draught, vanish from the taps lately - but the beers they replaced it with are delish. The pub meals are lovely and filling (though bring back the lamb shanks, guys!) including some ace desserts. They're an Irish pub but none of that over-the-top-clover-leprechaun-diddly-dee-potatoes-bullshit. Staff very friendly, great vibe. (Okay, that's enough schmoozing for a free beer from me.) But seriously, great pub! Check them out!

Anything down Caulfield way?

Local tap house would be the closest AFAIK. only 5-10 minute drive from caulfield. Tram goes right past the front door as well. You'd get there for about 10 clams in a cab.

Young and jacksons in cbd is OK.

In spite of the fact that they're filled with backpackers and the Flinders Street Station hordes I've got a soft spot for them. Classic Melbourne pub. Go up to the first floor with friends and awkwardly avoid looking in the direction of Chloe....
http://www.youngandjacksons.com.au/chloe.html

If you're a meat-lover then try Josie Bones in Collingwood. Brilliant range of craft beer, including some brewed by one of the guys behind the bar (Boneyard IIRC). The restaurant is owned by Chris Badenoch and Julie Jones, both from Masterchef (TV) fame. Chris prides himself on "nose to tail" cooking, meaning he uses every last bit of the animal, which makes for some pretty bizarre dishes. If you have a group try the half pigs head, it's an experience to say the least....

Latest posts

Back